Page 1 of 41
... LastLast

#CalExit? Are you kidding me?

So a bunch of people who took issue with the election results now want to get California to secede from the Union, because (get this, this is hilarious) "California's votes didn't matter". The secessionist group calling itself Yes California is tweeting this:

Again, California’s votes didn't matter in a US presidential election. Why should we continue to be part of this Union? #Calexit
    I am a Californian, one who voted FOR Trump as a matter of fact, and to this I have to say: "Are you FUCKING kidding me?" California has the biggest say in the election every fucking time. California gets a monstrous 55 electoral votes, more than any other state in the country. What, do they think that California alone should be able to determine the President? "WELP, time to pack it in folks, California decided that Hillary is the president and that's the end of it. Sorry Kansas, sorry Ohio, sorry Texas, you don't matter, all that matters is what California thinks!"

I didn't hear them complaining about their vote not counting in '08 and '12. The 55 vote majority, which almost always automatically goes to the Democrat party, does matter. But of course, the minute an election doesn't go the way that they want, they scream that they "never" get their way.

My three year old son is more mature than this.

I'll tell you what, "Yes California" - you can secede from the Union, as long as Northern California (you know, where you get all your water from) can secede from YOU and rejoin the Union as the State of Jefferson.

A vote in California is worth 1/5 of a vote in Wyoming.

The electoral college is a disaster. This election just shines the light on it a little longer and brighter.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Careful what you wish for, this may cause the san andreas fault to unleash the big one

10+ Year Old Account
    Please let them.

Due to your vote about 40% of the population will be forever convinced that you're a racist, sexist, xenophobe. I hope that 4 years from now you still think it was worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah, California isn't going to leave.

Though it would mean that they no longer have to help prop up the southern welfare states who constantly take money from the federal government to stay afloat.

As for the people wanting to split up California into different states, make no mistake... it's because they want to annex the primarily poor, conservative central California out. If Silicon Valley and Central California were separated, you'd instantly have the wealthiest state in the union next to the poorest state in the union.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    #CalExit didn't start because of the result of the 2016 presidential election. The movement has been around for awhile. Today, the day after the election, it happens to be news worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I'll tell you what, "Yes California" - you can secede from the Union, as long as Northern California (you know, where you get all your water from) can secede from YOU and rejoin the Union as the State of Jefferson.
    You think Northern California is more inclined to stay with the union than Southern California? I got news for you...
    Last edited by callipygoustp; 2016-11-10 at 02:57 AM.

Technically speaking if votes would be distributed proportionately California should get 65+ votes or something.

Also if you voted for Trump...you should be ashamed of yourself.

They are more than welcome in trying to leave. I don't hate Cali, actually like the place. Most of Cali seems to be ultra liberal and it's probably a real drag being tied to a less than ultra liberal nation.

I don't think they will be as well off as they think they will, Especially if Trump enacts the 35% tariff. But more power to them succeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Technically speaking if votes would be distributed proportionately California should get 65+ votes or something.
    Let's give them 70! Hillary still loses.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-11-10 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tj119 View Post
    Please let them.
    I'm confused how Republicans can look at California (perhaps the most successful state in the union by any reasonable metric) and dismiss it, just because they don't like its liberal and multicultural society.

Idiots don’t bitch when it’s a Democrat who wins but the second the Chosen One Queen Hillary loses an election no one except those with a brain expected her to have a chance to lose the Electoral College is fubar. Real funny kids, real funny. Let them leave, the land of Fruits and Nuts can try to make it on its’ own.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Well, it's kinda illegal for one. Second, California really couldn't do much without the other 47 contiguous states.

So just like Texas threatening to secede whenever two guys kiss, it's a bunch of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    A vote in California is worth 1/5 of a vote in Wyoming.
    And a Republican vote in California is absolutely worthless. They might as well outlaw all other parties in the state and make it a dictatorship of the Democratic Party.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Especially if Trump enacts the 35% tariff. But more power to them succeeding.
    The microsecond that happens, the US economy will implode on a scale never seen in since the Fall of Rome.

7+ Year Old Account
    They are more than welcome in trying to leave. I don't hate Cali, actually like the place. Most of Cali seems to be ultra liberal and it's probably a real drag being tied to a less than ultra liberal nation.

I don't think they will be as well off as they think they will, Especially if Trump enacts the 35% tariff. But more power to them succeeding.
    No chance of this happening. Mildly entertaining to read about a small group of idiots trying to push #CalExit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I'm confused how Republicans can look at California (perhaps the most successful state in the union by any reasonable metric) and dismiss it, just because they don't like its liberal and multicultural society.
    California has been slowly circling the drain for the past decade. Texas is actually probably the most successful state in the Union. Their economy kicks ass. I have lived in both Texas and in California and in terms of economy, I very much prefer Texas.

While I agree that saying "californias" votes did not matter makes little sense, it sometimes feels that way because we are a 100% dem lock, every single time. It makes it feel like we dont matter.

But. And im not alone in this, not by a longshot...

Im a democrat, and I dont vote in california, b/c my vote does not matter. Someday so many people in Cali might think like me, and there could be a huge upset for the repubs, but it has not happened yet.

If all the people who feel like I do would vote, I guarantee you the margin for Hillary would have been much higher than 61% http://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/president/

If the votes of several million people like me in Cali were ignored in this scenario, b/c of the electoral college, you can bet your ass there would be some changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tell them about it. We do them the service of contributing the single largest chunk of the nation's GDP, making the rest of the country's technology, medicine, and media, and what's the thanks we get? This Orangutan in a suit as president?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    Due to your vote about 40% of the population will be forever convinced that you're a racist, sexist, xenophobe. I hope that 4 years from now you still think it was worth it.
    Technically he only got 47% of 50% of 75%.

About a quarter of people in the country are under 18, so only slightly less than ~75% of people are eligible to vote. Half of those people didn't even vote. And Trump only got 47% of the vote of those that bothered to vote.