The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Rey's also a pretty good swimmer for living her whole life on a desert planet.
    This is legit the biggest problem I have with Rey.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Rewatched the deleted scene @Altrec. Biggs was on leave from the Imperial Acadmey... So, yeah, get over it.

Oh, an Luke was shocked to learn that Biggs was going to jump ship and join the Alliance.
    Unless we watched different deleted scenes he still says academy not imperial academy. Luke seemed more excited than surprised Biggs was joining up with the alliance, and Biggs right after that says that this is what they(Luke and him) had always planned. Both he and Luke mention wanting to avoid getting drafted by the empire, and Biggs talks about fighting for the side he believes in. Why care about getting drafted if you are just going to join up anyway and leave? There is a reason these scenes are all deleted.

Deleted
    Which is incorrect, as per the StarWars.com page I linked. Biggs joined the Empire before ditching it for the rebels.
    Luke’s plan was the same.
    "I can't get involved. There's nothing I can do about it right now. It's such a long way from here.". Doesn't quite sound like someone who's decided to join the rebellion either. Those lines are said in reply to an offer to in effect do so, even.

Lukes page on starwars.com doesn't say anything about a plan like that either so I guess that settles that.

Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    Of the things Disney now considers canon it is only the movies, Rebels tv series, The Clone Wars tv series, and future books. So unless you have a specific reference from one of those where Luke and/or Biggs specifically mention the imperial academy and defecting from the empire to join the rebellion I'm not going to be convinced. It isn't my fan fic any more than it is Disney's fan fic as they are the ones that dictate what is and isn't canon. I can't help it that they put things on starwars.com that don't align with what they say is canon which is why I don't give a crap about the website.
    That website is literally run by Lucasfilm. Everything on it is necessarily canon.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    The ships were quite a distance from each other and the planet farther still. The first order was so confident it had the resistance on its last legs it didnt bother. Over confidence is one of the themes this movie portrays very well. And each overconfident character fails. Hux, Snoke, the first order, Poe.
    I would argue that all of the males in the movie failed.

it wasnt just sensing when to pull the trigger it was also aiming he had no targeting computer. And its not more believable. Its supposed to be unbelievable. Thats the whole point of the force. Its unbelievable till you see it.

WOW you people really are the ones who dont get star wars.

The point of the force is that your able to do unbelievable things. Not believable ones. Remeber what luke tells obi wan. Thats impossible, he tells yoda the same thing.
    Believable in terms of the force not believable as in what is realistic. Even if you add aiming into the mix it was still just sensing when and where to fire. Sensing is precisely what he had been trained in to that point. Sensing is pretty much the basics of the force. Search your feelings and all that. Same when Luke had Rey feel the force etc.. Rey skipped all the basics and went straight to advanced techniques without training which is why people give that character more grief than what Luke received.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimDesign View Post
    I would argue that all of the males in the movie failed.
    Overconfidence and the resulting failure is a major theme in this movie, regardless of what gender the character is.

Finn fails to escape. Finn and Rose fail to get the correct code breaker. They fail time and again, and nearly die. Only BB-8 bails their asses out. Twice.

Poe fails to actually destroy the First Order dreadnought without getting everyone killed. Poe's plan (that Finn and Rose get sent on) fails. Poe fails to destroy the cannon.

Rose fails (detailed above).

Leia fails to keep hope alive in the Resistance, as does Holdo. Holdo also fails to save the resistance, because we literally are forced to sit and watch as hundreds of people are killed.

Rey fails, in almost literally the same way Luke did in ESB. She also fails to turn Kylo Ren from the darkness.

And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    That website is literally run by Lucasfilm. Everything on it is necessarily canon.
    Yes, I know, but it isn't part of what Disney says is canon(it really should be), and contains bits of information that were never mentioned in the sources they say are canon.

That being said the academy Luke mentions being the imperial academy or not was irrelevant to my point which was that Luke wasn't planning on joining the empire. Use the academy to get off world sure, but he clearly had no love for the empire.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only one who wants them to make some kind of new old republic with rey and kylo? Make it so the galaxy has two big waring factions and a ton of Jedi and sith would be really nice.

With the hate from fans watch luke come back in 9 and say it was the force that he died but was actually in the falcons smuggler bay the entire time!
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

This guy gets it. These are the same thoughts I have been expressing about this film. This film has sooo much to it and people are just not seeing it because they want to hate the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    With the hate from fans watch luke come back in 9 and say it was the force that he died but was actually in the falcons smuggler bay the entire time!
    Its really weird how people are upset that Luke died when we all know theres a 99% chance he comes back in the next film as a force ghost.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2017-12-19 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    She witholds her plan from those on the bottom of the chain of command. Especially to someone that was demoted because reckless actions.

It was Poe's plan that led to the discovery of Holdor's plan. If he accepted the orders, respected the chain of command and not organized a mutiny, people would still be alive.
    Yeah totally this and it's one of my favorite things about this movie. It's such an overdone trope that the reckless Han Solo guy ends up saving the day, when in reality, it's actually the disciplined and reasonable who succeed. The reckless guy can be right from time to time, but its usually a matter of luck and not strategic genius.

However I also like that Leia knows when his recklessness and passion are useful, but it has to first check out with her larger strategy. Sometimes the guy who wants to "just go blow things up" is the right tool for the job.

As a stand alone film, I can't say this movie was all that great, but as a section of a larger story, I enjoyed the surprises.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    I still don't buy it, the FO was allowed to work completely unhindered for 30 years? The republic build zero star ships to combat the FO?
    Yes and yes. That's why Leia built the Resistance, because the Republic fell into "we are not going to be the Empire again" anti-militarism plus corruption.

You are adorable. Keep trying, one day your fanfiction will be reality. Oh, and all the new books are considered canon by Disney.
    I'm not the one making shit up, and I already said the new books are considered canon. Try keeping up with the conversation.

You are adorable. Keep trying, one day your fanfiction will be reality. Oh, and all the new books are considered canon by Disney.
    This is what some people don't get, I think. Everything pre-Disney except the films, Rebels, and Clone Wars was thrown out of canon at the time of the takeover. But literally everything produced after that date is ALL canon. It's not restricted to just what STAYED canon. Just because it's on the website and not in a film doesn't make it not canon; it was written after 2012, so it's canon.

The Luke we used to know, I believe would have realized his responsibility he had when he set a temperamental child who has the Force to use loose upon the galaxy. But here, we have him turning his back on that responsibility.

- - - Updated - - -

After this joke of a movie, I suspect we're going to get a lot more fan-fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    Overconfidence and the resulting failure is a major theme in this movie, regardless of what gender the character is.
    Hell the only person who didn't fail was DJ. Dude got paid. He got what he came for.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The Luke we used to know, I believe would have realized his responsibility he had when he set a temperamental child who has the Force to use loose upon the galaxy. But here, we have him turning his back on that responsibility.

- - - Updated - - -

After this joke of a movie, I suspect we're going to get a lot more fan-fiction.
    What are you talking about? The "Luke we know" shirked his responsibility to learn the ways of the Force to fail to save his friends on Bespin. The "Luke we know" shirked his responsibility to help ensure the second Death Star's shield generating station was destroyed in order to try and save his father from the Dark Side.

I mean, yea I guess that worked out for him, but it was more luck than good management.

Why does every character in this movie FAIL so hard at almost everything?

Poe: Gets his bombers killed. Plan to remove tracker fails. Gets demoted.
    Finn & Rose: Entire mission in Canto Blight fails. Plan to remove tracker fails.
    Rey: Fails to convince Luke to join her. Fails to convince Kylo to join her.
    Kylo: Takes over the First Order [omg a success]. Fails to convince Rey to join him. Fails to kill the Resistance.
    Leia & Holdo: Plan to escape on transports fails; most people killed. Suicide by lightspeed [success??].
    Luke: Fails to train Rey or keep her from going into a trap. Fails to catch the tree on fire. Fails to kill Kylo in a flashback, and fails to keep his trainees/temple. Fails to do anything worthwhile in a hologram fight with Kylo. Dies [wut?].
    Ackbar: Does nothing; then dies.
    Snoke: Does nothing; then dies.
    Hux: Gets trolled most of the film. Fails to take over First Order from Kylo.

I mean seriously the only real success in there is Kylo's half-baked last-minute plan to take over the First Order from Snoke, and even that is completely unbelievable because 1) Snoke can't possibly be that stupid and 2) No military would accept this 30 year old twerp as their supreme leader.

It's fine when characters fail their plans; diversions are what make movies entertaining. But damn, how you just have everyone fail at everything? It makes the story arc pointless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Hell the only person who didn't fail was DJ. Dude got paid. He got what he came for.
    Haha. Yeah, I guess you right. DJ was successful. The only person in the film.

Was watching the John Campea show and he just made a great point for all you Rey haters. Why are people mad that Rey is so quick to learn the force and weild it pretty well with no training and they are not mad at Luke who after spending 1 hyperspace jump with Obi-wan was able to so attune to the force that he was able to hit a mathematically impossible shot that even a targeting computer could not hit?

Its like i have been saying. People are giving a pass to the original trilogy and not giving a pass to the new trilogy. The emperor/snoke both had very little backstory b4 they were killed. Both were killed by their apprentice who they both thought could not be turned. Both went down easy one cut in half and the other thrown down a shaft and yet people love the emperor and hate snoke. Why? Ask yourself Why you give one a pass and not the other. Then ask that same question about every problem you have with the new trilogy. Why am i hating the new stuff so much yet when its a parallel of the old stuff i love i treat both differently. Why am I such a hypocrite is what you people should be asking yourself.
    What a bunch of crap. The death star shot is not impossible. Luke himself stated IN THE MOVIE that he could do it. Obi Wan's force ghost aided Luke to use the Force and successfully make that shot in an incredibly stressful situation.

Luke's growth into a Jedi is not even remotely comparable to Rey's magical force prowess.

Luke's growth into a Jedi spanned 3 movies. He got guidance from Obi Wan on the Millennium Falcon en route to the Death Star. He got aid and guidance from Obi Wan's force ghost. Then we have a time skip between movies where he can supposedly practice more Force stuff. In Ep5, hHe had to struggle multiple times before he could successfully Force pull his lightsaber in the Ice Cave. Luke then got training from Yoda. We get another time skip between movies where Luke completes his training and his lightsaber. Finally we see Luke use the Jedi mind trick.

On the other hand we have Rey, no idea what the Force is. Doesn't have any Force ghost to guide her. Magically knows how to do the Jedi mind trick. Can Force pull better than Kylo Ren.

Don't drag the original trilogy down to the level of sequels to justify your terrible argument.