Quote Originally Posted by Tromage View Post
    In the crawling text they say the galaxy is under first order control, when one day before that they where the last remains of the empire and had a star killer base but it got blown up.

So this movie fucks up before even starting the movie and you think its a great movie?? either you dont care about Star Wars or you are trolling.
    A quick google search will tell you that's not what the crawl says. Also, the Republic got wiped out in the previous episode, so it's safe to say that the First Order is the more powerful force.

"The FIRST ORDER reigns. Having decimated the peaceful Republic, Supreme Leader Snoke now deploys his merciless legions to seize military control of the galaxy.

"Only General Leia Organa’s band of RESISTANCE fighters stand against the rising tyranny, certain that Jedi Master Luke Skywalker will return and restore a spark of hope to the fight.

"But the Resistance has been exposed. As the First Order speeds toward the rebel base, the brave heroes mount a desperate escape...."

Source: http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/1...ng-crawl-text/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    The Vice Admiral's plan to save the Resistance succeeds
    Shit wasn't even a Pyrrhic victory... 99% of their force is destroyed and their allies abandon them.

The movie isn't perfect, but it's a big step up from TFA to be sure.

Yes, it would have been better if Rey joined Kylo and showed us something radical, but it's delusional at this point to expect a hyper-blockbuster like this to be anything daring or revolutionary. When billions of dollars are involved the execs will make sure it's played safe.

Snoke was a little wasted, I agree. Not sure what's going on there, and if it'll be resolved in the last part. We have a mysterious high-level Sith just show up out of nowhere with no explanation and then he just gets finished off just like that?

Maybe it's just a problem with movies in general, stories need to be compressed into 2 hours and so you have things like Rey just being able to do anything with literally no training - not that Luke's few weeks on Dagobah were all that much either, considering he was comparable in power to padawan Obi-wan who had years and years of training since childhood under highly competent masters. It's just a story contrivance due to time constraints. Yes, Rey is a Mary Sue - and people love her for it, because she's one of those paragon hero types. Never saw much appeal in those myself, but I guess I come from literature rather than film so my standards are higher.

In the end, I'm just glad TLJ isn't a carbon copy remake of one of the originals like TFA was.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    I bet your other favorite movies are some Michael Bay films like Transformers or Fast and the Furious. Only the highest class of tastes. Exquisite!
    Well I second his opinion and I am glad that Rey did not joined Kylo because Kylo is a whiny emo bastard who looks better with his mask on than without, besides his other failings. Loved how Luke played him in the final part of the movie. Finally, a Jedi who was able to capitalise on the double-edged sword of using rage and hatred by the Sith. This movie had some flaws, but not any of the points listed by paralleluniverse.

I don't watch F&F or Transformers or the likes. My favorites are the 1st Matrix movie, Dark City, Inception, and some more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by paralleluniverse View Post
    A quick google search will you tell that that's not what the crawl says. Also, the Republic got wiped out in the previous episode, so it's safe the say that the First order are the more powerful force.
    That makes no sense! in episode 6 the rebels free the GALAXY from the empire domination.
    So afterward the Republic (99%) all gather on like 4-5 planets close together and get blown up?

Do ppl in Hollywood know what a galaxy means.
    Last edited by mmoc2b606a4969; 2017-12-18 at 12:30 PM.

When does MovieGate start? I know the US medias journalistic integrity is nothing more than a meme now, but surely people are going to start calling into question the ratings the "professional critics" are giving soon right?

That makes no sense! in episode 6 the rebels free the GALAXY from the empire domination.
    So afterward the Republic (99%) all gather on like 4-5 planets close together and get blown up?

Seems awfully inconvenient to spread your government all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I know right, its almost like how in the US all politicians work exclusively from DC regardless of if they are state or federal. Oh.. hang on?

10+ Year Old Account

Star Wars has never had any sense of scale.

Its why an entire galaxy spanning republic is fielding an army of 200,000 clones in AotC, in a conflict between entities with presumably trillions upon trillions of citizens, why ships can jump across the galaxy in a couple of days (hyperdrives in Star Wars are literally millions of times the speed of light).

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    I know right, its almost like how in the US all politicians work exclusively from DC regardless of if they are state or federal. Oh.. hang on?
    The Republic quite clearly had little state-control.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Why we talk about a fantasy universe where you can have a hologram of yourself in a room like you are actually there.
    And if a government dies that does not mean that the Galaxy that put that government in place suddenly rolls over and now is smaller then a small first order fleet.
    Last edited by mmoc2b606a4969; 2017-12-18 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDestinatus View Post
    When does MovieGate start? I know the US medias journalistic integrity is nothing more than a meme now, but surely people are going to start calling into question the ratings the "professional critics" are giving soon right?
    It starts when some people on the internet trade their mind for a can of worms donated to them by crowd mentality.

Deleted

The problem is that the New Republic was toothless government that strongly believed on the Galactic Concordance and the Military Disarmament. The Republic Centrist party were diverting money into "individual planet defense", which was actually money for Centrist worlds. Corruption took control of the Senate again.

Meanwhile, the First Order mobilized for war during the 30 years between the Battle of Jakku and the Force Awakens. The Resistance was the only force that actually tried to stop the First Order.

TL;DR version: The New Republic was crap.
    Last edited by mmoc516e31a976; 2017-12-18 at 12:51 PM.

Thats not really what happens but its not very well explained in the movies so allow me to tell you. The rebels in EP 6 do not free the galaxy from empire domination. They just kill the emperor. Afterwards theres still a fight against his remaining forces and also to stop a plot of these planet teraforming devices the emperor set up incase he died. Essentially the last of the empires fleets were destroyed on Jakku but a few remained and headed toward the outer rim to form the first order. Where it looks like through funding were able to rebuild a fleet and kidnap childern across the galaxy and retrain them for an army. They then started to attack the new Republic.

So now to the new republic. After the Jakku battle with the Empire gone a new republic was set up. However this republic would shift across the galaxy so the seat of power would never be stuck in the same place. You know give everyone a chance to house the government. So in the time of this movie the seat of the republic and its fleet of ship were on that planet and those that surround it. But the republic still exists but the goverment is gone.

I thought about this, and I think it does make sense.

You have to realize, the Empire didn't just spring into being in its entirety overnight - it was a long, long plan carefully prepared to essentially transform the Republic into what would become the Empire. That means that a lot of the structures in place, the bureaucracy etc., were put into place long ago - and for many of its citizens, little actually changed. Remember, even in TPM they're already complaining about the state of affairs, so it's been going on for a long time.

We have a bit of a skewed view on things because we see the perspectives of the oppressed, and of the heroes - not of the common people, or the economic elite, or even the middle class. You don't just change these things overnight - which is why the rebellion operated in isolated groups, sown far across the galaxy. It wasn't a grassroots movement leading into a general insurrection, it was a specific, military effort backed by deposed politicians. It hinged entirely on surgical strikes, taking out the highest echelons of leadership and replacing them, thereby hoping to restore order from the top down.

Evidently that must not have gone so well, and it's not a huge surprise. A strictly top-down style of government works for dictators, because they don't give a fuck. If you start to care, things get complicated. And you have decades upon decades of encrusted structures and (more importantly) the associated mindsets to contend with. Remember, the Republic was on the brink of civil war already - evidently there were large portions of the galaxy already in disagreement with how things are run. That also wouldn't have disappeared overnight, and would have hindered efforts to rebuild.

Meanwhile, you have a MASSIVE military apparatus, with all its armies, hardware, and command officers - all of which are probably interested in keeping their own careers going, and are basically exclusively human. Which is another thing people tend to forget, that the Empire was a pretty racist place, and fed into racist mindsets - you don't change that overnight either, those sentiments have been fermenting for decades if not longer. It would be easy for someone to seize power, particularly if they're a force user. You have people who have done a lot of fighting for the past 20 years or so, and profited from it - coupled with a rigid bureaucracy, a profiteering economic elite, and a base of racism among one of the chief constituent races (humans) to build on.

10+ Year Old Account
    In the crawling text they say the galaxy is under first order control, when one day before that they where the last remains of the empire and had a star killer base but it got blown up.

So this movie fucks up before even starting the movie and you think its a great movie?? either you dont care about Star Wars or you are trolling.
    In the force awakens it says the first order rose from the ashes of the empire. Nothing about the last remnants. The empire was humongous.

Either you dont care about star wars or you're trolling.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2017-12-18 at 01:02 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Shit wasn't even a Pyrrhic victory... 99% of their force is destroyed and their allies abandon them.
    So just like A New Hope then? Yay, Death Star destroyed and we are not gonna all die today, some of us made it. Wait what's that? The British are coming! Quickly, RUN to Dagobah!
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Apparently hyperspace tracking was briefly mentioned in Rogue One, which is pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    So just like A New Hope then? Yay, Death Star destroyed and we are not gonna all die today, some of us made it. Wait what's that? The British are coming! Quickly, RUN to Dagobah!
    Not really. In A New Hope they lost most of their fighters/bombers but the Rebellion itself was largely intact. They evacuated from Hoth in good order. In TLJ they lost almost everything; pilots, infantry, support staff, starfighters, ships, the whole lot. They lost so many that the survivors could literally fit into the Millennium Falcon.

And it's all because the Vice-Admiral refused to tell anybody what their plan was until the last minute... and hell, I think it was Leia who told everybody anyway.

7+ Year Old Account
    Dont know if this has been answered, are they looking at a 3rd installment? after this? do we know what happens now?