15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So you want a different game.
    Not really. Just better controls for territory owners. One of the factions does a poll in chat for faction on one of two options.

It doesn't matter if there is one mayor/king. It just needs better support to manage in my opinion.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Not really. Just better controls for territory owners. One of the factions does a poll in chat for faction on one of two options.

It doesn't matter if there is one mayor/king. It just needs better support to manage in my opinion.
    Then companies cease to have as much relevance as you're functionally just a large single faction. And "democracy" in games like this usually doesn't work given how easy it is to game these systems and how we've seen similar systems in games before (again referencing Tera) get gamed hard by the community so they never really work as designed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sooo I've been looking into this.... but is this all it is?

Gw2 (weapons = spec type) ARPG + survival elements? (Or is it just a bunch of resources? ) and finally basically 0 fantasy elements? (Less magic, and only humans?)

Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    please tell me I will meet something different in this game except pirate undead, undead undead and red undead
    You won't. There are maybe 10 models for enemies. It doesn't change from 1-60 at all.

You've got:

- Wildlife
    - Zombies
    - Ancients
    - Ghosts

That's it. The same copy & paste stuff like everything else in this game.

One thing that bothers me more right now is the abysmal server performance. It's gotten so much worse in the last days.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    Sooo I've been looking into this.... but is this all it is?

Gw2 (weapons = spec type) ARPG + survival elements? (Or is it just a bunch of resources? ) and finally basically 0 fantasy elements? (Less magic, and only humans?)

Is this correct?
    Yes it is. Launch version of Guild Wars 2 9 years ago did everything better than New World 2021. If you like Guild Wars 2, don't try this game as it's still work in progress (aka beta).
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    You won't. There are maybe 10 models for enemies. It doesn't change from 1-60 at all.

You've got:

- Wildlife
    - Zombies
    - Ancients
    - Ghosts

That's it. The same copy & paste stuff like everything else in this game.

One thing that bothers me more right now is the abysmal server performance. It's gotten so much worse in the last days.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes it is. Launch version of Guild Wars 2 9 years ago did everything better than New World 2021. If you like Guild Wars 2, don't try this game as it's still work in progress (aka beta).
    Kk. Sounds pretty garbage imo then. As much as i like the graphics and the gathering what seems to be in the game... the lack of variety is abysmal.

Even the monsters u just said... my lord. I do not mind the wildlife... but reskinned undead over and over....

Kk. Sounds pretty garbage imo then. As much as i like the graphics and the gathering what seems to be in the game... the lack of variety is abysmal.

Even the monsters u just said... my lord. I do not mind the wildlife... but reskinned undead over and over....
    The best part about the game is a) the artstyle / visual design of the world and b) crafting / gathering. If that's enough for you, you can try. But PvE and PvP in this game are utter garbage. All of the zones that exist are copy paste. And no, that doesn't mean they are similar, they're completely identical. All of the content in this game has been copy pasted from level 1 to level 60.

Oh, they're not reskinned. They look exactly the same, from level 1 to level 60. And then you have dungeon bosses which are basically the exact same model as the normal enemies but twice as big.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best part about the game is a) the artstyle / visual design of the world and b) crafting / gathering. If that's enough for you, you can try. But PvE and PvP in this game are utter garbage. All of the zones that exist are copy paste. And no, that doesn't mean they are similar, they're completely identical. All of the content in this game has been copy pasted from level 1 to level 60.

Oh, they're not reskinned. They look exactly the same, from level 1 to level 60. And then you have dungeon bosses which are basically the exact same model as the normal enemies but twice as big.
    I'm confused... why are people claiming this is a great game then? Like all I hear about is praise for it.

I'd understand placeholders... but apparently this is launch? As much as vanilla wows molten core didnt have loot at launch, the beta of wow had so much more to it than copy pasted zones and creatures.

Like seriously wtf? Am I missing something or are people just desperate for something new?

I'm confused... why are people claiming this is a great game then? Like all I hear about is praise for it.

I'd understand placeholders... but apparently this is launch? As much as vanilla wows molten core didnt have loot at launch, the beta of wow had so much more to it than copy pasted zones and creatures.

Like seriously wtf? Am I missing something or are people just desperate for something new?
    its just an echo chamber hoping to keep it alive. its twitch viewership is going down dramatically each day, give it 3 weeks and the love train will go full hate train. the youtubers will jump on boad saying the game sucks, and then a month later, it will be dead.

Because they're still in the honeymoon phase, desperate for a new MMORPG or blatantly lying. As I said, the only really great and outstanding parts of the game are its visual qualities and the crafting/gathering. Everybody who says the PvE is great is simply lying.

They had to release this game in this pitiful state. It was delayed five times in the last 2 years. There was just no chance for yet another delay. You can't compare Vanilla WoW or any other AAA MMORPG from the last 10-15 years to New World. Everything in Vanilla was handcrafted. There are no 100% copy & paste quests and zones. In New World, the entire PvE content is - as I said - 100% copy pasted. Every farm, every quarry, every ruin, every cave, every hamlet has one layout that's been copy pasted in every zone. Then add the dozen of different mob times this game has and you must come to the conclusion that this game wasn't created by real developers. Instead it feels like a procedural generated MMORPG that was created by an AI.

I'm playing at the moment because I love the visuals and the crafting/gathering, but the PvE in this game is so incredibly bad that it will push me away soon. From clunky combat to bugs to horrible animations to the copy paste content to lags... it's just bad.

Because it's a solid game at launch. Not perfect, not with a decade+ of refinements and additions, but just solid. A good base product and a good foundation to build from. I play a lot of GW2 an while it shares some DNA it's still a different game overall.

Zones in the same level range have very similar overall designs, but each has their own take on it. Yeah, not a ton of different types of enemies at low levels, but there's enough variety that I'm not minding seeing some of the same enemies inhabit multiple locations - which makes a lot of sense anyways.

Am I missing something or are people just desperate for something new?
    No, just that different people have different opinions. IMO it's a solid game so far and well worth checking out. Others disagree. Different stroke for different folk.

- - - Updated - - -

Because they're still in the honeymoon phase, desperate for a new MMORPG or blatantly lying.
    Let's not ascribe ill intent to others where none likely exists. Is it benefitting from some of the "honeymoon phase"? Sure, probably. But that alone is noteworthy since it's generally not existed for a lot of MMO's launched in recent years, which instantly went to a pretty negative reaction to folks.

Believe it or not, some of us are enjoying the game as-is.

Quote Originally Posted by The Oblivion View Post
    its just an echo chamber hoping to keep it alive. its twitch viewership is going down dramatically each day, give it 3 weeks and the love train will go full hate train. the youtubers will jump on boad saying the game sucks, and then a month later, it will be dead.
    Most streamers were paid to play this game. I don't know if they are allowed to say anything negative (yet). The New World subreddit is an echo chamber as well. But people will quickly realize what kind of game this really is and they will turn against it.

- - - Updated - - -

Let's not ascribe ill intent to others where none likely exists. Is it benefitting from some of the "honeymoon phase"? Sure, probably. But that alone is noteworthy since it's generally not existed for a lot of MMO's launched in recent years, which instantly went to a pretty negative reaction to folks.

Believe it or not, some of us are enjoying the game as-is.
    Every MMORPG has a honeymoon phase and New World is one week old. I never said that people don't enjoy the game. I said they're lying when they say that the game (especially the PvE content) is great.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's a solid game at launch. Not perfect, not with a decade+ of refinements and additions, but just solid. A good base product and a good foundation to build from. I play a lot of GW2 an while it shares some DNA it's still a different game overall.
    You basically cannot compare launch GW2 to New World. GW2 was polished and the developers had a clear vision and knew what they're doing. This cannot be said about New World in any way.

Most streamers were paid to play this game. I don't know if they are allowed to say anything negative (yet).
    I'm not seeing much in terms of sponsored streams anymore, so anyone still playing is playing because they enjoy the game or are getting more views playing NW vs. other games.

But people will quickly realize what kind of game this really is and they will turn against it.
    Or, we're happy with what it is now. That's like, absolutely possible and realistic that we're simply happy with the game and not fawning over every minor detail or claiming it's the second coming of christ that also cures hemorrhoids.

Zones in the same level range have very similar overall designs, but each has their own take on it. Yeah, not a ton of different types of enemies at low levels, but there's enough variety that I'm not minding seeing some of the same enemies inhabit multiple locations - which makes a lot of sense anyways.
    Zones look different, the content is 100% identical in each zone. That's why I said the game looks great while the content itself is the worst I've seen in any AAA MMORPG.

Or, we're happy with what it is now. That's like, absolutely possible and realistic that we're simply happy with the game and not fawning over every minor detail or claiming it's the second coming of christ that also cures hemorrhoids.
    Honeymoon phase. Give it 2-3 weeks and let's talk again.

You basically cannot compare launch GW2 to New World. GW2 was polished and the developers had a clear vision and knew what they're doing. This cannot be said about New World in any way.
    GW2 was good at launch too, I'm not saying it wasn't. I think NW is also good at launch, for different reasons. Which is actually great right now since GW2 is in the pre-expansion draught after what has been a disappointing past few years with the game, so it's nice having another solid alternative while I wait on EoD (which I'm decreasingly excited about, sadly).

- - - Updated - - -

Honeymoon phase. Give it 2-3 weeks and let's talk again.
    Ok, I guess I should just give you a ring when I want to know what my opinion on something is. Do you have normal business hours or can I contact you at any time so you can tell me what my opinion of something is?

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Well, that's not totally fair. Cave layouts were commonly reused in Vanilla, as were many structures, and of course a lot of mob models were familiar throughout the leveling process. Quests are quests, and are very often similar in nature.

New World is particularly egregious about it of course, but to claim that 100% of Vanilla was always unique isn't fair.
    Quests are not similar, they're identical. That's a difference. The only difference in New World is the name of the NPC that gives you the quest (and most quests don't come from NPCs at all, they're from town board missions). Everything else is identical.

I know Vanilla had very similar caves etc. But it wasn't a 100% copy and paste job as New World. The difference is, in Vanilla most things made sense where they've been put. You cannot say this about New World's world design.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, I guess I should just give you a ring when I want to know what my opinion on something is. Do you have normal business hours or can I contact you at any time so you can tell me what my opinion of something is?
    You can tag or quote me anytime.

Yes yes because no one can enjoy something you don't.
    We are all here in the hopes that an mmo champ thread will keep a 2 week old game alive.
    Makes perfect sense.
    Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    Yes yes because no one can enjoy something you don't.
    We are all here in the hopes that an mmo champ thread will keep a 2 week old game alive.
    Makes perfect sense.
    Well said!
    Again, it's not about enjoyment. You can enjoy, yes even love the game. Totally fine. But claiming that this game is "great" would just be disingenuous. I'm enjoying the crafting and gathering a lot in this game. I still would never call this game "good" or "great". So if you're enjoying it, glad you do. As I said, I love the gathering aspect of the game as well.
    Last edited by Nyel; 2021-10-05 at 09:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Then companies cease to have as much relevance as you're functionally just a large single faction. And "democracy" in games like this usually doesn't work given how easy it is to game these systems and how we've seen similar systems in games before (again referencing Tera) get gamed hard by the community so they never really work as designed.
    They already don't have that much relevance. There are only 11 claimable territories. Four can't be controlled. So that is at most 11 different companies to be the owner between all 3 factions. Each company can only have 100 members and servers are 2,000 I think. So control of the zones will rely on faction wide effort. There is nothing that will be harmed by allowing easier communication for what should be done for control since 11 people/guilds will be deciding the game for the rest.

Anything will be gamed. There are reports that the wars only have company members invited to stop people from intentionally throwing the battle to the other side. The game heavily restricts who benefits from a limited amount of things and seems to effectively lock out anyone not part of that company from taking part in some of it.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Right o, just bought the game [Deluxe] and currently downloading it -- anyone wanna give me some Beginner tips from personal experience in hindsight on what not to do?