Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Sources: Microsoft and Platinum part ways on Scalebound, development ceased

Microsoft and Platinum part ways on Scalebound, development ceased
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...lopment-ceased
    Development of Xbox One exclusive Scalebound has ceased after more than four years.

Multiple sources have confirmed to Eurogamer that Microsoft and developer Platinum Games have parted ways on the project, and that work concluded before the end of 2016.

This tallies with a just-published Kotaku report which states the game is currently in trouble, and possibly cancelled.

Scalebound was last seen in public back at Gamescom 2016 in August. Since then, the relationship between Microsoft and Osaka-based developer Platinum Games dramatically soured.

Work on the game took a serious knock last autumn, Eurogamer sources say, when several senior members of the development team were forced to take a month away from the pressure of the project's heavy workload.

These project members then returned, but Scalebound was now behind schedule. With continuing issues surrounding the game's engine and overdue deadlines, the decision was made that the project could no longer continue.

It's unclear whether Scalebound could still be revived by Platinum, but as we understand it, work on the project as we know it has now concluded. Eurogamer has asked Microsoft for comment.

Scalebound was the brainchild of Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry, Okami and Bayonetta director Hideki Kamiya.

Originally announced via an eye-catching cinematic trailer back at E3 2014, it wasn't until Gamescom 2015 that Microsoft narrowed down an initial release window of "holiday 2016". In January last year, Microsoft pushed this release date back to a vague "2017" placheholder.

Early work on Scalebound dates back far further, however. Platinum had plans for one version of the game as early as 2006, Kamiya previously told Eurogamer. Another attempt was made to pitch it to publishers after the 2009 release of Bayonetta.

It wasn't until 2013 that work began on Scalebound as we know it, after Kamiya completed work on Wii U exclusive The Wonderful 101 for Nintendo.

Pubs vs. video games
    Addiction, bluffing, and sexually suggestive imagery.
    Pubs vs. video games
    Scalebound was to have starred a human protagonist (controlled in third-person) and a dragon sidekick (controlled in first-person). The latter could be given guidance to move or attack, or could be controlled directly.

It had a large open-world, four-player co-op and "the biggest boss fight Platinum has ever done". It was also coming to Windows 10, Microsoft announced last year.
    GOD DAM MOTHER FUCKEN SON OF A BITCH ASS TATER TOT FUCKEN FUCK FUCK.............................

Really hope Sony can pick it up and finish it, This game looked awesome.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, we're still waiting for official confirmation.

But if that's the case, then the X1 will lose its only remaining title worthy of it.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Darkdeii View Post
    I'm at work and just teared/cried a little bit. I hope nobody saw that.
    I am so fucken pissed about this. The game seriously looked like it would be awesome.

Really hope Sony or even Nintendo picks it up.....FFS.

I own a XB1 but there isn't many games to get for it as it stands.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Honestly it looked like another Korra but with better graphics. Its been no secret the "A" team of Platinum is working on Nier Automata and Kamiya isn't the sole rock star dev others like Kojima and Miyazaki get reputations for. A bunch of Kamiyas works have kind of tarnished P*'s name the last few years and i could see this being seen a just not being worth it. I mean lets be honest, Xbox One exclusives have had a bad habit of being sent out to die just to try and create any franchise to ride on as titles like Halo 5 sell the least of their series and bruteforced microtransactions drive players away. That could be a very stressful enviroment, some of the 343 leaks sound like horror stories, i could see a japanese company simply not putting up with what western devs do because they have no other irons in the fire.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Honestly it looked like another Korra but with better graphics. Its been no secret the "A" team of Platinum is working on Nier Automata and Kamiya isn't the sole rock star dev others like Kojima and Miyazaki get reputations for. A bunch of Kamiyas works have kind of tarnished P*'s name the last few years and i could see this being seen a just not being worth it. I mean lets be honest, Xbox One exclusives have had a bad habit of being sent out to die just to try and create any franchise to ride on as titles like Halo 5 sell the least of their series and bruteforced microtransactions drive players away. That could be a very stressful enviroment, some of the 343 leaks sound like horror stories, i could see a japanese company simply not putting up with what western devs do because they have no other irons in the fire.
    Quite true, I do hope at a later date Platinum picks it back up and finish's it even more so if it now has a chance to be on other platforms. Kinda odd tho we heard more about it a few months back and now its dead.

That's 4 years of work I am sure Platinum wants some value out of.

The game is still up on the upcoming games list on the Xbox store, but if you click the link, it redirects to the homepage.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/scalebound

I'm in the same position as you. I was DYING for this game, had it preordered and everything (at least I'm sure it was on amazon). It looked so amazing and probably the only game I was looking forward to on xbone other than halo. this just... ugh.
    I got my XB1 mainly for gears because I love the series.

But this game looks awesome along with a couple other titles that has released. Phantom Dust seemed interesting as well and I bet that's getting canceled since we haven't heard shit about it since like the first year of XB1.

This game looked really good even more so in its recent video. Sad to see it canceled.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Quite true, I do hope at a later date Platinum picks it back up and finish's it even more so if it now has a chance to be on other platforms. Kinda odd tho we heard more about it a few months back and now its dead.

That's 4 years of work I am sure Platinum wants some value out of.
    Wouldn't be the first time with Kamiya. Resident Evil "1.5" is kind of the most infamous example but he will scrap projects very late in development for no reason beyond "i got a better idea".

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    The game is still up on the upcoming games list on the Xbox store, but if you click the link, it redirects to the homepage.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/scalebound
    Ya safe to say its dead now, hope they pick it up later and finish it. Maybe Sony will grab it now.

Phantom Dust seemed interesting as well and I bet that's getting canceled since we haven't heard shit about it since like the first year of XB1.
    Phantom Dust was cancelled last year man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Game seemed like it had potential. Oh well. At least I get to play Nier this year.

Wouldn't be the first time with Kamiya. Resident Evil "1.5" is kind of the most infamous example but he will scrap projects very late in development for no reason beyond "i got a better idea".
    That sucks.

Maybe there was issues with them and Microsoft. Who knows at this point I guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Game seemed like it had potential. Oh well. At least I get to play Nier this year.
    Ya highly looking forward to Nier.

- - - Updated - - -

Phantom Dust was cancelled last year man.
    It was..........fuck me I must have missed the announcement.

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/s...45880089427968

Someone is saying that Komiya is taking time off for mental health related issues.

https://twitter.com/MysticDistance/s...45880089427968

Someone is saying that Komiya is taking time off for mental health related issues.
    Well hope everything is ok. I rather a game get canceled then a dev kill themselves to make it.

I wonder how far along it is and if Platinum can pass it off to a B team to finish it.

Well hope everything is ok. I rather a game get canceled then a dev kill themselves to make it.

I wonder how far along it is and if Platinum can pass it off to a B team to finish it.
    Sad thing is it makes me wonder because "mental health issues" is very commonly used in the manga and games industries in japan to give an extreme alcoholic time to rehabilitate without bringing shame to the company for 'weakness'. A notable example was "Oh Great!" the creator of Air Gear. Kamiya is known for his temper online but i would not be surprised to find out a stressful development thats fallen apart pushed him to a bottle.

Oh yeah, gears also on that list! I've been so busy its on my list of games to play still :/. But now that xbox games will, ideally/hopefully, all go to PC.. bleh. I need to get the new gears this week to finally play it
    I collect so I got it for XB1 and I do enjoy the online at times. From what I hear the PVP Online on PC is dead (like I knew it would be). It was on sell for the holiday's and you still mite find it for cheap.

$36 on amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-4-X...gears+of+war+4

- - - Updated - - -

Sad thing is it makes me wonder because "mental health issues" is very commonly used in the manga and games industries in japan to give an extreme alcoholic time to rehabilitate without bringing shame to the company for 'weakness'. A notable example was "Oh Great!" the creator of Air Gear. Kamiya is known for his temper online but i would not be surprised to find out a stressful development thats fallen apart pushed him to a bottle.
    Ya true, like I said who knows what is really going on at this point.

Just really sucks that what looked to be a good game may not be happening now.

https://twitter.com/DirectFeedGames/...572865?lang=en

According to this, Scalebound actually started as a Wii game.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, wasn't Scalebound one of the first AAA Unreal Engine 4 titles? Issues may have sprung up because UE4 was new at the time.

Also, wasn't Scalebound one of the first AAA Unreal Engine 4 titles? Issues may have sprung up because UE4 was new at the time.
    Who knows...

I just hope someone (Sony) picks it up and finish's it. I'm sure they got a few teams they could throw at it.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-01-09 at 08:20 PM.

Well apparently microsoft confirmed it saying "but dont worry you still have halo wars 2"

Aint that a thing.

Well apparently microsoft confirmed it saying "but dont worry you still have halo wars 2"

Aint that a thing.
    There is no face palm big enough.......

I am slighty interested in halo wars 2 but only because its a RTS on console. Ill wait for it to be $20 or less before I buy it and that depends if its any better then Halo Wars 1.