Finally done with LoU2 after playing both back to back since I'm on vacation and it's quarantine.

To me it's a very good game and more so story. Felt more authentic and real than most stories told. Sure there are clichés such as the ending, but nothing to be outright pissed about. Characters were portrayed as real characters with both positives and negatives instead of just "hero" and "antagonist" as it tends to be.
    Joel to me were never a hero anyway, considering what he did at the ending of LoU. I completely understand why he did what he did, but I also understand why the fireflies wanted to do what they wanted to do.

Ultimately I think Joel did do the right choice, without knowing it, because as I remember (my memory tends to be shit though). Neither him nor fireflies asked Ellie what she wanted. I would assume that she would, especially after her comment in LoU2 in the flashback with Joel. However it's not something that's supposed to be assumed.
    With that said, I wouldn't even blame fireflies if Ellie said no and they would later try to subdue her with force and at that point it becomes a fight for survival.

The conflict in LoU2 is understandable due to the circumstances. I enjoyed that greatly. There are some gripes however.

First WTF moment were that Joel had no problems instantly helping a stranger(Abby) out in the woods. I don't deny that 4 years of passing and living in a more civilized town and environment doesn't make one more compassionate and more empathetic towards other humans. However it should be established that he have changed before that instead of in that moment when we already know Abby wants him dead. I'm not mad Joel died, even if a bit too early, but more so mainly due to lack of reasons why his character has changed drastically leading to his demise.
    This can be fixed with a small change however the entire story arc otherwise still remains intact, which is why I think it's minor.

Bit too much focus on Abby. Even if they showed both are driven by revenge Abby has a lot more positives going for her character development and I think most would love to see that for Ellie. But you don't really do that. It's just vague flashbacks that drives her to ignore her friends and lovers pleas until one last flashback at the end. Which is the cliché part. I don't mind making her story a story of a downward spiral into vengeance and hatred considering what Ellie has been through but her sudden change of heart and then just losing it all at the end anyway just felt kinda..eh. She probably went back to Jackson at the end, but I don't see how she can continue to live considering what she has lost. I'm pretty sure that it's a story about two people with thirst for vengeance and how one manage to let go and thus survive while someone having trouble letting go and thus fall. But in the end both let it go and yet only 1 fell as far as we know. Maybe it would be received better if it were the other way around?
    Dunno, I'm torn, but no game or story is flawless and I don't expect it to be either.

I'm glad however that story characters could die at any moment. Jessie and Manny for example. No BS monologue by some villain before killing the player characters friend or something. It felt real and showed how quick people can be gone in a world where gunfights occur often. It also made lots of confrontations more tense due to any character can just be gone at any moment. Hell, even Abby and Ellie I wasn't sure of who would come out alive at times.

Anyway, I don't really get the massive hate people have for the game. To me it's solid.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-07-09 at 12:28 PM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    So I tried this last night for the first time.

Are the controls and movement supposed to suck this hard? Like . . . . . this is GTA3 on original Xbox bad control, I'm actually shocked its this bad and clunky. Is this one of those stories over gameplay games like Witcher 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    So I tried this last night for the first time.

Are the controls and movement supposed to suck this hard? Like . . . . . this is GTA3 on original Xbox bad control, I'm actually shocked its this bad and clunky. Is this one of those stories over gameplay games like Witcher 3?
    This yeah. It's story > gameplay. The controls are made to make sure characters feel more natural which makes them feel clunky from a gameplay perspective. Sometimes getting around corners is a drag due to them having to do natural turns which makes you just fiddle around. This is one of the few games I would say you play for story and not for gameplay. It works much better as a full blown stealth game though if that helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    This yeah. It's story > gameplay. The controls are made to make sure characters feel more natural which makes them feel clunky from a gameplay perspective. Sometimes getting around corners is a drag due to them having to do natural turns which makes you just fiddle around. This is one of the few games I would say, play for story and not for gameplay. It works much better as a full blown stealth game though if that helps.
    Ok, I just wanted to make sure. I didnt want to spend hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong like in the Witcher 3, only to find out the combat just blows.

Should I play the first Last of Us game before this one? I'm thinking I should run through it first if its a story driven game.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Ok, I just wanted to make sure. I didnt want to spend hours trying to figure out what I was doing wrong like in the Witcher 3, only to find out the combat just blows.

Should I play the first Last of Us game before this one? I'm thinking I should run through it first if its a story driven game.
    I would say so yeah, they are heavily linked together. So for full picture and character development I would say so.
    I got the remastered version for 20€ on ps-store.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    I would say so yeah, they are heavily linked together. So for full picture and character development I would say so.
    I got the remastered version for 20€ on ps-store.
    Ok, Ill do that first. TLOU actually came with my PS4, but I didnt really play it because all my homies were on Destiny around that time.

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    Sure, but then again a non agressive horde by itself isn't dangerous either. The one we're talking about are in an agressive state, so there wouldn't be any "dormant" runners.

No, it point blank states that there are some that enter a non-agressive state. They become agressive in certain circumstances.

Also, they are very clearly an exception, since the general rule is "The resulting creatures are aggressive, and will attack any uninfected human on sight."

Not just on sound. "They will also become aggressive if a non-infected individual is extremely close in front of them."

The fact that sound takes them out of this state is not indicative that they are more reliant on it than vision, especially when we don't know the exact the details of why they enter that state. A loud sound is generally more alerting/aggravating than movement, especially movement that's not nearby, for anyone with normal sight and hearing.

Sound does not always set them into an aggressive state, as they don't react to many of the sounds other infected make, including from walking/running which is indistinguishable from a normal human. It's only loud sounds, which is also true for human opponents.

And it's not that sight will only sometimes triggers it, it's that there are different types of sight triggers and some they don't react to, such as moving lights.
    Listen, I am done. If you are still refusing to look at all the facts, I can't help you. There is no reason to talk to someone who is going 2 + 2 equals anything other than 4. Everything is there to support eye sight is NOT significant to the horde or runners and there is tons of evidence being sound appears to nearly always set off the aggressive state while sight only sometimes does it. I don't know what more you would need.

There is no reason for infected to get set off by infected, and when they are non aggressive they aren't moving and when they are moving, they tend to almost all move. So the idea sound from other infected would set it off is nonsense. The aggressive state is clearly meant to be a manner that the disease spreads to other non-infected.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Listen, I am done. If you are still refusing to look at all the facts, I can't help you. There is no reason to talk to someone who is going 2 + 2 equals anything other than 4. Everything is there to support eye sight is NOT significant to the horde or runners and there is tons of evidence being sound appears to nearly always set off the aggressive state while sight only sometimes does it. I don't know what more you would need.

There is no reason for infected to get set off by infected, and when they are non aggressive they aren't moving and when they are moving, they tend to almost all move. So the idea sound from other infected would set it off is nonsense. The aggressive state is clearly meant to be a manner that the disease spreads to other non-infected.
    I'm not refusing to look at the facts, I'm refusing to limit myself to only looking at some facts and to take the exception as the rule. The majority of Runners will attack on sight, even if you're not making any noise. This is supported both by the wiki and gameplay. The fact that there are exceptions does not deny the general rule. It would be like saying that "humans don't rely on sight" because some humans are blind.
    Last edited by Kolvarg; 2020-07-09 at 02:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kolvarg View Post
    I'm not refusing to look at the facts, I'm refusing to limit myself to only looking at some facts and to take the exception as the rule. The majority of Runners will attack on sight, even if you're not making any noise. This is supported both by the wiki and gameplay. The fact that there are exceptions does not deny the general rule. It would be like saying that "humans don't rely on sight" because some humans are blind.
    Dude, I am done. You aren't reading your own source. I am done. You can't even remotely be honest here at this point.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Still wondering how the American sales will be. 80٪ drop on u.k sales charts. 85٪ on Japan (box sales). Wonder if it'll be the same here? Surpised to see braverly second at 2nd place for the switch. Welp i know what I'll get. I just want to hear edea say mrrgrrgrr. That and rune factory 4.
    Breaks a record for most sales in 4 days.

Who would guess it would drop off from there in the following weeks.

I hope stats isn't a part of your job

Still wondering how the American sales will be. 80٪ drop on u.k sales charts. 85٪ on Japan (box sales). Wonder if it'll be the same here? Surpised to see braverly second at 2nd place for the switch. Welp i know what I'll get. I just want to hear edea say mrrgrrgrr. That and rune factory 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    https://blog.playstation.com/2020/07...mpression=true

Get woke, go broke. Remember when the guy said UK sales didn't count cause they where physical only? Apparently digital consumers didn't get your memo either.
    I don't think Sony is crying about US sales.

Bravely Second was at 2nd because it was being sold for 3 bucks on clearance by the largest game retailer in the UK. It also isn't a switch game, it's a 3DS game.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Breaks a record for most sales in 4 days.

Who would guess it would drop off from there in the following weeks.

I hope stats isn't a part of your job
    It's funny how massive first week sales are pretty much always followed by a drop off of on average between 70-90% after a week. Yet somehow it's only news when the internet has an axe to grind.

I know it's a 3ds game.
    Surpised to see braverly second at 2nd place for the switch.
    Oh sorry I missed the part where saying it was a switch game implied you knew it was a 3DS game.

You clearly thought it was Bravely Default 2, which is a Switch game and not released.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    It's funny how massive first week sales are pretty much always followed by a drop off of on average between 70-90% after a week. Yet somehow it's only news when the internet has an axe to grind.
    Hell we already know from stats that it has sold at least another million since Sony announced the 4 mil to since it's sitting at 5 million players with a trophy earned. That doesn't even account for people that play it without being connected to the internet for trophies to register or people who have bought it but not played it yet.

Its a bore at this point. They keep moving the goal posts so they can claim its a failure.

Truth is there hate wagon probably did cost them some sales. Like naughty dog had the audancity to try something different for its follow up and not be a complete carbon copy of the first game so it deserves to be punished by the outrage mob!

Thankfully in the bigger picture sane people don't give them a second thought and the game was a success and was about what I expected it to be and delivered on my expectations and had a blast playing it

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Funny Animal Crossing New Horizons first two weeks on the market were massively more successful. In the first 11 days Nintendo moved almost 12 million copies of the game. It also helps when the game has market appeal to a diverse audience of gamer's, while people like Druckmann can only preach diversity in gaming without understanding how to have a diverse player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Funny Animal Crossing New Horizons first two weeks on the market were massively more successful. In the first 11 days Nintendo moved almost 12 million copies of the game. It also helps when the game has market appeal to a diverse audience of gamer's, while people like Druckmann can only preach diversity in gaming without understanding how to have a diverse player base.
    Imagine comparing Nintendo to the rest of the industry.

Hell imagine comparing AC a game literally made for everyone from 5 year old kids to 90 year old grandmas to TLOU2.

Holy shit I can't even with this post.

AAA single player games always have extremely front loaded sales and pick up the rest over long periods of time and sales. Go tell me about how Astral Chain's first week drop was, or Fire Emblem Three Houses or either Xenoblade release on the Switch and come talk to me again. Hell better yet let me know what the drop off for RE3 and FF7R where if we want to talk about recent releases and PS4 only numbers.

Then again this is a guy who thinks Mario & Luigi is still an active Nintendo IP when the studio who made it closed down, your industry knowledge is severely lacking to say the least and you should stop trying to give your commentary on it.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-07-09 at 11:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Imagine comparing Nintendo to the rest of the industry.

Hell imagine comparing AC a game literally made for everyone from 5 year old kids to 90 year old grandmas to TLOU2.

Holy shit I can't even with this post.

AAA single player games always have extremely front loaded sales and pick up the rest over long periods of time and sales. Go tell me about how Astral Chain's first week drop was, or Fire Emblem Three Houses or either Xenoblade release on the Switch and come talk to me again. Hell better yet let me know what the drop off for RE3 and FF7R where if we want to talk about recent releases and PS4 only numbers.

Then again this is a guy who thinks Mario & Luigi is still an active Nintendo IP when the studio who made it closed down, your industry knowledge is severely lacking to say the least and you should stop trying to give your commentary on it.
    80% drop is highly unusual for a Triple A title. It is typically between 40 to 60% with 60% being considered not good. I got a new copy days after release, before the store would have had another shipment, that personally never happened to me with other Triple A titles I didn't preorder. I know that doesn't mean anything, I am bring it up as an observation.

Funny you picked Astral chain, I just googled it and apparently it sold better than expected according to his devs.

Also, if you can only compare games you feel are close enough then you don't understand the purpose of using percentages. If a R rate movie has 80% drop in Ticket sales vs a G movie only have 40% ... it is safer to say consumers want the G rather movie more. Percentages even out the audience sizes, and yes we can expect certain movies and games to have a larger drop week to week than others. However, TLoU2 is UNUSUALLY front loaded. It beat the previous drop record of 79% by Uncharted 4 ... again, highest drop percentage wise for a major game in the UK. Pretending that means nothing is dishonest. Could people be reading too far into it? Absolutely.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    80% drop is highly unusual for a Triple A title. It is typically between 40 to 60% with 60% being considered not good. I got a new copy days after release, before the store would have had another shipment, that personally never happened to me with other Triple A titles I didn't preorder. I know that doesn't mean anything, I am bring it up as an observation.

Funny you picked Astral chain, I just googled it and apparently it sold better than expected according to his devs.

Also, if you can only compare games you feel are close enough then you don't understand the purpose of using percentages. If a R rate movie has 80% drop in Ticket sales vs a G movie only have 40% ... it is safer to say consumers want the G rather movie more. Percentages even out the audience sizes, and yes we can expect certain movies and games to have a larger drop week to week than others. However, TLoU2 is UNUSUALLY front loaded. It beat the previous drop record of 79% by Uncharted 4 ... again, highest drop percentage wise for a major game in the UK. Pretending that means nothing is dishonest. Could people be reading too far into it? Absolutely.
    Its impossible that people who were invested in the story pre ordered and the people not so invested will wait for it to go on sale or go into classic mode with potential updates and buy the final version dirt cheap like most successful console exclusives?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Its impossible that people who were invested in the story pre ordered and the people not so invested will wait for it to go on sale or go into classic mode with potential updates and buy the final version dirt cheap like most successful console exclusives?
    I have that guy on ignore but it seems pretty weird that he is saying an 80% drop is unusual without acknowledging the game sold unusually well in it's first week. The people that wanted it physically got it, and the people that didn't are staying home cause of rona' ain't really nothing to read into there. Just some conspiracy theory goal post shift when we already know the game sold at minimum another 1+ mil since Sony announced the 4 mil. Game will keep selling low and steady for a long time just like God of War, just like Spider-Man, just like Uncharted 4 expecting otherwise would be quite foolish on his part(but then again thinking this game was gonna bomb was already foolish to begin with). I'm sure he'll reply with something like "GoW and SM had a lower drop" without acknowledging TLOU2 absolutely destroyed both in the first week.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2020-07-10 at 06:54 AM.