Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Not a good movie, skip unless you have to watch it.

I'd say that some of the actors were fine, but the acting was bad. To rephrase, they look the part, but can't play the part. The exceptions were Lust and perhaps Mustang. Some of the fault lies in the director/producer/whoever trying to recreate moments from the anime scene by scene, and it just does not look or sound good when transferred into live action. The best example is Winry seeing Edward for the first time - it's just bad (her scream, running, anger, conversation). Or Edward's running, it's just horrible, humans simply do not move like that, but that's because they decided to keep the oversized boots, coat and pants.

Moreover, the action style also suffered from a similar affliction; they tried to recreate the movements from the anime, where physics is mostly ignored, and that same style just looks bad (not just unrealistic) in a live action movie. The best example happened early on in the movie, when Edward is fighting with the priest, those jump attacks of his just looked ridiculous. It reminded me of the Final Fantasy games and their combat style (which looks like flashy/stylish shit).

The CGI was very uneven. Mustang's flame alchemy looked quite nice, but the stone walls/weapons/projectiles made by Ed/Al looked relatively bad. Although the transmutation effect itself looked nice. However, Alphonse's armour and the dummy homunculi looked, if not bad, at least not that good. The armour only looked good in a couple of scenes which happened in poorly lit areas. Oh, and the chimera looks very bad.

The sets also seemed kind of uneven; we'd see some decent looking buildings, both outside and inside, but then we'd get a look at the floor/road/path/whatever and it just differs from the rest of the set. Towards the end of the movie, as Lt. Hawkeye is running back towards Mustang, Al, Ed, Winry, we see her running on a gravel path with grass on the side - it looks very staged and unreal.

Music/sound was also uneven. But I'd give this a pass, since nothing really stuck out as bad, which I'd say is a positive thing at this moment.

To conclude, the movie feels as if made by a program that analysed the anime, noted some specific scenes, words and themes for their importance and then tried to assemble them into a live action movie, while ignoring proper setup, development and flow.

15+ Year Old Account
    Didnt go in with high hopes, so wasnt dissapointed.

That said. It was not a good movie, as you would expect from the Anime-to-Live action.(only a select few have managed to make good movies that way)

The story was rushed, but thats how it goes when you have try to cram in 20+hours of character building and story telling into a 2 hourish mess. They hit a few major plot points, but they didnt have the same impact as the anime had.

The casting was decent. I actually really liked the look of most of them(except Edwards hair), especially Hughes and Gluttony. Their acting though, not so much. Winry was overacting, Tucker just appeared mad instead of desperate, Edward not really hitting the mood even though he used the lines almost by the Anime. Positives though is Lust, Envy, Hawkeye and Nina.

The CGI was varying, it had some moments that where really good, like how they showed tranmutation of weapons and Mustangs fire. Other times it was glaring and taking it out of an already bad experience.

They are also missing the 3 best people in the FMA series(listed from 1 to 3): Armstrong, Greed, Mei

5+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, this is one of the very rare anime where European actors would fit the roles better than Japanese considering the world's history and cultures.

What would you call it, reverse white washing? haha. Joking.

The only decent live action anime/manga to film done was Rorouni Kenshin. That was as great as a live action could be.

I haven't watch the FMA live action yet but I'm honestly not that excited to. Between this Bleach and Naruto being Live action I'll happily watch a Blade of the immortal live action and sleep easier.
    "If you lose sight of something, the only person who can find it again is you"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aevari View Post
    Between this Bleach and Naruto being Live action I'll happily watch a Blade of the immortal live action and sleep easier.
    Did you saw the Blade of the immortal live action?
    It was decent. Not "good" but it was "ok"