With amazon's track record it seems pretty silly not to wait for release to buy this, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://newworldfans.com/

And there's a site for theorycrafting builds, post guides, and a database etc. already.

I knew that skills were weapon based, but I had no clue they had some of these weapons in here, or that each weapon has two trees. Rapier being different than sword is neato, I dig the "zoner" tree idea for spear, and fire staff/ice gauntlets? Yeah, this is seeming pretty neat.
    Good informative site thanks for sharing!
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    Its more enjoyable than WoWs mindless combat system so its personal choice if you like it or not.
    literally doing the same move over and over is enjoyable? did you play the beta? did you like pvp where everyone used the hatchet with the same move over and over stunning you indefinently? yeah sounds real fun. the combat in new world is like dark souls but with all the good from dark souls taken out. light attack and heavy attack and not able to mix the attacks together....at least in darksouls heavy and light mixed allowing for an entire different combo system. and blah blah hatchet was nerfed yeah. what exactly in the game from the combat do you enjoy? elaborate please? how is wows so mindless compared to this atrocious system? please explain. even ESO with their 6 moves blows new world combat away.
    Last edited by craigw; 2021-05-29 at 12:42 PM.

I really want to like this game, but from what I keep reading is that the ingame store is rather.. insanely balanced. So I'll hold of until full release, enough time to change it

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    literally doing the same move over and over is enjoyable? did you play the beta? did you like pvp where everyone used the hatchet with the same move over and over stunning you indefinently? yeah sounds real fun. the combat in new world is like dark souls but with all the good from dark souls taken out. light attack and heavy attack and not able to mix the attacks together....at least in darksouls heavy and light mixed allowing for an entire different combo system. and blah blah hatchet was nerfed yeah. what exactly in the game from the combat do you enjoy? elaborate please? how is wows so mindless compared to this atrocious system? please explain. even ESO with their 6 moves blows new world combat away.
    New World combat has also changed a little since the preview so most of us dont have a clue what it will be like at the release version, the combat in NW is slower paced and more about controlling how many enemies you want to handle, In ESO you generally only use 2-3 active skills rest are just buffs to the char.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    I really want to like this game, but from what I keep reading is that the ingame store is rather.. insanely balanced. So I'll hold of until full release, enough time to change it
    All we have heard about the store is it will offer cosmetics and some xp boosts to level a little faster, boosts will not be available at launch. Just means later if it takes 24 hours to max level without, with the boost it it might only take you 20 hours or something, but i dont know what boost levels they offer currently.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2021-05-29 at 03:29 PM.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

New World combat has also changed a little since the preview so most of us dont have a clue what it will be like at the release version, the combat in NW is slower paced and more about controlling how many enemies you want to handle, In ESO you generally only use 2-3 active skills rest are just buffs to the char.

All we have heard about the store is it will offer cosmetics and some xp boosts to level a little faster, boosts will not be available at launch. Just means later if it takes 24 hours to max level without, with the boost it it might only take you 20 hours or something, but i dont know what boost levels they offer currently.
    slower paced and more about controlling how many enemies you want to handle......doing the same move over and over and over again.......... so please elaborate on how its better than wows mindless combat system......from what you have played, regardless of what they have changed and we know nothing about. and ESO with their "3" moves is still better than a light and heavy attack. slash. slash, slash, slash, slash, slash, slash. endlessly. whos idea of fun is that? if they fix the combat you seriously have a legit MMO. a heavy contender for the new age mmo. but it literally has the shittiest combat system ive ever seen in an mmo.

Quote Originally Posted by craigw View Post
    slower paced and more about controlling how many enemies you want to handle......doing the same move over and over and over again.......... so please elaborate on how its better than wows mindless combat system......from what you have played, regardless of what they have changed and we know nothing about. and ESO with their "3" moves is still better than a light and heavy attack. slash. slash, slash, slash, slash, slash, slash. endlessly. whos idea of fun is that? if they fix the combat you seriously have a legit MMO. a heavy contender for the new age mmo. but it literally has the shittiest combat system ive ever seen in an mmo.
    you do the same move over and over in WoW, the same moves in TESO so whats your point, NW is a little more skilled based where hitting targets in the right location means more than just hitting anywhere, NW you have access to 6 different skills and a variety of weapon attacks so its not really different to any other in terms of how many abilities you get. NW there is also different builds so you can do different levels of support or just be a dmg class or tank.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by 8bithamster View Post
    I really want to like this game, but from what I keep reading is that the ingame store is rather.. insanely balanced.
    There is little information on the store. It's just mostly speculation on the degree anything will be in the end. How could it be "insane" yet?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is little information on the store. It's just mostly speculation on the degree anything will be in the end. How could it be "insane" yet?
    slower paced and more about controlling how many enemies you want to handle......doing the same move over and over and over again.......... so please elaborate on how its better than wows mindless combat system......from what you have played, regardless of what they have changed and we know nothing about. and ESO with their "3" moves is still better than a light and heavy attack. slash. slash, slash, slash, slash, slash, slash. endlessly. whos idea of fun is that?
    Apprently most people think this is fun. How many games exist where players don't use a handful of moves?

The entire Souls-like subgenre is essential "dodge/block, slash, slash" for the most part. Those games are insanely popular.

The recent Star Wars game, Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, Ghost of Tsushima, Witcher 3, Biomutant, various action-combat MMOs, et cetera- I really can not say I have played those in any way that does not boil down to dodge/block slash, slash. Those were all commercially and critically well-received games.

So it stands to reason more than a few find this fun.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-05-29 at 05:23 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    People just wanna hate cause its amazon and its automatically "evil" cause amazon is "evil".

From what we've seen so far and having played the preview myself, I cant wait for the beta access / release. Even if it doesnt "kill WoW", the graphics, the atmosphere and the world is just so much fun and calming. Its a nice MMO to just play and enjoy. If they improve / polish the end game and keep on adding, its gonna be good enough.

There's always gonna be haters, there's haters for everything, even ice-cream.

Let people enjoy what they enjoy.
    Last edited by Ochinko; 2021-05-29 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ochinko View Post
    From what we've seen so far and having played the preview myself, I cant wait for the beta access / release. Even if it doesnt "kill WoW", the graphics, the atmosphere and the world is just so much fun and calming. Its a nice MMO to just play and enjoy.
    Empahsises parts I totally agree with. I have a lot of gripes with the combat and limited move set in the game, but the game is deeply compelling. The whole vibe of the game is so pleasant to be out in the world gathering, crafting and just running around. It feels distinct in a way many MMOs have not for a long time.

There is an intangible element to the game that has kept me playing despite all my gripes. This says a lot for me because I drop games left and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ochinko View Post
    People just wanna hate cause its amazon and its automatically "evil" cause amazon is "evil".
    No. I couldn't care less about who released the game.

I just played it and left them a lengthy explanation why combat is mind numbingly boring.
    Quests were copypasted, story was boring, world was boring. There was absolutely nothing interesting at that time.

I couldn't imagine someone would make so boring in that many aspects. Could it be fixed? Possibly, but not now, not in any foreseeable future. Requires TONS of work.

Honestly? Minecraft combat was more engaging and fun.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

It was enjoyable in the preview and with the extra time to develop it should be a pretty good game, it probably wont be perfect but as long as its fun thats all that will matter. If you are on the fence probably just better to wait and watch some streams, the combat depends on what weapons you want to use.
    Well that sounds good, i'll do that, thanks!
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

A lot of XP nerfs in this last pass. Can't say I enjoy that really.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    A lot of XP nerfs in this last pass. Can't say I enjoy that really.
    Hm, enabling a shop and saying they will sell XP boosts and now they´re nerfing XP gain, who would have guessed...

Oh yeah right, anyone with a working brain and all the people already saying it would be exactly like that.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    While that does sound like intentional, I remember them saying in an interview that XP nerfs were going to come the closer they get to release since they want you to spend a significant amount of time on the (leveling) journey. So while I agree it looks weird I would hold my horses yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Hm, enabling a shop and saying they will sell XP boosts and now they´re nerfing XP gain, who would have guessed...

Oh yeah right, anyone with a working brain and all the people already saying it would be exactly like that.
    It's more the case they added more xp gain options. But I don't enjoy that content.

I hate having to run around that pirate town for example. The respawn is ridiculous and CC heavy. But they dumped a lot of POIs and collection XP between the pirate town to the SE oil fields. Also over the southern pass near the ruins with invisible tigers- super annoying area.

I mean it could be a non issue for a lot of players. But I enjoyed over leveling and avoiding those areas altogether to go NW pass the mountains along the coast and work the NE mining areas.

I'm about that crafting life. I just want to hunt turkeys with a tomahawk and pick Iron of the earth.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2021-06-04 at 03:05 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVtps2a_oCI

Much of the new alpha changes discussed officially now, so more can be talked about in the game. It really is a vastly different game from the 2020 alpha to the last few months. Its still gonna have many hurdles with being a niche story/universe, the balancing "controversy", the amazon track record, and of course personal tastes in depth/skill-based combat.
    Last edited by Razamith; 2021-06-11 at 04:00 PM.

I'm looking forward to trying this out.

There seems to be a concerted effort by streamers and their followers to trash it and call it pay to win, but I'm mainly finding speculation about the microtransactions, no one seems to have any actual info.

Gonna check out the beta/stress test, but it looks pretty good on paper. Need to figure out how much of the stuff about the cash shop is true and how much is just butthurt from people who don't want competition from another MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    There seems to be a concerted effort by streamers and their followers to trash it and call it pay to win, but I'm mainly finding speculation about the microtransactions, no one seems to have any actual info.

I mean they mentioned that they will have things like profession boosts, leveling boosts / rested XP boosts in the game. It won't be there at launch; more specifically, they said it won't be there this year, so it'll be probably there early next year. Sure, it's speculation. But the way that they keep wording everything makes it pretty clear they want to do it, and even with the massive negative community feedback they didn't back out and say "ok we won't do it", they just said "we won't do it at launch".

Quote Originally Posted by neescher View Post
    I mean they mentioned that they will have things like profession boosts, leveling boosts / rested XP boosts in the game. It won't be there at launch; more specifically, they said it won't be there this year, so it'll be probably there early next year. Sure, it's speculation. But the way that they keep wording everything makes it pretty clear they want to do it, and even with the massive negative community feedback they didn't back out and say "ok we won't do it", they just said "we won't do it at launch".
    They're going to do it, just like almost every MMO on the market has done this in some fashion. Yet people act righteously outraged as if it's some personal affront to them or some shit. It's like a lot of the drama around the Aion classic launch and P2W right now. People are losing the marbles, but it seems like many of them aren't even bloody playing the game yet are still outraged.

P2W has largely always been a bigger issue people complained about than actually exists. Same with lootboxes etc. Everyone loves blanketing the internet with how they'll ruin X or Y game and how the company is just greedy etc., yet when it comes down to it at the end of the day they'll flock to the game or spend insane amounts on the lootboxes. Or be playing CoD:MW2 on launch day on PC despite membership in a group boycotting the game because it didn't have dedicated servers.