To people saying Luke should have appeared in person at the end, remember what was the first thing Kylo did after he saw him?

Yeah, talk about anticlimatic death.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    Luke didnt beat vader by giving in to the dark side. He actually convinced vader to join the light side again and thats what ended the original movies with vader taking out the emperor.

At no point ever have we been told what makes a real jedi. There is no evidence supporting your claim that you need to read specific texts to be a real jedi.

The rest is just mindless tween gibberish. Get over yourself. How old are you?
    i'm not talking about vader betraying the emperor. he gives into the dark side when goaded by vader but doesn't go though with turning to it after cutting of vaders hand and seeing that they are the same.

and yes we do know what makes a jedi though it might not be stated flat out in the movies from all the cannon sources you can get a pretty solid idea what being a jedi is about and why they train from children and why anikan being older then the norm was a problem. luke isn't a jedi he barely knows yet alone follows any of the jedi ways and doesn't have the discipline a real jedi would. hes a powerful force user but is no jedi.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2017-12-25 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    If someone makes a statement they dont really believe in they will claim other people are on their side of the argument as if that in itself is an argument.

The problem with this logic is that most people are stupid, so even if the claim is true, it doesnt really further your argument
    Do they hand out sophistry at a chistmas aftersale somwhere?

I figured phrasing it like that made sense given the context of tons "evil mesoggineezts" saying that the character of luke was butchered in the movie and this meme picture making a clear reference to that. I'm honestly sorry that I didn't phrase it more eloquently, I went for engineering after school, not the english major - I guess that just bit me in the ass there..

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Okay after finally looking how others see this movie It's clear people either think this movie was a master piece or a dumpster fire. But does anyone else beside me just think it was okay.?

I personally gave it a 6/10 review which was above average for me, I left feeling pretty happy but unlike most people I didn't see it as a bad movie, but also like others I didn't see it as a grand piece of cinema either...

I find it funny that people have two massive extremes to this movie and yet I am in the minority who thinks its just 'okay' :P
    I liked the movie a lot, but I can see that it has a bunch of imperfections and several things that could turn people off if they'd gone into the film wanting something different. It's really weird to see people getting so polarised over it it though, I agree. Like, it's a dumb fantasy adventure movie about space wizards, not a general election.

As someone who loves good performances, strong visual direction, and surprising narratives, The Last Jedi was right up my alley, but I'd never consider it (or any Star Wars movie, aside from maybe Empire) a grand work of cinema.

It was a fun movie. I feel like people are trying to hold it up to some weird high measure as if any of the movies were anything but fun space adventure. It had some epic sequences. The story ... existed. My only complaint is that like the previous one, they crammed too much in to one movie. They could have spread it out a bit. The last battle sequence could have been at the start of a new movie.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    The difference being that the jedi were decimated at the end of the ep.3 and the empire had flat out won. They were in exile, all 2 of them that were left. Luke went into exile, after the Rebells clearly won at the end of ep. 6 and he got plot holed into fucking up his jedi school - which is what actually pisses people off. But a cowardly traitor like Genn Greymane would obviously not get that :P.
    Luke went into exile because he failed to restart the Jedi Order. Which isn't that hard to grasp, he was barely trained by a dying Yoda, knew nothing about the Order itself, had no teachings or help and there is a reason why the Jedi never trained anyone but younglings.

So, yes, Luke saw that a way to bring balance to the Force was to end up with the "failed" Jedi Light-side ideals. He tried to do everything at once, training padawans and being a lore-keeper (lore that survived the Empire's search and destruction). But not even the best Jedi Masters did everything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I figured phrasing it like that made sense given the context of tons "evil mesoggineezts" saying that the character of luke was butchered in the movie and this meme picture making a clear reference to that. I'm honestly sorry that I didn't phrase it more eloquently, I went for engineering after school, not the english major - I guess that just bit me in the ass there..
    I'm trying to figure how Luke's character was butchered when his own Masters failed in the past also.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2017-12-25 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/26001253_857018487811863_8504562656850674891_n.jpg?oh=87a7aab285b1363b11237eeaa3b2c43c&oe= 5AC82C69
    In Disney canon, Obi-wan is on tatooine specifically to watch over Luke because he believes Luke is the chosen one. Its not really running away, its having a plan and patiently carrying it out. Yoda is biding his time as well. I mean nice try and all but Mark Hamill is 100% right here.

Finally saw it.

It was good but not great.

Biggest three things that brought it down for me:

1 - Too long/too many endings. The movie felt like it had about 3 different points it could have ended other than when it actually did, which would have made for a stronger movie.

2 - Aren't we past the need for nods to the original trilogy? Too many things that felt like hitting the same beats that we've already seen, which took me out of the movie.

3 - Poe, 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    Luke went into exile because he failed to restart the Jedi Order. Which isn't that hard to grasp, he was barely trained by a dying Yoda, knew nothing about the Order itself, had no teachings or help and there is a reason why the Jedi never trained anyone but younglings.

So, yes, Luke saw that a way to bring balance to the Force was to end up with the "failed" Jedi Light-side ideals. He tried to do everything at once, training padawans and being a lore-keeper (lore that survived the Empire's search and destruction). But not even the best Jedi Masters did everything.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to figure how Luke's character was butchered when his own Masters failed in the past also.
    Handy how force ghosts only show up to burn trees these days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I liked the movie a lot, but I can see that it has a bunch of imperfections and several things that could turn people off if they'd gone into the film wanting something different. It's really weird to see people getting so polarised over it it though, I agree. Like, it's a dumb fantasy adventure movie about space wizards, not a general election.

As someone who loves good performances, strong visual direction, and surprising narratives, The Last Jedi was right up my alley, but I'd never consider it (or any Star Wars movie, aside from maybe Empire) a grand work of cinema.
    Exactly. I hear a lot of people hating on this movie like its the worst thing ever... I mean its not great but it's most certainly not awful

I pretty much went in knowing what to expect and came out expecting what I got. I agree the are quite a few issues with the movie, but people claiming its the best Star Wars movie? I mean really? I mean it's their opinion, but I thought Rogue One was better personally. And its also no where near a franchise killer either, the money it's making I am sure it'll live. :P

On a side note....

The true test to the movie is 'time'. Remember when Phantom Menace came out I remember a lot of people defending that movie to the death on message boards. But even those defenders can look back on that movie now and say "my god it really was pretty bad". I even had a friend who at the time said Phantom Menace was better than the orional movies, yes he said it but he will deny he even said that today. Not saying this new Star wars movie was as bad as Phantom Menace thats crazy, but the point I am trying to make is, let's see how this movie stands the test of time. Opinions can change a lot over time.

It can also work the other way. Ghostbusters 2, and Home Alone 2 were slated by critics and fans at the time calling them a rinse and repeat of the original, but over time they have become just as loved as their original movies.

So yeah. Time can do wonders. So I am really interested to see how these new star Wars sequels will hold up, in say, 15 years time. Especially from someone like me, who is totally on the fence and neutral towards these movies :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Obi-Wan - Hides out on Tatooine after the complete collapse of the Jedi Order and the end of the Old Republic he had sworn to protect to watch over Luke waiting for the opportunity/time to teach him

Yoda - Hides out on Dagobah after the complete collapse of the Jedi Order and the end of the Old Republic he had sworn to protect, continues to monitor Luke and Leia through the force.

Luke - Hides out on Ahch-To after turning Ben, doing nothing to stop him or protect the New Republic from him/first order. Cuts himself off from the Force and waits to die.

2 Jedi Masters watched the universe burn down around them and didn't give up hope. 1 Jedi Master gave up hope when his house caught fire. They really aren't similar.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Obi-Wan - Hides out on Tatooine after the complete collapse of the Jedi Order and the end of the Old Republic he had sworn to protect to watch over Luke waiting for the opportunity/time to teach him

Yoda - Hides out on Dagobah after the complete collapse of the Jedi Order and the end of the Old Republic he had sworn to protect, continues to monitor Luke and Leia through the force.

Luke - Hides out on Ahch-To after turning Ben, doing nothing to stop him or protect the New Republic from him/first order. Cuts himself off from the Force and waits to die.

2 Jedi Masters watched the universe burn down around them and didn't give up hope. 1 Jedi Master gave up hope when his house caught fire. They really aren't similar.
    The difference is Yoda and Obi-wan had Luke and Leia as "hope", while Luke lost all padawans.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    In Disney canon, Obi-wan is on tatooine specifically to watch over Luke because he believes Luke is the chosen one. Its not really running away, its having a plan and patiently carrying it out. Yoda is biding his time as well. I mean nice try and all but Mark Hamill is 100% right here.
    ya that's bull. no one knew luke was on tatooine and no one knew who luke even was. obi-wan had no reason to sit on a crappy planet doing nothing for 20 years and he doesn't even reach out to luke. same thing with yoda there is no feasible reason why he would sit on a swamp instead of doing something useful with his time.

either obi-wan or yoda could have helped in a ton of different ways while the empire built up there forces instead they sat having pity party's because they failed instead of helping the probably million's of people who could have used jedi.

- - - Updated - - -

luke isn't a real jedi master and they clearly did give up hope as they do nothing to stop the empire or help any one until luke goes to them. either obi-wan or yoda could have helped the lesser jedi or padawans who were being hunted by the empire/vader instead they sat around doing nothing and let the jedi be wiped from the galaxy.

Marginally entertaining movie with some very glaring plot holes and cheesy lines. 5.5-6 out of 10.
    Waste not, want not.

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    In fact, one of its many, many low points. There are apparently people who think the EU consisted of the Thrawn Trilogy and that's it. No Courtship of Princess Leia, no Children of the Jedi, no Darksaber, no Crystal Star, etc. There was an awful lot of manifestly terrible shit in the old C-Canon, beginning with the legendarily atrocious Star Wars Holiday Special.

I mean I liked the Clone Wars series, but after I learned that Dave Filoni wanted to eventually bring in the Yuuzhan Vong of all fucking things I was kinda relieved it was cancelled.
    I kinda liked Courtship of Princess Leia :P

Kevin J. Anderson was a hack though. And the Vong is when I finally quit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account

Actually Luke saw himself as protecting the galaxy from move OP dark side users because thats all the order had accomplished in last 100 years. His fallacy was not trying to come up with an alternative solution but his head was in a somewhat (albeit shortsighted) logical place.

And the time span between Yoda and Obi hiding and Lukes exile are about the same. Actually you could say that Yoda and Obi sat ideally longer as the First Order had only just became a major threat. Yoda and Obi ushered in the Empire and then sat on their hands for ~30 years. Hell, Luke had to go find Yoda.

edit: And then they knew Luke was going to have trouble training knew padawans and they told him NOTHING! They made Vader and didn't even go to Luke, "hey, your nephew might be insane".
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-12-26 at 02:35 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    The difference is Yoda and Obi-wan had Luke and Leia as "hope", while Luke lost all padawans.
    Luke still had a chance to turn Ben back to the light, Luke still had a hope of future Padawans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Even looking at the original Star Wars in a vacuum Obi-Wan was clearly there waiting for Luke to be ready. The second the message from Bail is relayed to him he's all "Ok here's your dads laser sword, he was actually a pretty awesome warrior and my BFF, we're going to Alderaan."

- - - Updated - - -

Luke still had a chance to turn Ben back to the light, Luke still had a hope of future Padawans.
    Which only happened because Luke did something he would never do, the story is flawed to its foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    I had actually forgotten all about that because it was followed up by a spaceship dropping freefall bombs onto another spaceship, in space lol.
    You realize that there is a shit ton of gravity in space right? Its what keeps all the planets going circles around the sun. As someone pointed out.... gravity on the ship...inertia keeps them "falling" hell they could have been pushed out anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    You realize that there is a shit ton of gravity in space right? Its what keeps all the planets going circles around the sun. As someone pointed out.... gravity on the ship...inertia keeps them "falling" hell they could have been pushed out anyway.....
    Which is all irrelevant because they're not gravity bombs in the first place, the bomber is basically a rail gun, just a very low velocity one.

However if they were gravity bombs it would have been an awful delivery mechanism, the bombs in the higher racks would achieve a higher velocity than the ones in the lower racks, resulting in them colliding once they enter zero-g, and bombing the bomber.
    Last edited by Aurrora; 2017-12-26 at 06:08 AM.