Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

RIFT removes more from F2P players / Adventurine

A bit depressing. I was giving them a chance. Is this a sign of even more to come? It doesn't look good.

This is looking to be an interesting "first impression" when the new Starfall Prophecy releases to see how much else they shift to the cash shop.

Once again, we see what many perceive as nickle and diming considering how much many players have invested in leveling up their minion collection - even purchasing them for credits.

http://forums.riftgame.com/general-d...ml#post5250289

"With the release of Starfall Prophecy, we’re going to make a change to Aventurine and Seasonal Minions Missions. We’re instituting a cap in the amount of Aventurine anyone can possess at one time.

Many of you noticed that over the last year, rewards from World Event missions have been lower than they had been previously. We had to reduce rewards for World Event missions because players could save up massive amounts of Aventurine and spend them for huge rewards as soon as the events went live – definitely not as intended! Instead of World Event Missions being a supplemental bonus for rare event currencies (as they were designed), they actually became the main way some individuals got these currencies. This wasn’t good for the Minion system, World Events, or all of you. As long as players were able to amass huge stockpiles, we had to balance the rewards from these missions against the assumption that everyone was potentially sitting on stockpiles of 100,000 Aventurine, or more even if many players were not.

With the launch of Starfall Prophecy, Aventurine will be capped at 5,000. This gives us the freedom to offer better rewards once again, and keeps players from being “forced” to hoard Aventurine in order to get reasonable rewards from World Event Minion Missions. We wanted to give you as much advance notice as possible, so that you can spend any excess Aventurine on high end missions before SFP goes live!

The RIFT Team "

The little minion game just became more F2P unfriendly.

Puts a 5k cap on a the popular little card-game.

Spending money/credits, however, won't be capped?

Is this yet another thing that Trion's marketing have decided to screw over the F2P player base showing the desperation of the game?

It must be noted that the free Android/iPhone scratch that was was deemed "too take too many resources" to fix was neglected and yet this new, monetizeable in-game was made. It was a selling point of Nightmare Tide.

There is STILL no simple "tick box" in the UI to disable the display of the "monetizable" adventures. It's an "in-your-face" - "press button to win" - You have to manually click "shuffle".

There will, of course, I assume be no cap on how many times people who want to click the CREDIT option. So, if they're improving the rewards, but removing the F2P option to shuffle, hurry adventures, but not credits does this not constitute another P2W element?

Purely a new restriction on F2P players.

Also, NOTE that ALL excess Adventurine over the 5k cap will be removed
    on Starfall Prophecy release - SPEND IT NOW.

Last edited by theWocky; 2016-10-14 at 12:47 AM.

I'm really not surprised anymore with Trion.

ha, i think i have 140k or so adventurine, i guess i have even less of a reason to return now.

Adventurine needed to be capped, to be honest. Being able to stockpile massive amounts and then dump it all during an event is kinda broken. I mean, it's what I've done a few times, but it's still pretty freaking broken.

Also, this has nothing to do with F2P at all, this impacts F2P and sub players alike. This only doesn't impact folks that spend money on credits for this kind of stuff. And honestly, it's only "popular" (and I think that's a stretch) because it's a no effort way to get tons of free stuff.

There's plenty to critique Trion on in terms of their handling of Rift, this is not really one of those things. Especially not as "F2P unfriendly" as this impacts all players who don't spend on credits.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'd swear they were taking away Aventurine completely and you could only hurry up a mission with credits only

Protip, your minions will still bring you back the stuff, you just can't stockpile it above 5k anymore but i guess you were fine with people that stockpiled 200k aventurine making a killing on day one of the Expansion by non stop hurrying 4 hour missions and flooding the market with new crafting mats nobody was able to even gather yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    There's plenty to critique Trion on in terms of their handling of Rift, this is not really one of those things. Especially not as "F2P unfriendly" as this impacts all players who don't spend on credits.
    You are, of course, absolutely correct.

The correct wording for the heading of article should have been: "RIFT continues down Nickle and Diming Path" - it has little to do with F2P.

Further strong-arming players to use credits - like the OP mount - introduced as a selling point of the expansion and then tainted.

It seems to be a pattern. Sell something. Make it fun and/or viable and when enough people purchase, nerf it to the friggin' ground.

This would be more fair if they made the limit on 5000 Adventurine cap per minion bought. People shelled out cash for minions. Now, they're gimped.

Entire Trion RIFT marketing ethos appears to be built around this.
    No Tricks, No Traps... until you decide to buy something.

For minions, it started ages ago with the removal of any significant rewards, the introduction on P2W crafting components for the paid adventures.

As for the title, it was late. I was thinking one thing at time of posting and wrote another.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-10-14 at 07:28 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    For minions, it started ages ago with the removal of any significant rewards, the introduction on P2W crafting components for the paid adventures.
    Funny thing is they say the change/new cap is so they can put in new and better rewards. They have or better had so many ways to tackle the problem of stacking adv. , but they do it in the worst way, and its pretty obvious that this a money making decision not a way to get better rewards back into minions.

in the end its just another sad change, showing again how out of touch trion is with their own game...

The correct wording for the heading of article should have been: "RIFT continues down Nickle and Diming Path" - it has little to do with F2P.
    In a sense, sure. But even that's a bit much, and I say this as someone who is routinely critical of Trion and especially many of the changes they've made to Rift.

The cap needed to be added. Flat out, there's no getting around it. Being able to stockpile tens/hundreds of thousands of adventurine and then dump it all during events was broken. Period.

It wasn't hugely broken in the "oh, it will break the economy/event!" way, but it definitely wasn't something that Trion intended. Allowing folks with credits to spend some to do more missions etc. once they're out of adventurine is more akin to the usual convenience speed boosts you see in F2P games a la experience boosters etc.

Further strong-arming players to use credits - like the OP mount - introduced as a selling point of the expansion and then tainted.

It seems to be a pattern. Sell something. Make it fun and/or viable and when enough people purchase, nerf it to the friggin' ground.
    In some instances, sure. But again, this was definitely needed. And somehow I doubt that minion missions are that much of a credit drain for players, the credit spends are cheap and the rewards you get for them compared to other things you can spend credit on aren't great.

This would be more fair if they made the limit on 5000 Adventurine cap per minion bought. People shelled out cash for minions. Now, they're gimped.
    I think I've actually purchased one minion, maybe two, and I've probably got around 20-25 minions total. So you think me having a cap of 100-125k adventurine. Most folks would easily have 75k plus caps (you get the what, 5 base starting minions which puts you at 25k instantly and you can super duper insanely cheaply and easily pick up another 5-10) which would make the whole point of capping adventurine moot. If they dropped it down to 1k per, then maybe, but even then you're still doing that thing you don't want them to do and giving an advantage to folks that have spent money on expanding their stable of minions.

Entire Trion RIFT marketing ethos appears to be built around this.
    No Tricks, No Traps... until you decide to buy something.
    Sure, but this really isn't something that fits into that well. I get you hate Trion, but let's keep the criticism hyperbole free and constructive. Complaining just to complain is kinda pointless.

Must have missed this, the removal of what significant rewards? Rewards have never been anything that I'd have considered "considerate", at least not outside how easy it is to farm event items using adventurine stockpiles (which they're addressing). What P2W crafting components are you talking about being in the paid adventures? I've never done one (they shocked me the first time I saw them, actually) so not sure what's in there that's "P2W".

I wish they would just shutdown the MMO at this point.

Its sad to see the state its in and they are 100% at fault for it.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2016-10-14 at 04:36 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Every time i want to install Rift again, a new topic talking bad about the game comes up ( still, stupid Trion, i'll never forget them for deleting my mage )

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I've actually purchased one minion, maybe two, and I've probably got around 20-25 minions total. So you think me having a cap of 100-125k adventurine.
    I meant to refer to "minion slots" - ie I have 6, so a limit of 6 x 5,000 = 30,000

What P2W crafting components are you talking about being in the paid adventures?
    Crafting mats for the best essences in game.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...-essences.html

I get you hate Trion, but let's keep the criticism hyperbole free and constructive.
    This is what I don't get. It's not hatred. I don't "hate" anyone.

It's a complete distrust and suspicion. They're perceived as unethical and greedy. If you search back to 2011 ~ 2014, you will find me singing their praises. You know this.

Why do you think no-one supports them on YouTube, Fan sites? The company has changed.

Why do you see such resentment for and hate "on" them compared to other MMO companies?
    It's not the game that made all these people mad. It's just mostly poor decisions - marketing, PR, quality, perceived greed, bad (really bad) planning and absolutely shocking quality control.

Why do you think their censorship is so obscene?

Only community betrayal, going back on of promises and core principles could have caused this - and of course the internal politics between PR, devs, players.

I've left other MMO's after investing substantial time in them, EvE, WoW, Wildstar, Guild Wars 2, ESO and there was no ill feelings towards the company - even with the GW2 launch / endgame being a total let-down.

RIFT is a nice little PvE game and the guild I'm in are nice folk. Most of the Rift folk are good people. Even Slipmat for all his over-the-top passion and us bumping heads, he's not a bad bloke "in game" - exceptionally helpful to new folk - he's passionate about making the game thrive. Can't fault him for that, but he does drive me nuts with his blind loyalty - often.

It's not hate. I just simply don't trust Trion to do the right thing with any game. They need to win trust back.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2016-10-14 at 05:20 PM.

Crafting mats for the best essences in game.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...-essences.html
    Oh wow, I thought the Malthosia event thingy was just the zone event for some reason but it's actually a limited time event that's not even running. That's legit super scummy and worth calling Trion out on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I wish they would just shutdown the MMO at this point.

Its sad to see the state its in and they are 100% at fault for it.
    Indeed. Just trying to milk the game for all it's worth at this point and I guarantee Starfall Prophecy is going to sell very little.

10+ Year Old Account
    Surely people aren't trying to say the essences are "P2W"....bwahahahahaha, you mean these essences that come from boxes that Dream Weavers can craft?

Even this close to a new Expansion and a gear reset, you can't give away the "P2W" crafting item.

Keep trying though, makes for "interesting" reading

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Surely people aren't trying to say the essences are "P2W"....bwahahahahaha, you mean these essences that come from boxes that Dream Weavers can craft?

Even this close to a new Expansion and a gear reset, you can't give away the "P2W" crafting item.

So does your blatant blind defence of Trion. <3. They could gate a raid behind real money and you would find shit like that acceptable.

Dude, you need the Cosmic Fragments to make those boxes, and currently those only come from the paid minion missions as far as I can tell.

So yeah, if you don't pay money you can't get the materials to craft the boxes and can't get the essences to drop.

Slipmat, bro, come on. Let's pretend to exist in the same reality as everyone else.

Dude, you need the Cosmic Fragments to make those boxes, and currently those only come from the paid minion missions as far as I can tell.

So yeah, if you don't pay money you can't get the materials to craft the boxes and can't get the essences to drop.

Slipmat, bro, come on. Let's pretend to exist in the same reality as everyone else.
    No point trying to talk to a brick wall Edge.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you don't pay money you can't get the materials to craft the boxes and can't get the essences to drop.
    Is it you spending the money? fairly sure the screen shot clearly shows those cosmic fragments for sale in the AH for Platinum, you know the virtual in game free currency?

Glad to see so many players "concerned" about how others spend their cash thereby providing people who don't spend any money the items they want, equally funny is how the usual suspects rag on about this in Rift when every MMORPG has this feature, maybe i should start crying that people can buy WoW tokens on the AH? i mean somebody had to spend their money for you to buy it with virtual in game gold, not like it's your money.

Is it you spending the money? fairly sure the screen shot clearly shows those cosmic fragments for sale in the AH for Platinum, you know the virtual in game free currency?
    Yes, but where do they originally come from?

From paid minion adventures. So someone has to pay for the chance to get them as a reward.

Or is there another way to get them that I'm unaware of?

Glad to see so many players "concerned" about how others spend their cash
    When it potentially impacts gameplay, yeah, actually.

thereby providing people who don't spend any money the items they want, equally funny is how the usual suspects rag on about this in Rift when every MMORPG has this feature,
    This is patently false. Most MMO's do not have items that are necessary for crafting top quality gear that can only be obtained (initially) via spending real money. In fact, I'm struggling to think of another game that does this period.

Yes, many games allow you to sell cash shop cosmetics like pets or costumes on the auction house but that's not the issue here. The issue is that these items, necessary for crafting what are apparently some of the best essences in the game, can only be initially earned via cash shop expenditures.

maybe i should start crying that people can buy WoW tokens on the AH?
    If you want, but you're missing what we're being critical of so that you can try to misdirect away from it.

i mean somebody had to spend their money for you to buy it with virtual in game gold, not like it's your money.
    Again, that's not the issue. Read out posts again and you'll see our issue is with the way that those items are purchased in the first place.

Seriously man, you're hard and harder to take seriously and you do the Rift community literally no benefits with this kind of shit.

Yes, but where do they originally come from?

From paid minion adventures. So someone has to pay for the chance to get them as a reward.

Or is there another way to get them that I'm unaware of?

When it potentially impacts gameplay, yeah, actually.

This is patently false. Most MMO's do not have items that are necessary for crafting top quality gear that can only be obtained (initially) via spending real money. In fact, I'm struggling to think of another game that does this period.

Yes, many games allow you to sell cash shop cosmetics like pets or costumes on the auction house but that's not the issue here. The issue is that these items, necessary for crafting what are apparently some of the best essences in the game, can only be initially earned via cash shop expenditures.

If you want, but you're missing what we're being critical of so that you can try to misdirect away from it.

Again, that's not the issue. Read out posts again and you'll see our issue is with the way that those items are purchased in the first place.

Seriously man, you're hard and harder to take seriously and you do the Rift community literally no benefits with this kind of shit.
    Edge. Brick wall. Cmon dude. Look at it this way. When Rift shuts down inevitably all that blind defence of his will surely be worth it. . You've been in the Wildstar forums you've seen exactly the same crap.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2016-10-14 at 10:44 PM.