Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Healers, how are you finding mythic +5 and beyond?

Not a wine thread, simply a question preceded by my own experience (or rather, 2 hours of wasted time).

So I just had quite a stressful 2 hours and a solid 1000g repair bill in Eye of Azshara, played a 852 resto shaman and the timer was long gone before we even reached the third boss, we never took down the final boss, so no loot, after 20 wipes you have to admit defeat.

As we progressed at a snails pace I got more and more fed up with the actual role I was playing, seeing the bars drop from 100% to 40% in under 2 seconds and just barely keeping people alive if you do manage a boss kill and the frustrating feeling of apathetic dps when they dont use DM's and subsequently a wipe occurs. Now the last part isn't exactly fair is it? But when you are doing everything within your means, employing your entire toolkit and you can't keep the group afloat then where is the fun to be had? Commence the blame game.

Sure this is the entire nature of mythic plus, designed to halt your progress eventually even if you're geared for it, it is a team effort after all and one sub-optimally-performing player can end it right there. But right now my armpits are moist, my head is throbbing and I was evaluating the healer role in this particular form of content.

TL;DR

I'm having quite the bit of fun as a DPS in Mythic plus, who isn't? But when I healed in this content I just felt stress and nothing ever felt satisfying, so my question to you, the full-time healers is: How are you experiencing mythic plus content and how do you experience the amount of pressure that is being put especially on healers in comparison to every other role in the group?

I am aware the experience differs between pug's and guild groups, especially the level of success, but I'm purely asking from an enjoyment standpoint. Also no need to call me out on anything written above, my own feelings by no means represent the healer player-base at large therefore pls refrain from "get geared" "find a good team" "stop sucking" "what is the purpose of this thread?" and so on, cheers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 7empest View Post
    Not a wine thread, simply a question preceded by my own experience (or rather, 2 hours of wasted time).

So I just had quite a stressful 2 hours and a solid 1000g repair bill in Eye of Azshara, played a 852 resto shaman and the timer was long gone before we even reached the third boss, we never took down the final boss, so no loot, after 20 wipes you have to admit defeat.

As we progressed at a snails pace I got more and more fed up with the actual role I was playing, seeing the bars drop from 100% to 40% in under 2 seconds and just barely keeping people alive if you do manage a boss kill and the frustrating feeling of apathetic dps when they dont use DM's and subsequently a wipe occurs. Now the last part isn't exactly fair is it? But when you are doing everything within your means, employing your entire toolkit and you can't keep the group afloat then where is the fun to be had? Commence the blame game.

Sure this is the entire nature of mythic plus, designed to halt your progress eventually even if you're geared for it, it is a team effort after all and one sub-optimally-performing player can end it right there. But right now my armpits are moist, my head is throbbing and I was evaluating the healer role in this particular form of content.

TL;DR

I'm having quite the bit of fun as a DPS in Mythic plus, who isn't? But when I healed in this content I just felt stress and nothing ever felt satisfying, so my question to you, the full-time healers is: How are you experiencing mythic plus content and how do you experience the amount of pressure that is being put especially on healers in comparison to every other role in the group?

I am aware the experience differs between pug's and guild groups, especially the level of success, but I'm purely asking from an enjoyment standpoint. Also no need to call me out on anything written above, my own feelings by no means represent the healer player-base at large therefore pls refrain from "get geared" "find a good team" "stop sucking" "what is the purpose of this thread?" and so on, cheers.
    It's fun. There's not that much pressure on healers, most deaths up until you get to like 7 are people just fucking up horribly i.e. standing in all the fire in the instance. So far i haven't really had issues healing (except for a +8 with a bad tank who didn't want to reset necrotic stacks coupled with some horrible DPS - 2 of them doing as much damage as the tank).

If it's you or the group no one can really say. If every time you do mythic 5+ you find it horrible then it's probably you as most pugs are OK at that level(at least from my experience).

Deleted
    Healing is definitely not fun in this expansion (read it: less fun than in previous expansions). Blizzard should really add dmg modifier for dps, like was suggested in one similar thread - stand in shit, -10% dmg reduction stacking every second or interuptible cast goes through, group wide -5% dmg reduction. etc.

Deleted
    From my perspective mythic+ is the worst healer experience. Frantically spamming heals is never fun and I'm surprised it ended like that with Blizz stating that Legion healing will be more chill and less pop'a'mole with bigger hp pools. Dmg is way too overkill. Resto shammies and rdruids have it easier tho. Healers may be balanced in raids but for mythic+ is all goes through the roof.

So far seems fine as an MW Monk. Farm +5 to +7 without much issue running vengeance/mistweaver/random 3 dps from guild. normally mm hunter / ww monk / fire mage. monk varies with rogue and dk

All depends on your group, If you have people with aoe stuns and they chain CC + interrupt the trash is generally easy. Sometimes a +4 or so can feel way harder than a +9 just because of the people you play with.

Healing in those dungeons will always depend on dmg taken based both on the ability of your tank to negate it via cd's and active mitigation and also your members to know what to doge how to doge it when to stun/desorient/control certain mobs who do 360 aoe ability's like the Scouts in Brh with the knife dance ability.

Not to mention the affexis will contribute a lot of dmg as well.
    So it is all depending on a lot of shit.

To be honest, in a good group, which doesn't necessarily imply guild group, the healers role is probably the easiest of the party, certainly at high levels, 9-12 (haven't done higher, but I can't see that changing).

@ OP I understand your point of view. As I healer myself, I have had a horrible time at Halls of Valor with a +4 key and a 850+ group.
    I think we finished it after about 1.30h and endless wipes.
    Sure the group was not the best in movement or equip, but compared to other +4 dungeons, this was by faaaaar the worst I have ever experienced. It was stressfull, no fun, and at the end I got no loot, so it wasnt even rewarding.

After the dungeon, I told myself I would never go back there again if its more than +2.

7+ Year Old Account
    @7empest, I'm really enjoying mythic+ as a holy paladin, 850 ilvl. Everything up to +6 is really smooth and easy for me - I run the standard build (virtue beacon) and have little to no issues and typically we finish no wipes with 2 chests on most all mythic+. +7 BRH became a bit more evil to me - the 2 affixes aren't particularly difficult - overflowing and sanguine - but overflowing can become terrifying for a holy paladin - especially when people want to chain pull and dont' wait for their shields to drop - my beacon overheal tends to put absorbs on the tank - and one good holy shock crit can leave an absorb even on the tank. If you notice paladins typically run 30-40% overheal mostly due to beacon - so on my druid this isn't as challenging. The healing became much more intensive at 7+ tl/dr

Quote Originally Posted by Zepp View Post
    From my perspective mythic+ is the worst healer experience. Frantically spamming heals is never fun and I'm surprised it ended like that with Blizz stating that Legion healing will be more chill and less pop'a'mole with bigger hp pools. Dmg is way too overkill. Resto shammies and rdruids have it easier tho. Healers may be balanced in raids but for mythic+ is all goes through the roof.
    That's interesting because i find the frantically spamming heals part of the higher keystones fun. I enjoy trying to top stupid dps off that stand in shit and i enjoy pushing keystones that im not geared for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Fine up to +4 but stressful beyond that in pugs.
    The way groups operate places a lot of stress on healers. I've noticed there's a tendency even at +5, +6 or +7 to aim for 2 or 3 chests and consider a +1 outcome to be a failure so you get tanks with itchy feet making their next pull while you're either on low mana, the group isn't topped up or both. DPS at this level usually have a grasp on the basics of the game such as producing decent numbers and avoiding one shot mechanics but use of stuns and interrupts are sporadic and defensive cds or self heals are only used reactively rather than to pre-empt dangerous situations. Most groups don't seem to pay any attention to the keystone modifier or adjust their playstyle for it. If a dps dies on a boss they will expect you to ress them rather than release and run a short distance, they will then expect to pull the next pack at this point rather than let you drink. And of course the lower the dps is the more pressure you're under for output and mana.
    Just a general expectation for the healer to prop up the groups shortcomings and naturally you will be the first point of criticism if you fail to do this.

A very different and more relaxing experience when playing with guildees or better quality players.

healing random pugs on mythics+ is a stress fiesta

this might be the one area where I prefer raids to 5-mans - healing

they find it by doin it with guild - with very very few exaption doin anything besides +2 or +3 is waste of time as 90 % of playerbase have no chance to clear +5 or +6 in time untill they will be 865 from hc EN .

coming from a background of selling a lot of cm carries in mop, and a few in wod, I found it very manageable up to +8 as a resto shaman (and +5 on my drood and priest), it's very fun to identify hard pulls and figure out what you need to be popping when to get through shit and figure out how much you can pull to maximize dps while still stopping enemy heal casts, and tankbusters with cc and interrupts, you get to really maximize all your abilities while constantly thinking ahead about movement and balancing in drinking and such while maximizing your own damage (this of course means that like in high skill level raids, you benefit a LOT as a healer from knowing how your tank's spec works)

that all said though, people that hate dungeon healing and/or are doing this shit w/o voice, are going to hate themselves, and some of the random ass mob stun mechanics remind me of the fucking opening hallway to the first boss of Mogu'shan palace and those assholes in niuzao temple, and basically, blizz needs to do something about those unavoidable stuns as for some healers (see: priests), getting randomly targetted by one is basically a death sentence to the group some times

I am aware the experience differs between pug's and guild groups, especially the level of success, but I'm purely asking from an enjoyment standpoint. Also no need to call me out on anything written above, my own feelings by no means represent the healer player-base at large therefore pls refrain from "get geared" "find a good team" "stop sucking" "what is the purpose of this thread?" and so on, cheers.[/QUOTE]

I personally quite enjoy healing the high mythic plus keys. I have healed a +9 key with a pug group. I really enjoy the challenge. Obviously sometimes you will get a terrible player who stands in everything, takes every cleave etc - and it can be pretty frustrating. But other then that I am, liking it. I really liked the overflowing affix as well which made me contemplate which heal I was using even more.

The issue I have with mythic+ atm as a healer is that there are far too many deaths that are just impossible for the healer to mitigate. Warrior blows CDs on a Skittish pack? Dies in a global. I feel like shit for it.

Damage is just in general way too spikey. I feel like I can't spare a single global to cast anything except healing surge or riptide sometimes. Raid healing is much more methodical and controlled.

Probably impossible to really balance 5 mans though. If damage was lower, no one would ever die and the healer would never OOM. Maybe if healers had way less mp5 in a 5 man could it ever be balanced.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2016-10-06 at 08:25 PM.

Deleted
    resto shaman doing +7s (raging+necrotic), healings a bit more spammy but its nothing really that bad as long as people avoid taking damage, feels spiky as hell on a DH or DK. if the tank is a DH it feels like im healing him for 1mil crits but his hp bar just isnt fuckin moving.

- - - Updated - - -

and I'd like to add that the #1 cause for failed runs are fucktard tanks who don't know how to properly chain pull (ie going full retard).

Deleted
    I´m a Resto Druid and having alot of fun in Mythic+. Its way better than only farming 1x Mythic dungeons peer week aka MoP/WoD.

I don´t think the healing is stressful at all as Resto Druid (im currently 863, doing Mythic+6/7/8 mostly).

My only problem is that I see the same dungeons every day which makes it very boring for me. Imagine a raid which you see every day, for a long time? It´s terrible.

To sum up, yes, healing in Mythic+ dungeons is very much fun to me, but will it be in the future? I´m not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    The issue I have with mythic+ atm as a healer is that there are far too many deaths that are just impossible for the healer to mitigate. Warrior blows CDs on a Skittish pack? Dies in a global. I feel like shit for it.

Damage is just in general way too spikey. I feel like I can't spare a single global to cast anything except healing surge or riptide sometimes. Raid healing is much more methodical and controlled.

Probably impossible to really balance 5 mans though. If damage was lower, no one would ever die and the healer would never OOM. Maybe if healers had way less mp5 in a 5 man could it ever be balanced.
    I have to generally agree with this, M+ is pretty cool and I like the competitiveness of it but it's frustrating and annoying when people die from 100-0 in a GCD and there's nothing I can do about it.