Quote Originally Posted by Kyanion View Post
    You know damn well what Nyel was talking about when you replied to their statement and I countered as I did. If you'd had quoted more of their post you'd have even seen as much when they talk about pvp
    I thought you were the same person honestly. No, I did not know what they meant. That is why I asked questions to find out his meaning and would be happy to read his details/thoughts as such.

If eluding to something game-specific and I have not had personal experience with that specific game then I don't know about it obviously. I play a lot of games but I haven't played every game. Even if it is a popular game relatively speaking.

I don't think it is necessary to fully quote every part of a post. That's a chore to read through every time in reply. That's tiresome.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    Sandpark?

Did you just coin a new phrase?
    The poster I was quoting used the phrase. it has been used before, however. So I knew the meaning of the phrase.

https://www.engadget.com/2014-01-30-...rpg-space.html
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-11-01 at 12:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    These are gameplay modes. Not changes to the gameplay.
    Raiding in WoW requires you to use actual rotations while solo play does not. It has gotten better in recent years to not be as drastic of a shift but you still play your role differently when in group based content then you do solo or while leveling. It has been that way in the past as well so it isn't just a new thing for WoW.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Raiding in WoW requires you to use actual rotations while solo play does not. It has gotten better in recent years to not be as drastic of a shift but you still play your role differently when in group based content then you do solo or while leveling. It has been that way in the past as well so it isn't just a new thing for WoW.
    How does the game require this? What disallows a player from doing otherwise?

Or is your meaning that the raiding rewards skilled play more so than unskilled play. Such as in other games in the genre.

15+ Year Old Account
    How does the game require this? What disallows a player from doing otherwise?
    Performance? Lol. If you don't do your rotations and use end game abilities properly you won't be clearing any content unless you get carried. Your argument is saying that because you can be in a group, and use no abilities, the game play doesn't change because you can always do nothing. Lol.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Performance? Lol. If you don't do your rotations and use end game abilities properly you won't be clearing any content unless you get carried. Your argument is saying that because you can be in a group, and use no abilities, the game play doesn't change because you can always do nothing. Lol.
    That would be correct if so.

A player doesn't have to succeed for gameplay or a gameplay mode to exist. That is totally inconsequential to gameplay.

Your argument is saying, "If you want to win you have to play well. Therefore the gameplay changed." and that is not rational to the design if the game does not require it to play. Gameplay is how the game operates. Not how you must play the game to succeed. Surely, many fail in all manner of games without an express gameplay change.

If I want to do well in Dark Souls I have to learn all types of things about the game as I play. But the gameplay has not changed from beating one boss to the next. I am playing by the same set of rules, learning their tactics, and so on to beat the next encounter and so on & so on.

Dark Souls doesn't have a bunch of QTEs out of nowhere to beat the Rat King. That would be a gameplay change.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-11-01 at 01:08 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your argument is saying, "If you want to win you have to play well. Therefore the gameplay changed." and that is not rational to the design if the game does not require it to play
    You can't get rewarded from the end game content with out changing how you play between leveling and end game. Because rotations change, stat priorities change, and even some abilities change with tier sets and gear. The game play changes period. Even the mechanics of the encounters change from leveling play.

If you must play the game different to succeed then by default the game play requires a change. You can't have it both ways lol.

These are gameplay modes. Not changes to the gameplay.
    That seems splitting hairs to me. The game modes bring with them general gameplay changes because those modes are what you engage in at the endgame. You don't need teamwork, good parses, optimized characters, and frequent use of utility abilities when leveling in WoW, by design as it's meant to be easy. You definitely do need to do those things, at least to some degree, when engaging in endgame content. Those new priorities definitely change your gameplay by conceivable metric.

Much like, say, the endgame in Hollow Knight is the boss rush DLC, rather than the Metroidvania experience it is beforehand. The exploration phase is over, and gameplay shifts alongside it.

Your Doom example isn't a very convincing one either, as someone quite familiar with both games. Eternal has more platforming than 2016 for sure, but not magnitudes more. Only a couple levels, chiefly Mars Core and Urdak, have more than 2 rooms of platforming alongside a good dozen of mass demon slaughter. The DLCs have heavily emphasized that as well, of 6 DLC levels only one (World Spear) has anywhere near enough platforming that it could be considered a game mechanic rather than just the minor pacing obstacle it is in nearly all 3D games. You make it sound like it's the same as Mario now or something.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

You can't get rewarded from the end game content with out changing how you play between leveling and end game.
    The reward doesn't matter to gameplay. Gameplay can be the same whether you succeed or fail. Gameplay can exist without and without a fail state as well.

I have no doubt what you are is true in terms of needing more skill to be rewarded at the high end of World of Warcraft. That seems reasonable. I haven't played that iteration of WOW personally so if there is a caveat where poor play is rewarded I am unaware of just let me know.

The player I was speaking to earlier said in modern MMOs you can expect the gameplay to be different at the endgame. I specifically asked the player what MMOs have different gameplay as opposed to different modes of gameplay at endgame.

If that player strictly meant, "different content modes" or "requiring more skill of the player", that is a perfectly fine answer. I understand their meaning in the context of that post. This is where I asked did he want as a player a different type of experience at the endgame- it could very well be he wanted something less conventional or more so.

That is a different ball of wax from saying "you need more skill to make it past level 2" than from level 2 goes from platforming to side-scrolling shooter- such as Alex Kidd. That is different gameplay. Specifically, that type of difference is what I was talking about earlier. If that user meant otherwise, such as requiring more skill or a skateboarding mode, that is why I asked more questions to understand their POV.

Because rotations change, stat priorities change, and even some abilities change with tier sets and gear. The game play changes period. Even the mechanics of the encounters change from leveling play.
    Tell me more about this. How do you interface with these changes? What does the gameplay express differently and how?

If you must play the game different to succeed then by default the game play requires a change. You can't have it both ways lol.
    Success not relevant. You can run into every pit in Mario Bros and never touch the jump button. You will fail to pass the levels perhaps. The gameplay is still present regardless of making it to the end.

Skill, success, failure, reward, challenge, etc there have no bearing on the existence of gameplay. If it was otherwise, you would never fail where fail-states are present- which obviously people do, for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    That seems splitting hairs to me. The game modes bring with them general gameplay changes because those modes are what you engage in at the endgame.
    Not always. I can't think many off the top of my head where the modes are also different gameplay than outside the mode.

I recall way back I played some MMO where one of the endgame activities was a flying/piloting mode of sorts. You flew from point to point in the clouds building defenses. It was like a tower defense game with flying/ferrying- I can't recall the name of it honestly. But nothing in the game was like that at all. The bulk of the game was basically played like WoW, SWTOR, or Rift. Their endgame was this whole different mode of play with different controls and everything.

I would say that type of change is unusual within the genre. And that would be a change in gameplay via gameplay mode.

You definitely do need to do those things, at least to some degree, when engaging in endgame content. Those new priorities definitely change your gameplay by conceivable metric.
    I understand this as requiring more skill and knowledge. Not a change in the gameplay unless the game disallows play otherwise.

As I said, sure there are people playing that game that fail. Surely, someone is able to play less skillfully than the next guy and still engage with the gameplay- unless there is a line code that detects suboptimal play and the game no longer functions.

Your Doom example isn't a very convincing one either, as someone quite familiar with both games. Eternal has more platforming than 2016 for sure, but not magnitudes more.
    The degree to which doesn't really matter and was not my argument either. I said it emphasized it more, and you just said it was so. Even if it was one level more than 2016, that is still a gameplay change between the two. And that was the only point I was making between two gameplay expressions.

15+ Year Old Account
    Tell me more about this. How do you interface with these changes? What does the gameplay express differently and how?
    You can't get rewarded from the end game content with out changing how you play between leveling and end game. Because rotations change, stat priorities change, and even some abilities change with tier sets and gear. The game play changes period. Even the mechanics of the encounters change from leveling play.
    I'll just post the quote, and my post, again. It tells you how the game changes but for whatever reason you are refusing to actually read it. It has been that way since Vanilla. Some of those more and some of those less over the years. If you won't accept what I've posted here then I see no reason to get into theory crafting level of discussions and this isn't a WoW topic. You've admitted you don't know much about how WoW game play changes at end game but still insist you are right.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2021-11-01 at 02:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    One more jump is a "change in gameplay" but all the things that other people have talked about don't count.

This is silly.
    Not sure where you are getting that at all. Eternal has a different emphasis on its gameplay than the 2016 game. It's not a different mode of the game apart from the rest of the game.

I'll just post the quote, and my post, again. It tells you how the game changes but for whatever reason you are refusing to actually read it. It has been that way since Vanilla. Some of those more and some of those less over the years since. If you won't accept what I've posted here then I see no reason to get into theory crafting level of discussions and this isn't a WoW topic. You've admitted you don't know much about how WoW game play changes at end game but still insist you are right.
    Your self quoting does not explain what I asked out of curiosity but okay. I pulled out that to quote separately for a reason. I won't ask you further questions about the gameplay if you are hostile.

There is no insistence on being "right"- that's your own interpretation. I was asked about the how behind gameplay changes; did the UI change, do you have succession or ascension variance (to borrow BDO terminology), etc. You just said, "you have to play better and that means it cahnges" and I do not agree with that notion- for any game. That is wrong. It's contradictory to how games are made.

When I played WOW, the Sunwell raid was the new thing. As I recall it required more skill to succeed but I played in the same manner as from level 1. I don't know what changed, they added a lot to the game, I saw some werewolf transformations and mech-like suits in a video a while ago. That would be stuff I don't know about and was curious about potentially. Admittedly, I don't know if what I saw in the video is relevant or not.

I'll take you at your word the endgame is more difficult than at level 1, however. If the gameplay actually changes at the endgame in WOW; then great. That would still make it unusual among MMOs as the majority I have played do not change their gameplay at the endgame.

The reward doesn't matter to gameplay. Gameplay can be the same whether you succeed or fail. Gameplay can exist without and without a fail state as well.

I have no doubt what you are is true in terms of needing more skill to be rewarded at the high end of World of Warcraft. That seems reasonable. I haven't played that iteration of WOW personally so if there is a caveat where poor play is rewarded I am unaware of just let me know.

The player I was speaking to earlier said in modern MMOs you can expect the gameplay to be different at the endgame. I specifically asked the player what MMOs have different gameplay as opposed to different modes of gameplay at endgame.

If that player strictly meant, "different content modes" or "requiring more skill of the player", that is a perfectly fine answer. I understand their meaning in the context of that post. This is where I asked did he want as a player a different type of experience at the endgame- it could very well be he wanted something less conventional or more so.

That is a different ball of wax from saying "you need more skill to make it past level 2" than from level 2 goes from platforming to side-scrolling shooter- such as Alex Kidd. That is different gameplay. Specifically, that type of difference is what I was talking about earlier. If that user meant otherwise, such as requiring more skill or a skateboarding mode, that is why I asked more questions to understand their POV.

Success not relevant. You can run into every pit in Mario Bros and never touch the jump button. You will fail to pass the levels perhaps. The gameplay is still present regardless of making it to the end.

Skill, success, failure, reward, challenge, etc there have no bearing on the existence of gameplay. If it was otherwise, you would never fail where fail-states are present- which obviously people do, for example.

- - - Updated - - -

Not always. I can't think many off the top of my head where the modes are also different gameplay than outside the mode.

I recall way back I played some MMO where one of the endgame activities was a flying/piloting mode of sorts. You flew from point to point in the clouds building defenses. It was like a tower defense game with flying/ferrying- I can't recall the name of it honestly. But nothing in the game was like that at all. The bulk of the game was basically played like WoW, SWTOR, or Rift. Their endgame was this whole different mode of play with different controls and everything.

I would say that type of change is unusual within the genre. And that would be a change in gameplay via gameplay mode.

I understand this as requiring more skill and knowledge. Not a change in the gameplay unless the game disallows play otherwise.

As I said, sure there are people playing that game that fail. Surely, someone is able to play less skillfully than the next guy and still engage with the gameplay- unless there is a line code that detects suboptimal play and the game no longer functions.

The degree to which doesn't really matter and was not my argument either. I said it emphasized it more, and you just said it was so. Even if it was one level more than 2016, that is still a gameplay change between the two. And that was the only point I was making between two gameplay expressions.
    Again, that still seems splitting hairs. No, the WoW app doesn't literally shut down if you try to enter a raid without DBM, half your abilities not even on your bars, with communications, no organization or thought to raid composition at all and in green quest gear. But the content is not designed to be beatable in such a state. It's very much a requirement and forces the player to approach the game differently. It might not be as much of a change as if WoW raids suddenly became racing challenges for who knows what reason, but it's still a dramatic change. Hell just questing being entirely soloable while endgame activities aren't by itself is a massive change.

The degree is pretty darn important, else we have to start calling every game with a jump button a platformer, every game with a puzzle a puzzle game or every game featuring guns as a shooter and terms don't mean anything anymore. The core gameplay of 2016 and Eternal is the combat. Movement abilities are a vital skill to said combat, but the platforming is still very much a side dish at most. The recently released Horde Mode in Eternal emphasizes that even further, there's one platforming section as a bonus level but everything else is a combat challenge because that's the meat and potatoes of the game, and the Master Levels designed to up the challenge sometimes outright replace platforming or leisure pacing sections with even more combat encounters.

Of course the Doom series is also very focused on what it does and does very well -demon genocide- while MMOs are generally far less focused on one style of gameplay and far more on providing a broad range of possible activities. Even MMO-lites like Destiny offer a variety of ways to play the game at max level for a variety of rewards. If New World doesn't do that, interest will quickly wane for a large portion of players. People like endgame in their MMO. It doesn't have to be copy-pasted on WoW raids and dungeons (FFIV proves that well enough) but there needs to be something, lest the game suffers the fate as SWTOR; good leveling, no endgame causing people to leave in droves.

Now I'll finally temper my statement by saying that since New World is buy to play, rather than sub-based, the devs probably don't expect people to play it as religiously as other MMOs and thus design around said expectation. But I'll still maintain that if your endgame is a couple PvP modes and like 2-3 dungeons, that's well below par for even launch versions of the genre.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

15+ Year Old Account
    Your self quoting does not explain what I asked out of curiosity but okay. I pulled out that to quote separately for a reason. I won't ask you further questions about the gameplay if you are hostile.
    I am not hostile. You are just refusing to read what is posted. You asked how game play is expressed differently and how. It is from stat priority changes. Rotation changes. Those two things alone change game play. Then you add on abilities that function different the close you get to end game, tier sets, trinkets, and in more recent times the various Alternate Advancement type of systems that add abilities and other stuff during end game. Mechanics for raids are different then world mechanics though Blizzard has got better at previewing those things in the world or on trash.

The game play differently. Yet you dismiss anything that doesn't fit your viewpoint. I'm not hostile. I'm just not putting up with your BS.

Because you're all, "No, other game modes aren't a change in gameplay. Differences in complexity of rotations isn't a change in gameplay. Going from questing to raiding isn't a change in gameplay. It's all still just hitting buttons! ....but this one game has one more jumping level than another game, and that makes it a totally different thing!"
    Yea, you can't play Eternal otherwise. It's not a matter of successful play. Like you could not get past that level and play the game.

Can you play WOW and not do it well? There must be millions, potentially, not playing well who can still play WOW. They might not be successful and they might not ever play the game mode that is more demanding. But they are not disallowed from playing on.

You can't play on if you don't do the platforming in Eternal.

That's why I am saying what is being described are gameplay modes. Various gameplay modes at the endgame are common in the genre (Outpost Rush, Raiding, etc). Gameplay changes are uncommon in the genre (side-scrolling shooter, tower defense flight thingy, etc).

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder when we will see the first content update to the game? It is repetitive and buggy, but the loop and game itself has a lot of potential. I've not had a lot of time to play it. I just got 40. Only done the sidequests in 3 or 4 zones. I earned a majority of my levels from professions and town boards near profession farming spots. 130 hours in.

I see myself getting to 60, and playing a few weeks to enjoy whatever the hell Outpost Rush is, and grinding a semi-decent end game set of gear, but after that I'll probably stop playing until there is some substantial end game content added. Totally worth the 40 dollars. Not currently worth a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Again, that still seems splitting hairs.
    I do not agree. I think it is important when talking about the design of the games. Let's swing this back to New World for a second.

The gameplay in NW is largely the same at l60 as l25-ish. To be fair, there are passive skills and perks that alter this or that as you progress in NW. I think we can say this is typical in the genre and one would be able to see these progression variations throughout the process- opening inventory, skill tree, etc. So you can see how this will be laid out for the most part as you level up essentially.

How the gameplay operates does not change very much while progressing from l25 to l60 aside from those passives, perks, etc- which we already know about/can see in the game. Gather stuff, perform tasks for the town, kill monsters with a limited set of abilities, etc. That is how NW expresses itself.

Now if you said to me; "I expected the gameplay would be different at the end of level 60." I think it is insightful for the user to specify why they expected that given how NW expresses its gameplay.

I do not think NW indicates to the player the gameplay will be all that different at the endgame. Further, I think it important to split the hair of; "I thought the gameplay will be different" and "I thought the gameplay modes would be worthwhile". Two different users had these different notions, IIRC.

One of these can be a failure of the game design (poor communication to the player) the other can be an expectation that is not in line with the gameplay expression. Which might NOT be a problem with game design at all.

So I think it is important to specify is a failure of New World's ability to communicate to the player its gameplay & gameplay modes or if is an expectation of the player apart from what is expressed?

That user a few pages ago said they played on to level 60 and did not enjoy the game. Unless they had some way to dramatically cut the time of leveling, they had to invest a lot of hours to get that point in something they expressly are not enjoying. My question was why? What compelled him so; and what was the nature of his expectations?

No, the WoW app doesn't literally shut down if you try to enter a raid without DBM, half your abilities not even on your bars, with communications, no organization or thought to raid composition at all and in green quest gear. But the content is not designed to be beatable in such a state. It's very much a requirement and forces the player to approach the game differently. It might not be as much of a change as if WoW raids suddenly became racing challenges for who knows what reason, but it's still a dramatic change. Hell just questing being entirely soloable while endgame activities aren't by itself is a massive change.
    Okay, noted. Presumably, users still have access to all the aspects of play that make endgame raid or dungeon successful, am I correct?

I raided in plenty of games (even WOW in the past) and rarely had things I could only use/gain in the raid. I was still a tank on Tatooine, Freeport, or on Ember Isle. How I played and performed in the various gameplay modes did indeed change as you describe above. At least if I wanted success, also as you describe above.

These are typical aspects of the genre. In all of the aforementioned games, these modes are communicated to the player. Players do dungeons, raids (at least when I played), PVP, et cetera throughout the gameplay experience of progressing their character to the endgame. The gameplay expresses these modes throughout the process of progression usually.

I would say the gameplay modes may require more expertise but that the gameplay has not changed typically. This is the same as New World, which is common within the genre. It would be uncommon for games in the genre to require gameplay that is not presented elsewhere only at the endgame.

Requiring more expertise does not mean the gameplay has changed. It can in some games, definitely. If that is so in WOW specifically, okay cool. It is not the case in the genre typically and certainly not in New World. The gameplay in NW is pretty obviously the same for the vast majority of the game.

The core gameplay of 2016 and Eternal is the combat. Movement abilities are a vital skill to said combat, but the platforming is still very much a side dish at most. The recently released Horde Mode in Eternal emphasizes that even further, there's one platforming section as a bonus level but everything else is a combat challenge because that's the meat and potatoes of the game, and the Master Levels designed to up the challenge sometimes outright replace platforming or leisure pacing sections with even more combat encounters.
    Right, and these are gameplay modes. Eternal itself is inclusive of a required and emphasized platforming, not in the 2016 game.

Of course the Doom series is also very focused on what it does and does very well -demon genocide- while MMOs are generally far less focused on one style of gameplay and far more on providing a broad range of possible activities. Even MMO-lites like Destiny offer a variety of ways to play the game at max level for a variety of rewards.
    Indeed. I don't think NW does offer that variety or communicates the "narrowness" of the endgame quite as well as other games.

I think what really is at stake is an expectation for the user to want a "robust" or "broad" as you put it, range of activities in online games.

If New World doesn't do that, interest will quickly wane for a large portion of players. People like endgame in their MMO. It doesn't have to be copy-pasted on WoW raids and dungeons (FFIV proves that well enough) but there needs to be something, lest the game suffers the fate as SWTOR; good leveling, no endgame causing people to leave in droves.
    Time will tell.

Now I'll finally temper my statement by saying that since New World is buy to play, rather than sub-based, the devs probably don't expect people to play it as religiously as other MMOs and thus design around said expectation. But I'll still maintain that if your endgame is a couple PvP modes and like 2-3 dungeons, that's well below par for even launch versions of the genre.
    Well, I can't argue with that really. As above, just wait as see.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-11-01 at 03:51 AM.

Yeah, for some reason people use the word "sandbox" as some kind of excuse for a game not having any content.

At that point, it's just a box that the developers didn't bother putting the sand into.
    It's exactly that. I find it mind-boggling how people call this game sandbox or sandpark just because you can level up without doing quests. You can do the same in GW2 and WoW, too. There's even a famous player who solely levels up with that method and there are always news when he reaches a new milestone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    You are the one claiming they stated GS 600 drops were possible in the open world and they dont state that specifically in the post, you still need to farm in NW because you need recipes and resources to craft those items, you have access to a few legenderies from crafting and thats it, if you dont farm you wont have any money to make the items or have any resources, watermarking is just an additional thing to help players get gear slowly overtime. You simply cant really ignore the content in the game if you want to craft GS 600 items.
    That's right. And the content in the game (you need to do for crafting) is excessive grinding of the same elite areas over and over and over and over and over again. Which was a criticism I voiced in another post. To be a successful crafter you have to actively engage in the infinite grinding that PvE players have to go through to watermark their gear.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-11-01 at 08:41 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I wonder when we will see the first content update to the game? It is repetitive and buggy, but the loop and game itself has a lot of potential. I've not had a lot of time to play it. I just got 40. Only done the sidequests in 3 or 4 zones. I earned a majority of my levels from professions and town boards near profession farming spots. 130 hours in.

I see myself getting to 60, and playing a few weeks to enjoy whatever the hell Outpost Rush is, and grinding a semi-decent end game set of gear, but after that I'll probably stop playing until there is some substantial end game content added. Totally worth the 40 dollars. Not currently worth a sub.
    Given the current bugfest, I'd say never.

Which modern MMOs have different gameplay at endgame?

Content options and modes of play I am aware of. What games in the genre currently have different gameplay at the maximum level? I am not talking about content modes with the same gameplay expression, I am talking about gameplay specifically. The operation and rules of interfacing with the game.

I wouldn't use the word should, that is a problem. It is commonly so in limited linear game design.

Ubiquity is not necessarily a requirement. There is no game design police to arrest a game designer. The market decides if it likes the choices an artist/designer makes or not.

I wouldn't say it is a strict sandbox either. But NW is more in line with the concept of a sandpark. A theme park is where you ride the same static rides again and again- when applied to a game, there is usually an incentive to ride particular contraptions at an increasingly diminished experience of riding the other ones.

If the gameplay expression is consistent from level 1 through 60 in NW; where did strict expression of gameplay kick in to make it a theme park?

I don't think there is much at level 60 that is barred from players at lower level aside from Outpost Rush and one other PVP mode. What are all the rides exclusive to level 60?

Where does this differ from other games in the genre? I am neither for or against it, per se. But do you mean to say you desired a break from conventional practice in the genre?

Certainly. What games in the market are serving atypical time investment at the maximum content level within the genre?

Well, people like different aspects and in varying amounts. Impossible to answer for everyone, only for one's self.

Elder Scrolls Online. Guild Wars 2. World of Warcraft. Black Desert. Basically every major MMORPG.

They do not just offer new content modes, they add additional layers to your character progress. In ESO it's the Champion System, in Guild Wars 2 it's Elite Specs, in World of Warcraft it's the most recent borrowed power system, in Black Desert it's Awakening. All of these things are a new layer of character progression and, depending on the system, completely change your gameplay.

On top of that, all of these games offer a variety of content modes to the additions they do to gameplay. New World has nothing of the sort. There's no progression to be made (it stops way sooner than 60 though) and the content is incredibly limited. As I said, it's grinding 24/7. And the worst: it's grinding the same spots over and over again. It's just horrible game design that's typical for F2P Asian grinder games - and that's where watermarking comes from.

Every modern MMORPG changes the gameplay loop or adds something to it when you reach max level. Not in New World. Everything is exactly the same as before. Sure, you get two new game modes which are fun, but they're mostly tied to PvP (which is self-made content overall) or the infamous invasions that as of now can't be completed by 99.9% of the playerbase because they're tuned so badly. So for PvE players, what is left? As I said, infinite grinding of the same spots. That's not content.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post

The house is burning. They cannot fix issues and bugs and exploits. I think they're aware of that. Releasing new content would just fuel the fire even more. PvP is completely infested with bug- and exploit-users. Until they have removed these massive issues, I don't see much reason to add more broken stuff to the game that needs fixing.

On the other hand we already know what's about to come: a new desert-like zone named Brimstone Sands and a new weapon, Void Gauntlet. That's the most recent stuff, although Brimstone Sands was fairly rough during beta and needed a lot of additional work.

There were datamines of six new dungeons, but we have no idea if they are just names or if development has started yet. I wouldn't expect too much here. In regards of new content: Brimstone Sands is just another zone with the same incentives. They won't add anything unexpected or new to the gameplay loop that exists right now. You can't even form groups bigger than 5 people as of now.

We all (at least I assume that) know that a game rises or falls with its endgame content. And for New World, unfortunately, it doesn't look to good right now when it comes to endgame content.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-11-01 at 08:54 AM.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

People always complain about wow having no endgame, but after grinding for 1 day just running pvp missions with never meeting an opponent and buying 580 weapons for 50g , I now am almost BiS geared with no effort at all for pvp…… which actually doesnt mean much because people abuse bugs in pvp anyway