Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Comments on my mage please? My DPS is not as high as it should be for my gear.

Hey,

I have pretty reasonable gear, but I am not pulling the dps I should.

Any advice on what I am missing? Is my artifact leveled improperly? My talents off? My itemization a bit off? Or is that all fine, and am I just screwing up the rotation?

I am Nimuga on Korgath. I can't post an armory link, because I am too new.

Talents are fine (drop cauterise and take shimmer) and gear is actually quite good so obviously your play style and rotations aren't right. Impossible to say what you are doing wrong because you provided no logs.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    conflag > pyro
    shimmer > cauterize
    cinderstorm > kindling

can't tell you anything else without logs

Quote Originally Posted by Choloz View Post
    conflag > pyro
    shimmer > cauterize
    cinderstorm > kindling

can't tell you anything else without logs
    Posting things that aren't necessarily true without knowing what content he is talking about is not very helpful. Pyro and kindling are generally the better choices for single target progression fights, and in mythic+ the burst for big trash packs that you get more often from kindling far outweighs CiS. Not to mention for m+ content you'll want to run living bomb.
    Anyways, @OP, to know for sure you will need to have some logs, but it probably is a rotational issue, whether with your burst phase or with your management of abilities/CDs outside of combustion.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by runique View Post
    Posting things that aren't necessarily true without knowing what content he is talking about is not very helpful. Pyro and kindling are generally the better choices for single target progression fights, and in mythic+ the burst for big trash packs that you get more often from kindling far outweighs CiS. Not to mention for m+ content you'll want to run living bomb.
    Anyways, @OP, to know for sure you will need to have some logs, but it probably is a rotational issue, whether with your burst phase or with your management of abilities/CDs outside of combustion.
    conflag/cinderstorm is better on single target and on multi target it's not even close lol. show me your mythic 10+ and mythic raid parses that prove me wrong. i don't want your altered time sims

edit: sorry, pyro is better on single only if you can execute it properly, which anyone asking for help on their rotation shouldn't be attempting to worry about

Quote Originally Posted by Choloz View Post
    conflag/cinderstorm is better on single target and on multi target it's not even close lol. show me your mythic 10+ and mythic raid parses that prove me wrong. i don't want your altered time sims

edit: sorry, pyro is better on single only if you can execute it properly, which anyone asking for help on their rotation shouldn't be attempting to worry about
    I've already checked the logs of mages in your guild. Idk why you are trying to whip out an ego. If skill is an issue clearly kindling would be better anyways because you won't have to worry about CiS openers and positioning it in the first place. To the OP, run conflagration, living Bomb and kindling in mythic plus. In progress raid, if you aren't playing correctly I would suggest going pyro unstable magic and staying kindling.

Edit: Here are our logs for heroic ursoc: (choloz is jurrbs) his- https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...bCw1V#fight=18
    (I am Crispycast) mine- https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...JdvPHL#fight=9. Despite being only one item level higher, I did 40k more dps.
    Last edited by runique; 2016-10-08 at 06:33 PM.

I've already checked the logs of mages in your guild. Idk why you are trying to whip out an ego. If skill is an issue clearly kindling would be better anyways because you won't have to worry about CiS openers and positioning it in the first place. To the OP, run conflagration, living Bomb and kindling in mythic plus. In progress raid, if you aren't playing correctly I would suggest going pyro unstable magic and staying kindling.

Edit: Here are our logs for heroic ursoc: (choloz is jurrbs) his- https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...bCw1V#fight=18
    (I am Crispycast) mine- https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...JdvPHL#fight=9. Despite being only one item level higher, I did 40k more dps.

How are you managing your sinew trinket cooldown and combustion being out of sync by not taking cinderstorm? Do you just simply delay using combustion on the second cast cause you're waiting for sinew?

You delay sinew for combustion, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by fragga View Post
    How are you managing your sinew trinket cooldown and combustion being out of sync by not taking cinderstorm? Do you just simply delay using combustion on the second cast cause you're waiting for sinew?
    he is delaying the second cast of sinew for his combust @ 3mins.

Quote Originally Posted by cainito View Post
    he is delaying the second cast of sinew for his combust @ 3mins.

But if you take kindling then combustion comes off CD before sinew, so if he wants to use them together to get the highest DMG from the trinket then he has to delay his second combustion.

A combustion cycle will do more damage then the trinket will. Soooo makes 0 sense to delay combustion to line it up with the trinket. If you're running kindling you use it with every other combustion
    Last edited by Brogar; 2016-10-08 at 08:31 PM.

Delay sinew for combustion, use sinew a few casts prior to RoP/combust to ensure it explodes inside of the RoP/combust (you shouldn't have to pre-pop it if used inside of lust I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by Brogar View Post
    A combustion cycle will do more damage then the trinket will. Soooo makes 0 sense to delay combustion to line it up with the trinket. If you're running kindling you use it with every other combustion
    That means in a lot of fights you will only get to use it once as most emerald nightmare encounters don't take 6 'mins, so dps loss and ceases to make the trinket BIS. This is why it's recommended to take cinderstorm so combust and sinew line up and because cinderstorm single target is more dps if you can position correctly to make all 6 cinders hit reliably.

That means in a lot of fights you will only get to use it once as most emerald nightmare encounters don't take 6 'mins, so dps loss and ceases to make the trinket BIS. This is why it's recommended to take cinderstorm so combust and sinew line up and because cinderstorm single target is more dps if you can position correctly to make all 6 cinders hit reliably.
    You're right, the trinket is better with CiS, but I still think for progression it just makes sense to go kindling, especially until you are used to sinew and CiS. Especially for the OP, who is probably struggling with his rotation anyways.

Delay sinew for combustion, use sinew a few casts prior to RoP/combust to ensure it explodes inside of the RoP/combust (you shouldn't have to pre-pop it if used inside of lust I believe).
    Not even close to being true at all, average fight times in emerald nightmare in normal/heroic are about 4 mins so you're only going to see a max of 2 combustions, so it makes sense to make the most of those combustions to get the most damage out of them possible for your gear.

However in mythic the fight times are longer, for these fights it's possible that kindling is better so you get more combustion phases and I'd argue because you can't time sinew with all of them that it's probably not even BIS anymore. Ive actually seen a lot of high end mages in top 10 guilds not even using sinew anymore.

Not even close to being true at all, average fight times in emerald nightmare in normal/heroic are about 4 mins so you're only going to see a max of 2 combustions, so it makes sense to make the most of those combustions to get the most damage out of them possible for your gear.

However in mythic the fight times are longer, for these fights it's possible that kindling is better so you get more combustion phases and I'd argue because you can't time sinew with all of them that it's probably not even BIS anymore. Ive actually seen a lot of high end mages in top 10 guilds not even using sinew anymore.
    The problem with raid trinkets in general is that, depending on fight length, the raid trinkets get outclassed by mythic dungeon trinkets and shock baton, given they are of decent ilvl. But delaying sinew for combust is definitely more favorable than delaying combust for sinew if you are running kindling and are going to get an extra combust. Obviously if you aren't getting an extra combust, this argument is worthless as clearly CiS will outweigh kindling because kindling won't give you any bonus at all to damage.

The problem with raid trinkets in general is that, depending on fight length, the raid trinkets get outclassed by mythic dungeon trinkets and shock baton, given they are of decent ilvl. But delaying sinew for combust is definitely more favorable than delaying combust for sinew if you are running kindling and are going to get an extra combust. Obviously if you aren't getting an extra combust, this argument is worthless as clearly CiS will outweigh kindling because kindling won't give you any bonus at all to damage.

I suppose the variations are huge and depend on guild from guild, if your average kill time is around 5 mins per boss, then kindling is better and one sinew gets used out of sync with other cooldowns. However if your average kill time is 4 mins or lower then cinderstorm is better simply for the fact it lines up better with sinew.

Honestly I'll be happy the day blizz replace sinew with a less pain in the ass BIS trinket.

Can someone advise me on what to use between kindling and cinderstorm given my gear? Does my gear matter? I'm getting better results with kindling but I don't have decent trinkets so I have no idea what to use between the two. I get the general idea that Kindling isn't very good when it's a short fight, but it just feels better in mythic + with the ability to use it every 1-2 packs. Are the trinkets what make it worthwhile? Is it the slightly higher sustained dps? I really don't know and can't find information regarding it.

I don't do high-end content atm, I just pug heroic raids and run a few mythic +'s with friends, but I still think i'm a competent player and would like to know what the absolutely most optimum way to play it is. http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Maninim/simple
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2016-10-08 at 09:19 PM.

I've long been #TeamCinderstorm, but honestly I've grown to love Kindling for M+ now. While Cinderstorm does do impressive work on stacked packs, you also get silly numbers from things like Combustion + Living Bomb, and Kindling lets you do that more. A lot more. Given that M+ runs take anything from 12-30 minutes or so depending on what you run and how well, you can squeeze out quite a few extra Combustions over the duration.

For raids I guess it depends on the fight and the strategy you're using. On most single-target fights (Nythendra, Ursoc) I like Kindling more, while on AoE/cleave fights I like Cinderstorm. Elethere Renferal is a bit of a weird one I suppose and can go either way. Cenarius is potentially also a Kindling fight, not because of a lack of AoE/cleave but because the timing works out so you have Combustion up for the important add packs. Depending on how hard you struggle with that fight on heroic, priority DPS may benefit your guild more than overall damage.

In general, Kindling and Cinderstorm are fairly close. Deciding based on simulation results will likely leave a margin for error large enough that fight-specific demands, the particular strategy, or simply personal playstyle may favor one or the other. Try to take the data from SimCraft as the base, and then be smart about applying your own personal specifics to find out what you think works best.

I suppose the variations are huge and depend on guild from guild, if your average kill time is around 5 mins per boss, then kindling is better and one sinew gets used out of sync with other cooldowns. However if your average kill time is 4 mins or lower then cinderstorm is better simply for the fact it lines up better with sinew.

Honestly I'll be happy the day blizz replace sinew with a less pain in the ass BIS trinket.
    I agree, and the raid trinkets as a whole are underwhelming. They tried to make them unique and now they just don't feel like they do anything. I'd imagine horrorslime may be fun to run in m+, but besides that the trinkets are pretty disappointing. I think it reflects poorly whenever I'm looking for things like tots forged spiked tongues over wanting trinkets from EN.