Creating melee for 2's. Need a bit of help deciding.

Hey guys,

Highest rating in arena is 1750 so I'm kinda bad. I like having a crack at it though. I have never really tried a melee class. I have always been ranged. Just getting a bit bored of the whole "running away" and keeping distance feel of the gameplay. I want to wade in and swing something haha.
    I don't particularly like the idea of hitting and running like rogue or feral. I would love to just have the go toe to toe feel if that makes sense.
    I like the idea of either a pally or DK or DH.
    Which is easiest to master? What are pros and cons of either? I don't know a whole lot about them to be honest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skudz View Post
    Hey guys,

Highest rating in arena is 1750 so I'm kinda bad. I like having a crack at it though. I have never really tried a melee class. I have always been ranged. Just getting a bit bored of the whole "running away" and keeping distance feel of the gameplay. I want to wade in and swing something haha.
    I don't particularly like the idea of hitting and running like rogue or feral. I would love to just have the go toe to toe feel if that makes sense.
    Which is easiest to master? What are pros and cons of either? I don't know a whole lot about them to be honest. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Ret is pretty easy... But a good one will kite another melee to get away and heal to get the edge on his opponent.

Death Knight and Demon Hunter has no reason to kite since all their healing is from hitting their opponents. However your healer may ask you to pull back. Demon Hunter is pretty easy but has no real place in high rated arena.

Honestly right now is the time to get high rating. (Not crazy shit like 2800+ Its early and those ratings are hard to obtain after mmr resets). But getting a 2K achievement shouldn't be hard. Current state of 3s boils down to best burst unfortunately.

Well since you were talking about 2s, i would suggest WW/Feral those are just amazing, WW can stick to any healer and burst down, and feral multi bleeds + Moon Fire will rot the teams down. Out of the classes that you mentioned DK/Ret/DH i would suggest Dk and then Ret. DH's ST is kinda low to be a real threat for now, but in next patch Blizzard will significantly change/buff DH in pvp, which i believe will make them very good with short meta form + 10% dmg and mana burn. So in short, for now go FDK after patch i would suggest DH.

My main is Ret, Rets are good but most of the time, Rets are one of the biggest underdogs in pvp among dps classes, we are in a decent place right now, but you never know when a nerf bat will come down:P

I would suggest maybe ret, they can survive the burst a little better than DK. Maybe depends what your partner is playing.

WW all the way.

Added: saw your "I like the idea of either a pally or DK or DH" -- don't do DH, they might become better with time, but right now they aren't. I wouldn't do ret either, they are good now, but history shows that they are very hit and miss (more miss than hit) and even when they are good, their ceiling is lower than that of others (ie, even now when ret is good, it is generally less desirable than, say, enh). So, do DK. But if I were you, I'd do WW.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    My main is Ret, Rets are good but most of the time, Rets are one of the biggest underdogs in pvp among dps classes, we are in a decent place right now, but you never know when a nerf bat will come down:P
    ^^ Exactly this.
    Last edited by rda; 2016-11-23 at 07:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skudz View Post
    Hey guys,

Thanks
    toe-to-toe also eliminates WW ....

Arms if you always have a healer partner
    DK / Enh put out solid damage and go toe-toe same as DH ... i guess you should tell us about your partner?

Deleted
    WW and feral are the most broken in 2v2. Can't not reach 2k.

Quote Originally Posted by Vodakhun View Post
    WW and feral are the most broken in 2v2. Can't not reach 2k.
    Yup.

Some high MMR ferals:

#3 in 2v2 ladder on EU (2967): http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...opper/advanced
    #5 in 2v2 ladder on EU (2954): http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...dilli/advanced

Some high MMR WW:

#41 in 2v2 ladder on EU (2776): http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Feddx/advanced

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Yup.

Some high MMR ferals:

#3 in 2v2 ladder on EU (2967): http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...opper/advanced
    #5 in 2v2 ladder on EU (2954): http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...dilli/advanced

Some high MMR WW:

#41 in 2v2 ladder on EU (2776): http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Feddx/advanced
    I think he meant as in, it's impossible not to get 2k as those classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joee View Post
    I think he meant as in, it's impossible not to get 2k as those classes.
    Yes, I understand. I gave the links to encourage the OP if he decides to go WW / feral. I guess I should have been clearer that I meant no sarcasm.

Right now, in my opinion as an Unholy DK at 2.1k CR in 2s.

Rets - Seriously probably the most forgiving class to play in 2s. Nothing comes close. You will never be blown up, ever, and will always have time to recover. You can passively counter two strongish specs (Assas, Unholy and to a lesser extend Frost DK) and so many other annoying mechanics that basically makes them a very bad target to train.

Feral - Very strong but admittedly a little harder than ret. I am not talking about the damage rotation itself but rather the survival part of Feral druids as you can get blown up if you mess up. But the sustained pressure is slightly better than Ret and Incarnation is straight up annoyingly strong.

Monk - Less sustained damage than Ferals and Rets but probably the best burst in game where you will alwaaays get a defensive CD or land a kill. Squishy if try to go toe to toe with a lot of classes for prolonged duration but very annoying if you properly use your mobility tools.

Enhance - Almost same as Monk. Very High burst and Purge destroys a lot of classes but the mobility is somewhat lower.

Assasination - Strong but hard countered by Paladin teams. Strong against everything else yes even after the damage nerfs.

Frost DK - Stupidly high damage if you connect but this is not as easy the higher you go. As an Unholy DK, I have very little issues against Frost DK even around 2.1-2.2k rating.

Funny how all the healer hybrid classes are very strong in 2s. Imo with me as Unholy, the classes I feel completely and hopelessly outmatched going against are Ferals and Rets with Ferals being more annoying because there is no way you can peel one off and even if you do, their bleed ticks end up doing a lot of damage anyway.
    Last edited by GodEmperor; 2016-11-23 at 05:16 PM.

Lol I wouldn't call rets forgiving , did u face frost mage/disc as ret around 2.2/2.3 k cr, ret has to do perfect game in order to have a little chance to win

Deleted
    Go Ret decent for arena and great for all sorts of casual PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    Yup.

Some high MMR ferals:

Some high MMR WW:

why are they at 50-60% win/loss ratio in 2s/3s? i have a theory but I thought they fixed that.
    Last edited by Scooby Dooby Doo; 2016-11-24 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriat View Post
    why are they at 50-60% win/loss ratio in 2s/3s? i have a theory but I thought they fixed that.
    ??? You'd be at around 50% winrate at any rating. It's the nature of the rating system. The wins on the way to your rating - if it is high - disappear among even games.

Thank you everyone for the reply.

Lots to think about.
    I might trial a couple and see which one I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Snegovik View Post
    Biggest underdogs...? Rofl what.