Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Do you think Scotland will call another independence referendum

And do you care?

Obviously with Article 50 looming closer Sturgeon is getting more worried and desperately trying to cling to the EU. Do you think a second independence referendum is inevitable and do you think the Scottish people will leave and risk a potential worst of situation. Personally curiosity kinda makes me want a second independence referendum

It depends what type of Brexit we're heading for, hard or soft. If it's hard then yeah there'll be another one, if it's soft or Scotland can take the reverse Greenland option then there probably won't.
    Last edited by Shadowmelded; 2016-10-15 at 12:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Depends on whether we let them have it or not.

Probably not.

Well at the moment it's just more Sturgeon posturing that we've seen for years.

It'd be pretty insane to get Independence now. With Britain leaving, Italy banking still in turmoil, Greece potentially being shown the door, and Merkel losing huge amounts of support in Germany, the EU of the next 4-5 years is going to start growing into a very different beast. The far right-wing AfD is gaining huge momentum in Germany, along with similar right wing parties all over Europe (just look at Hofers popularity in Austria) .

Considering already, the argument for a another referendum is built around the nonsense idea that the entire reasoning for the Brexit was racist in general, leaving the UK to potentially (if they'll alow them in) join a growingly right-wing and increasingly financially troubled EU seems a real risk.

To be honest, Westminster needs to grow some balls and just say to Sturgeon "No. fuck off."
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Scotland will call another referendum.

The SNP minority government only care about separation. They've been in power in the Scottish government for 9 years now and their mismanagement is shocking.

Scotland is running a deficit of over £15b and the only reason Scotland isn't bankrupt right now is because the UK can absorb the loss. I'm disgusted when I think that I used to support independence, it would destroy the country, Scotland is in a far worse position now than it was in 2014 and even back then independence would have been bad.

Also, to break off from the UK over Brexit makes no sense because an independent Scotland with a deficit of 9.5% of GDP would not be eligible to join the EU.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Also, to break off from the UK over Brexit makes no sense because an independent Scotland with a deficit of 9.5% of GDP would not be eligible to join the EU.
    Greece managed to get in

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pingasman82 View Post
    Greece managed to get in
    They weren't having their huge financial troubles at the time that they joined, Greece was able to live well beyond its means because of the EU and are now paying the price.

Rally the clans.

One thing is almost for certain-- if Scotland votes to leave the rest of the UK will have the overwhelming political will to leave the EU without Scotland's vote anchoring them to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    It depends what type of Brexit we're heading for, hard or soft. If it's hard then yeah there'll be another one, if it's soft or Scotland can take the reverse Greenland option then there probably won't.
    This thread ended quickly.

But seriously, May seems to be heading towards hard Brexit so it seems like we'll have a referendum soon. You think Scotland's in a bad spot right now? Just wait 'til after the UK leaves the EU. If Scotland is still part of it by then we can talk about financial trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Depends on whether we let them have it or not.
    Really bad idea not to let them have it. Separatism only grows stronger when its being actively worked against.

Deleted
    i think they will, and i think westminster will try to block it

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. And no I don't care. Scotland's attempts to leave the UK whenever Westminster does something the Scots even mildly dislike reminds me of all the numerous times Texas has claimed it's going to leave the USA or the many times Puerto Rico has called for a vote to become a state, it's own country or stay the same. Scotland has had plenty of time to leave the UK. The status-quo for Scotland may not be perfect, but enough Scots understand it benefits them to be a quasi-country than to be an independent nation. Not all of Westminster's decisions are going to benefit them, much in the same way not all of the US federal government decisions are going to benefit every state of the nation, but Scotland benefits from a superior bargaining posture with respect to international trade as part of the UK than they ever would outside of it. Worse, there are all the problems of divvying up resources, territory and tax income that would come from leaving the UK, no different than the same problems the UK is facing with the EU. Internally, Scotland stands to benefit more from staying as part of the UK, especially in regards to their respective borders, which would become more not less locked down if they were to become their own country and join the EU. It is unlikely that Westminster would be receptive to Scotland agreeing to EU mandates to accept refugees, when a major point of the Brexit was to avoid allowing those refugees on UK soil. It would be an easy hop for refugees then to jump the rather fluid border between England and Scotland and really just negate a major sticking point of the Brexit, which would do nothing more than sour relations further between the England and Scotland, to which Scotland would see little benefit.

The rallying cry of Scottish nationalists is little more than rabble rousing to get Westminster to pay them some attention and gain some leverage on other internal economic and social issues. Westminster will not pay more attention to Scotland if they are an independent nation and certainly not if Scotland is also part of the EU.

So yes, I think Scotland will call for a Referendum (a system that could seriously use a cooldown nerf in the UK) but I suspect it will either go away *wiggles fingers to indicate political magic* before it becomes an actual vote, or the people will vote it down...as they have several times before. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Westminster has to give Scotland a little more leash anyway.

The EU in the meantime will promise Scotland the moon, and deliver Cyprus.
    Last edited by Sunseeker; 2016-10-15 at 02:23 PM.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Depends. NPR says around 30something% want to leave. But that can change in the future.

I doubt they'd get a chance to have a second shot personally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Depends. NPR says around 30something% want to leave. But that can change in the future.
    and yet the polls for brexit said remain.

10+ Year Old Account
    One of the tactics to keep them in was to say they would lose E.U membership
    From my understanding Scotland as a whole supported remain

Go ahead, the U.K said an exit is better than union if you feel you are not benefiting.

They'll need to make spears. Hundreds of them! Long spears, twice as long as a man.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    One of the tactics to keep them in was to say they would lose E.U membership
    From my understanding Scotland as a whole supported remain

Go ahead, the U.K said an exit is better than union if you feel you are not benefiting.
    Must say i agree. They could use most of the GB arguments for leaving the union. Don't know if its the best thing for Scotland to leave though as Spain might block them because of their own separatist groups.

We still don't know the full effect of Brexit, if the economy blooms then leaving would be quite stupid if not just for ideology.

Im sure they will try. Seems most people in Britain seem to think they can just keep rerunning ballots until they get the result they want.