Poe called the big dreadnought a 'fleet-killer', and it was targeting the rebels flagship before it got blown up overdramaticaly by the last dying bomber.
    Unlike the (turbo)lasers from Snokes ship their main cannon would have punched through the shilds and taken them down.
    Hell, why did the FO not simply order a few of the accompanying Star Destroyers to jump ahead and cut the Rebels off? This part (18h long car chase) of the plot makes no sense whatsoever even by SW standards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I'm fine with a mafia. Of course, the mafia families often worked with independent third parties in order to maintain relations.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiro Tagachi View Post
    Yeah, about 3 formulaic superhero comedies a year, a live action remake a year, and more formulaic SW filled with comedy a year.
    This is just willful ignorance. Spend mere moments of your time to understand the two following statements:

* Disney has multiple production studios. Out of them, the ones that get their films "Disneyfied", are the ones with Disney in the name of the production studio (I believe we can put Pixar in this bucket as well, for argument's sake)
    * Neither Marvel movies or SW movies start with the magic castle Disney logo, therefore it is plain as day fact that they are not part of any of these

I assure you that as a former comic-book reader, Marvel got heavily Disneyfied.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    Poe called the big dreadnought a 'fleet-killer', and it was targeting the rebels flagship before it got blown up overdramaticaly by the last dying bomber.
    Unlike the (turbo)lasers from Snokes ship their main cannon would have punched through the shilds and taken them down.
    Hell, why did the FO not simply order a few of the accompanying Star Destroyers to jump ahead and cut the Rebels off? This part (18h long car chase) of the plot makes no sense whatsoever even by SW standards.
    Because once again (as show in almost every SW movie) the Empire is incompetent and stupid. But TFA and TLJ take it too a different level! You would think they would learn from their mistakes, but their stupidity is required to move the story forward.

-NO shields on the Dreadnought? Oh because we suck at telling a plot and need this shit to blow up for the audience with just a handful of bombs...
    -Cant flank the Rebel Cruisers? Because the empire wants them too die slowly because that makes them more evil!
    -Fuel!? Some what invented in this movie. Ships in SW can fly for half a million light years before refueling with whatever magic they require; but for some reason they had to invent a new plot element to keep the bad story going.
    -Dim witted Hux is out smarted by the clever Poe like a looney toons cartoon!

Quote Originally Posted by segara82 View Post
    Because this movie's base plot is driven by the fact that everybody's an idiot, especially 1st odor because they're strait white male nazis.

So let me sum it up:
    Luke did nothing besides projecting an illusion and dieing the death
    Emo Ren and Mary Rey did nothing besides being Chatty Cathy telepathically and murderieing an old man with his bodyguards
    Did I miss anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Storm the Sorrow View Post
    So let me sum it up:
    Luke did nothing besides projecting an illusion and dieing the death
    Emo Ren and Mary Rey did nothing besides being Chatty Cathy telepathically and murderieing an old man with his bodyguards
    Did I miss anything?
    That is pretty much the whole movie.

I know its fun to simplify the plot into tiny bit sized sentences for LoLeffect but plots in giant blockbusters that air on the side of a simpler layout to let the action flow work better than when theres too much service to everything going on and you get bogged down in clusterfucks like the amazing spider man 2

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    What's driven merchandising is largely toy sales, for Star Wars, not merch for superfans.

As for the numbers;
    Worldwide revenue for Age of Ultron: $1,405,403,694
    Worldwide revenue for The Last Jedi: $1,311,887,624

Not QUITE there, but also still in theaters. Age of Ultron was in theaters for 23 weeks, The Last Jedi only 6 since release. TLJ also had a bigger opening weekend, for what that's worth.
    I'd be really surprised if TLJ makes up the last 100 million while it's in theaters. It made about 6M the last week, and that number's only going downward. Also backing up your point, TLJ had a huge opening weekend. It opened almost at strong as Force Awakens. The problem wasn't opening. That's the only reason it's doing as well as it is. The problem was after everyone saw it after that first weekend, the numbers quickly shifted from "Force Awakens" numbers (from Friday to Sunday) to "Rogue One" numbers (the following Monday onward). And after seeing the backlash & outrage by a good percentage of the "wookiepedia" nerd types, I don't see a future for star wars that doesn't grow more distant from many in it's base over time.

That's a guess, and not one that makes much sense given the plot of the film. They started to target the cruiser, but those are capital cannons meant for siege attacks on planets. They're powerful, but they're not great for chases. Leia called Poe and his squadron back because they were going to run, because that was still an option; it wasn't a "kill the dreadnaught or we all die" moment. If it were, then the sacrifice would've been necessary and Leia would neither have ordered Poe back, nor would she have demoted him for saving the fleet. So clearly, they weren't about to all get killed by the dreadnaught; it was targeting them to make them shove off.
    I'll grant you they did have the option to run, but if you remember, even with the time "wasted" killing the Dreadnaught, they did run. Then they realized running didn't help them after all, because they were being tracked. Now if Leia and Holda take 2 minutes to think about it, they'd realize that if Poe doesn't take out the Dreadnaught, it shows up with the rest of the fleet and takes them out with it's siege guns in the first few minutes, then they tell Poe they are sorry and they work with him on what the next plan is going to be. If the Death Star's super laser can plink capital ships with no problem, I don't see how the Siege Gun would have a problem hitting them.

You seriously need to watch the movie. Because she tells Poe the plan. And then he mutinies.

What you're suggesting is what actually happened.

Watch. The. Movie.

Rose and Finn and BB-8 get sent to find a codebreaker, while Poe stays behind to try and get the fleet ready on his end.
    Poe finds out Holdo's plan, and says "nah" and mutinies.
    Rose and Finn get out with the codebreaker (DJ). Poe tells them Holdo's plan over open comms, while DJ's in the room. DJ overhears.
    Rose and Finn get onto the First Order capital ship with DJ, DJ leads them along and then betrays them, not just leading to their capture but ALSO telling Hux about Holdo's plan, which he imagines will now get used since this plan is shot to hell.

That's why Hux knows about the cloak. They specifically state this overtly, in the film. You've got things turned around in your head and you're forgetting critical scenes even exist.
    At your suggestion, I just finished rewatching those scenes. Not once does Holda tell Poe the plan. yep...not once. First you had the big confrontation on the bridge. Holda says some non-nonsensical BS about hope, when Poe says they need a plan. Then Poe sees the on the monitor that they are fueling the transports and goes nuts shouting that Holda's going to get them all killed if she abandons ship, because the transports have no shielding. Holda stands there with a dumb expression on her face while Poe hulks out for a bit. Finally Poe calls her a traitor and she orders folks to take Poe off the bridge. Later, just moments before the mutiny, Poe tells her his plan, which she scoffs at, then tells the other folks to keep loading the transports. That's when Poe takes over. It wasn't until Poe woke up on the transport that Leia explained the plan about the planet, which Poe didn't know anything about, and because the planet is there, the smaller ships can hide while they get there, which Poe didn't know anything about. Once Poe has this small tiny piece of info he quickly figures out the First Order would fly right past them not knowing they ditched on the planet - - to which Poe says, "that could work!"

Probably the reason I'm most upset with Holda is that if she told Poe her plan in the first place, Finn and Rose never go to Planet Evil-Rich-People, and we are saved 30 minutes of inconsequential side story.

Instead, you have Poe thinking she's going to get everyone killed, so he makes his own plan, then spills to Finn what he thinks Holda's plan is in front of whats-his-name, as the reason they need to get moving. Which instead foils Holda's plan that she couldn't tell Poe because she needed Poe to know that hope was like the sun...which happened to be one of the few things Poe actually did already know.

It's not surprising to see former SJW mods and their minions arguing in favour of one of the worst Star Wars movies ever made. How is it possible to watch this movie in full and NOT come out thinking "yeah diversity was definitely considered more important than acting ability for this movie". Race this race that, it was a a movie with a VERY weak plot and the acting was on the most part atrocious. The only redeeming feature of the movie was the special effects, but even those cannot take away from the SJW-esque theme. If you walked out of this movie thinking either the plot or the acting were good for this movie, you should get your head examined!

For SJWs, it is normal to have woman commanders who are hysterical teenage girls in disguise. If US military indeed had a healthy representation of women in their ranks, we would see woman commanders who behave like their male counterpart. But real life sexism and racism is so strong in US, so we have teenage commanders and operetta token diversity minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    For SJWs, it is normal to have woman commanders who are hysterical teenage girls in disguise. If US military indeed had a healthy representation of women in their ranks, we would see woman commanders who behave like their male counterpart. But real life sexism and racism is so strong in US, so we have teenage commanders and operetta token diversity minorities.
    Now I'm starting to understand why so many people are up in arms over this film and its nothing to do with the film quality.

While not perfect it made improvements on TFA and actually took some risks and was unpredictable

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    Now I'm starting to understand why so many people are up in arms over this film and its nothing to do with the film quality.

While not perfect it made improvements on TFA and actually took some risks and was unpredictable
    I think what really bothered me about TLJ was poor character development that made them feel extremely forced, and awkward. There is a proper way to introduce characters, not a "here, this person you just met is now your best friend and a warrior who will fight with you to the death because reasons". There were a lot of very good parts in TLJ, it was a good movie, but I think its being overly praised for no reason.

Rogue One had a strong female lead, and is not only the best star wars movie in my eyes, but arguably one of the best movies I have EVER seen.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisSanchez View Post
    ...and its nothing to do with the film quality.
    So ridiculous characters born of SJW's pen are not affecting the movie quality? O.K.

10+ Year Old Account
    So ridiculous characters born of SJW's pen are not affecting the movie quality? O.K.
    If you're going to rant about "SJWs", to begin with, yes, you're not discussing movie quality. You're making this political, because apparently a film that doesn't support your baseless prejudices is "poor quality".

There's not one "SJW" thing about The Last Jedi. Not one.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're letting your political views creep into your movie views. Just leave the SJW thing out of it completely, and mention that you think the quality of certain actors is sub-par. To mention SJW makes it seem like you're pushing a political narrative.

Before you ask, there are things I liked about the movie and things I didn't. Not a big fan of the plot revolving around the chase of the cruiser. I did like the hyperspace crash, but I think someone said, that if that ship attained close to the speed of light before hitting the other ships, all the ships in the vicinity and the top layer of the nearby planet itself would have been incinerated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I assure you that a former comic-book reader, your statement is incorrect.

Unless you're trying to compare the MAX line to the current Marvel movies, you are sorely mistaken. I mean, you're talking about comic books that use words like "mad-on" and invent fake swears to avoid using real ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Intuitive View Post
    It's not surprising to see former SJW mods and their minions arguing in favour of one of the worst Star Wars movies ever made. How is it possible to watch this movie in full and NOT come out thinking "yeah diversity was definitely considered more important than acting ability for this movie". Race this race that, it was a a movie with a VERY weak plot and the acting was on the most part atrocious. The only redeeming feature of the movie was the special effects, but even those cannot take away from the SJW-esque theme. If you walked out of this movie thinking either the plot or the acting were good for this movie, you should get your head examined!
    None of what you said is objectively true, so, um, no. Thanks for sharing I guess.

WTF does this even mean? It's like you just tossed a bunch of random buzzwords together and made an incomprehensible word salad.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Intuitive View Post
    you still never answered my question of whats wrong with the plot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    do you mean marvel movies or comics? and if you mean comics do you have any sources of stuff that have been "disneyfied" because i could find you alot of blood and death in current comics if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    None of what you said is objectively true, so, um, no. Thanks for sharing I guess.
    In reality, NOTHING is objectively true because there is always a subject experiencing an event. So your attempted deflection was cute but worthless.

You can't handle reality so you project your insecurities onto others. I bet when growing up, the phrase "well your opinion is invalid" was frequently said to you.