Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Angry BadBoy just got ruined, I guess

https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/bad-boy

So this addon has been pretty amazing for years now, hiding annoying crap from the chat, with an option to report all that crap as well. However, with the latest changes, the guy who's in charge of this addon decided that no, users don't get to choose whether they report something or not anymore; now it's mandatory.

Basically, what it does now, is it adds an annoying blinking icon on your chat window whenever the addon blocks something, and once it does that, you can't click anything in that chat window - item links or links of any kind, Prat's copy window, etc. - because as soon as you do, the addon reports whatever it just blocked. And, with the way gold sellers and guild advertisers ruin trade chat, it will be throwing that blinking shit up constantly. Basically it overlays your entire chat window with a "report spam" -button.

He just decided to conscript all the users of his addon in his personal crusade against spam in the chats, with the logic that if everyone reports spam on the stuff his addon removes from the chats, that will somehow have an effect on things. Which it hasn't had for the past 12 years.

I'm not that great with lua, but I'll be trying to figure out if I can rip this report function out of his addon so I can keep using it as a spam blocker. However, if someone here uses it as well, and is more versed in the language, if you could point to a cord I can cut in the code so the report function stops working (I don't mind if it throws up an error when loading), that'd be great.

The argument about whether forcing hundreds of thousands of users of this addon to report spam constantly is the right thing to do is pretty much secondary here, but if you feel like you want to jump on his crusade then feel free to post, of course. Personally I just think it's a completely asinine move, and I'll stop using the addon if I can't figure out how to disable the report function.

I update Badboy recently but I rather not deal with this so I just downloaded a older version of it. I usually click the report button whenever I am bored but I wont accept being forced to report people.

Deleted
    Here's an image of me hovering my mouse over the mythic keystone item link on the chat (cursor isn't visible in the screenie):

The tooltip shows the BadBoy message and in the right lower corner there's the blinking icon. I can't click on the mythic keystone link without BadBoy doing the report.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Here's an image of me hovering my mouse over the mythic keystone item link on the chat (cursor isn't visible in the screenie):

The tooltip shows the BadBoy message and in the right lower corner there's the blinking icon. I can't click on the mythic keystone link without BadBoy doing the report.
    The REAL problem I see here, is you are in your garrison still!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Opaug View Post
    The REAL problem I see here, is you are in your garrison still!!
    I like the snow. And it's quiet there!

You can probably disable that by going into the code and commenting out that line:

BadBoy.lua#L748
    --btn:Show()

As far as I'm aware, that should prevent it from ever popping up and disrupting your chatbox.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammako View Post
    You can probably disable that by going into the code and commenting out that line:

BadBoy.lua#L748
    --btn:Show()

As far as I'm aware, that should prevent it from ever popping up and disrupting your chatbox.
    Thanks, I'll comment that out as well. I actually commented out the entire "do" function starting at line 762 in that file, as it seemed to have to do with the button. Maybe with these changes it'll work and not explode.

I use BadBoy and its guild and cleaner extensions. I love this addon. I'm also familiar with most of the code and can probably figure out how to disable that button, but I'm not going to. It's just one click. One click. Nothing else. Your mouse is already on the chat frame for the things BadBoy is blocking. It's not going to kill you to click.

It's amazing how one can whine about something so insignificant.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Complaining over a mere click, like, seriously... ?

The blocking of the chat and interfering with links sounds like bugs.
    The non-option when it comes to reporting if that is actually meant to be the case would be a valid complaint.
    I think it is a bit hasty to make those claims.

Automatic reporting would be one thing, a button which is behaving in such a way as to actually prompt you to turn it off seems contradictory to that "aim" you are describing.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

What I don't get is why the "badboy" option disappeared from my interface / addon panel, I had the cc_cleaner plugin installed and wanted to add more stuff (new stupid goldsellers are cropping up now back with "Karazhan boost" and default one doesn't pick them yet), and the option is now hidden somewhere?

Also I prefer the new icon because... since 7.1 Blizzard decided to ruin the in-game font and make it unreadable on light / transparent backgrounds. So I installed prat. And old badboy was conflicting with it, you couldn't click report spam it was popping an error. While the icon works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The blocking of the chat and interfering with links sounds like bugs.
    The non-option when it comes to reporting if that is actually meant to be the case would be a valid complaint.
    I think it is a bit hasty to make those claims.

Automatic reporting would be one thing, a button which is behaving in such a way as to actually prompt you to turn it off seems contradictory to that "aim" you are describing.
    According to funkydude, the author, this change is fully intended. With the new flexibility in ScrollingMessageFrames, he has opted to remove the chat link that reports on click and instead create a clickable overlay with an animated button. One single click and this overlay goes away. It does not "interfere" with anything, it is a very convenient shortcut to report spammers. This thread exists because someone doesn't want to click it. It's like someone standing in front of a swinging door complaining that they can't enter, while someone else walks through the one next to them.
    Last edited by Kanegasi; 2016-10-28 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Yeah but it ain't one click though is it, if you're on a high pop realm it could be several within 5 minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanegasi View Post
    This thread exists because someone doesn't want to click it.
    No. This thread exists because we no longer have the option not to report, and because I personally don't want to be forced to click it and forced to report the spam. I'm not even sure exactly what all BadBoy will report as spam; will it report every single guild advert on trade chat as spam? Will it report all those lines/words I have defined myself? None of that is not against any Blizzard's rules, so it'd be me who's breaking the rules by spamming Blizzard with pointless spam reports. I don't want to do that. And that's the thing. I would like an addon that hides all that horrible crap from the chats, but I would also like to opt out from actively spam reporting people every two seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GranitXhaka29 View Post
    Yeah but it ain't one click though is it, if you're on a high pop realm it could be several within 5 minutes
    Yeah... In my realm group, the button pops up constantly, so it's basically a spam report every single time you want to click a link in the chat screen.

Also, like I said, it's not just about the click. I don't want to spam report people. Especially not for guild advertisements and such, and especially not blindly, which would be what it would come down to if I had to be doing it constantly. This is how the addon worked for years; it would block stuff, but you didn't have to report anything. Hence why I think it's "ruined" now, with the forced reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrilaife View Post
    What I don't get is why the "badboy" option disappeared from my interface / addon panel
    Another intentional change by the developer. The only options for the main addon are now available via /badboy.

Anyways, the guy has been listening to some of the feedback and has made at least one change:

Quote Originally Posted by funkydude@curse.com
    Latest release allows you to dismiss the button without reporting using right click, and reduces the frequency it shows on high pop realms. More to come.
    Hoping he will reimplement the opting out of spam reporting.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-10-29 at 06:01 AM.

Deleted
    seriously how lazy are you that you complain over 1 click, there are people who are starving and dying in the world yet you complain about a fucking addon this is a new low, this has to be a troll thread

Quote Originally Posted by FurryFoxWolf View Post
    seriously how lazy are you that you complain over 1 click, there are people who are starving and dying in the world yet you complain about a fucking addon this is a new low, this has to be a troll thread
    And can you imagine how much of a pain in the backside that is on an extremely high population server where trade is usually flooded?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Axelond View Post
    I update Badboy recently but I rather not deal with this so I just downloaded a older version of it. I usually click the report button whenever I am bored but I wont accept being forced to report people.
    Pretty much everyone will do the same I imagine. Don't understand why it was changed personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I'm not even sure exactly what all BadBoy will report as spam; will it report every single guild advert on trade chat as spam? Will it report all those lines/words I have defined myself?
    It only reports spam. That's it. BadBoy has a set of internal rules for spam separate from other options. Guilded and CCleaner just hides things. It's unfortunate that funkydude is bending to unnecessary pressure with that right click.

Deleted
    The fact it flashes in the most annoying way until you do something about it is the worst part, its an unwelcome distraction and will simply lead to people moving away from the addon. His principle of reporting bad's is not what's in question here, simply his method at the annoyance of the end user.

I haven't encountered any of the clicky bugs or annoying flashes or anything else, even with the first version that included the change. It was just a small, unobtrusive little dot in the bottom right. I actually like it quite a lot as opposed to the line of text, which tended to defeat the purpose of not wanting to see extra crap in your chat.
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

I was hoping to avoid this thread and let people debate their opinions freely but I feel there are some things going unanswered so I will try throw in some points of information.

• You can access the options via /badboy as you always could. Options panel was cleaned up and is now freely moveable.
    • If you are concerned about what is being reported, enable the "show spam in tooltip" option or install BadBoy_History. I edited the project descriptions for _CCleaner and _Guilded to clarify they do not report.
    • The method of reporting wasn't changed for the sake of it. The new patch (accidentally) broke it, a new method was devised to replace it.
    • As described above, the benefit of the new method is it doesn't replace spam with a new chat line (asking to report).
    • The method of reporting is malleable, not set in stone. I realize some people think I'm "pushing this method", I am not. I have made a lot of changes directly from user feedback and they are happy with the improvements.
    • The idea that it "constantly shows up" is a large over exaggeration. The button has several throttles implemented. It is designed to show up as little as possible whilst reporting as much spam as possible per-click. Even clicking the button will further delay the next time the button shows.
    • I have characters on a few high population realms and I usually see the button show up twice, max 3 times. If you're having some severe problem with it showing up constantly, PM me your server and faction so I can check it out.

And on a final note, people naturally don't like change, it's human, it's normal. Combing that with inevitable teething issues of a brand new feature will always result in unhappy people. Improving it is a gradual process and I want to say thanks to all the people who are giving great feedback to improve the addon for everyone.
    https://github.com/funkydude - https://github.com/BigWigsMods
    Author of BadBoy, BasicChatMods, BigWigs, BFAInvasionTimer, SexyMap, and more...