IMDb has both Mark Hamill and Andy Serkis rumored to be back for episode 9. I think we all assume we’ll see a Luke force ghost. Wonder what they could be doing with Snoke.

I have to say, I loved every single thing about this movie. I can certainly understand certain people who cling to realism having some issues, but to me, this was everything Star Wars ever was since I first watched this back in the '80's as a kid. Mysticism in the force is back and just good old fashion adventure and fantasy, AND backed up by some real direction and acting (Mark Hamill was FUCKING phenomenal in this movie, FAR better than his portrayals in the OT even). Every single time I thought I knew what was about to happen here, the exact opposite did. This is GOOD movie making all around. I'm actually sad that J.J. Abrams is going to be directing the next one after this.

Not pure fanboyism, just pure love of a great Star Wars movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Do you think the Rey’s parents reveal is a misdirect or the truth? Did JJ have a different plan and Rian took it another direction? I’m just having a hard time accepting that she is THAT strong with the force and not related to anyone. Obviously, you don’t need to be a Skywalker to be force sensitive but Luke says her raw strength rivals Kylo which is the only other time he’s seen it. In TFA, she won that mental battle against Kylo and then beat him in a lightsaber duel despite zero training. In TLJ, she sorta beat Luke with her staff when they had that spat and then she beat several members of Snoke’s elite guard. Something has to be up.
    When Rey asked that funky mirror-wall in the grotto who her parents really were and found that the answer was her own reflection, that's the only answer she or the audience needs because its the only answer that is true. Rey is her own parent. She was abandoned and had to raise herself. That is the source of her strengths (resilience, determination, resourcefulness, etc) and the source of her weaknesses (loneliness, longing, etc). Its that weakness that Kylo Ren exploits, but its that strength that allows her to resist him.

Throw away your assumptions about blood lineages and the Force. That's all garbage, and the worst thing the fandom took from prequels. Anakin wasn't (*dramatic music*) THE CHOSEN ONE, he was a kid raised by a slave and then by the Jedi, the latter of whom royally screwed him up by (a) going on and on with all that prophesied hero nonsense and (b) simultaneously walking on eggshells around him about it. Then they act surprised when he starts to think they're holding him back (they were, but emotionally) and gets drawn to someone who he thinks can fulfill his power fantasies.

Incidentally, Kylo Ren is in the same trap. He's buried himself under the "Skywalker Legend" and can't free himself of it. That's ultimately why he lost to Rey at the end of TLJ (Snoke literally says this to him without any kind of equivocation) and why he'll lose to her again in Ep 9.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2017-12-16 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slybak View Post
    When Rey asked that funky mirror-wall in the grotto who her parents really were and found that the answer was her own reflection, that's the only answer she or the audience needs because its the only answer that is true. Rey is her own parent. She was abandoned and had to raise herself. That is the source of her strengths (resilience, determination, resourcefulness, etc) and the source of her weaknesses (loneliness, longing, etc). Its that weakness that Kylo Ren exploits, but its that strength that allows her to resist him.

Throw away your assumptions about blood lineages and the Force. That's all garbage, and the worst thing the fandom took from prequels. Anakin wasn't (*dramatic music*) THE CHOSEN ONE, he was a kid raised by a slave and then by the Jedi, the latter of whom royally screwed him up by (a) going on and on with all that prophesied hero nonsense and (b) simultaneously walking on eggshells around him about it. Then they act surprised when he starts to think they're holding him back (they were, but emotionally) and gets drawn to someone who he thinks can fulfill his power fantasies.

Incidentally, Kylo Ren is in the same trap. He's buried himself under the "Skywalker Legend" and can't free himself of it. That's ultimately why he lost to Rey at the end of TLJ (Snoke literally says this to him without any kind of equivocation) and why he'll lose to her again in Ep 9.

We’ll see. At this point, I fully expect some course corrections by JJ in IX.

Incidentally, Kylo Ren is in the same trap. He's buried himself under the "Skywalker Legend" and can't free himself of it.
    I think that one of the most beautiful things about this movie is the vast departure from the "midichlorian" nonsense that we all had to swallow for so long and even take a step further and embrace that the Force just does it's own thing. Even in the OT "bloodlines" seemed to be a prominent theme with Vader down to Luke and Leia. But in TLJ we're treated to the fact that sometimes the Force just doesn't care, it will pick a random nobody, and then another nobody (a la the last actual scene) if necessary, bloodlines be damned. It brings back the mystery of it, so much more satisfying when you're looking at a movie that is truly based in fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mavick View Post
    I think that one of the most beautiful things about this movie is the vast departure from the "midichlorian" nonsense that we all had to swallow for so long and even take a step further and embrace that the Force just does it's own thing. Even in the OT "bloodlines" seemed to be a prominent theme with Vader down to Luke and Leia. But in TLJ we're treated to the fact that sometimes the Force just doesn't care, it will pick a random nobody, and then another nobody (a la the last actual scene) if necessary, bloodlines be damned. It brings back the mystery of it, so much more satisfying when you're looking at a movie that is truly based in fantasy.
    The best thing about the movie is that it tells the fandom the same thing the characters learn; these things you think are important are just distracting you from what's really important.

Throw them away.

The best thing about the movie is that it tells the fandom the same thing the characters learn; these things you think are important are just distracting you from what's really important.

Throw them away.

Quoted for truth.

About the only thing I didn't like about the movie is that there are too many characters doing too many different things. I think if they would've concentrated on one or two characters that would've made a better film.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Archon14 View Post

1. You can see the dices disappear when Kylo takes them, so I think they were a projection too.
    2. We could see the ghost of Luke influencing Rey, and/or Kylo, in the next episode. Not sure about Snoke, maybe we see more of him or at least something related to him in the future. As far as the spirits doing something physical, I don't think so, though I wouldn't mind seeing Snoke trying to torture Kylo or Rey even in his death. Or perhaps trying to mess with Luke's spirit. I'd enjoy that.
    Not sure what's allowed as far as Force and force spirits go, but we've seen some crazy things in the movie already, so I'm prepared for anything really.

The one thing I did not get about that sequence. Both the dice and Luke are projections correct? We see Kylo strike through Luke, as in he can't physical interact with the projection. However both Kylo and Leia physically interact with the dice? I am confused. I think you also can see Leia's face after Luke places the projection in her hand/places his hand on hers. It is almost as if she realized it was not his physical self.
    Last edited by ryan11d7; 2017-12-16 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Ridiculously so, to the point where those stupid little puffin/owl things didnt even look realistic from a CG standpoint, as if they were rendered in last minute. Everytime I tried to immerse myself back into the movie some stupid product placement would appear.
    the porgs where puppet and had like what 2 minute of screeb time total. Over reactikn much.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Movie was great though I though De’toro was under used it it, wasted talent there but it was still good.
    He did a FANTASTIC job playing the character though. You could almost smell the spice addiction.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena Emberlin View Post
    Sorry you don't like it but you don't get to decide what is canon and what is fan fiction. Lucas sold those rights to disney, he gave up ownership of the property willingly, for money. It doesn't really matter if it fits his old vision or not.
    I think you miss the point. If WoW was sold to EA by Blizzard, it would no longer be a Warcraft game. It would be a EA game with the Warcraft title. The title is a shallow husk of the content inside. It absolutely does matter if it fits his vision. If it's not a George Lucas film, it's not Star Wars. Full. Stop. Star Wars will always be his whether you like that or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Assuming that the Jedi are actually ending, which he implied they weren't.
    They SHOULD end though, that's my point!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by ryan11d7 View Post

The one thing I did not get about that sequence. Both the dice and Luke are projections correct? We see Kylo strike through Luke, as in he can't physical interact with the projection. However both Kylo and Leia physically interact with the dice? I am confused. I think you also can see Leia's face after Luke places the projection in her hand/places his hand on hers. It is almost as if she realized it was not his physical self.
    To me it seemed like Luke was definitely able of physical touch through projection, or at least make the dice "real" in her hand. I'm not sure about Leia's reaction though. What definitely makes sense is that dice would disappear after Luke's death.

As far as combat goes, I'm sure that Luke was able to "turn the touch on and off", or maybe his power was vanishing and he could no longer maintain the physical presence near the end of their fight. Have to watch it again to see if the director actually showed it in more detail.
    Last edited by Archon14; 2017-12-16 at 06:54 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan11d7 View Post

It's a Force projection it can be as physical as the projector wants, after all he did fight Kyloe Ren and Kylo was none the wiser until he saw Luke standing after he "sliced" him and then he poked him in disbelief
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Gotta chuckle at whining about the CGI in Force Awakens and defending George Lucas' vision (FYI, Force Awakens used a pretty decent amount of practical stuff).
    I know people like you have a hard time comprehending the english written word (granted, you're Danish so I'll give you a pass), but my point was that the movie was a husk, not that CGI is bad. What I was saying is the only substance the film had was fanservice and CGI. It had no heart. It had no coherent story. It was empty fluffer content. TFA was a complete fanservice. If you like fanservice, more power to you, but I loathe it. I find it insulting on an intellectual level. I also think fanservice exists only to exploit financially. Disney milked the hell out of it and will continue to.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    I know people like you have a hard time comprehending the english written word (granted, you're Danish so I'll give you a pass), but my point was that the movie was a husk, not that CGI is bad. What I was saying is the only substance the film had was fanservice and CGI. It had no heart. It had no coherent story. It was empty fluffer content. TFA was a complete fanservice. If you like fanservice, more power to you, but I loathe it. I find it insulting on an intellectual level. I also think fanservice exists only to exploit financially. Disney milked the hell out of it and will continue to.
    It's impossible to insult an intellectual on any level.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It's impossible to insult an intellectual on any level.
    That's not what I said. An intellectual is an intelligent person. Being "insulted on an intellectual level" is a phrase which means is assaulting to one's own intellect. Again, I know english is hard for many on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    It's a Force projection it can be as physical as the projector wants, after all he did fight Kyloe Ren and Kylo was none the wiser until he saw Luke standing after he "sliced" him and then he poked him in disbelief
    we have never seen anything like that before so I think to say he can do whatever he wants in terms of physical interaction is kind of something we do not know And saying oh he can turn that stuff on and off is kinda a cop-out. Let’s not forget when Luke was walking he was making no marks on the ground if I remember. Where as everybody else was making salt marks. They showed that clearly and for a reason. They had a scene showing it on purpose with the solider saying it was salt. And then zooming in on Kylos feet while he was moving. It was clear from the moment he walked out he was not physical interacting with anything. But he was able to with Leia and the dice were physically interactive with Kyle. I think they honestly just didn’t think about it.
    Last edited by ryan11d7; 2017-12-16 at 07:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Iron Fist View Post
    I think you miss the point. If WoW was sold to EA by Blizzard, it would no longer be a Warcraft game. It would be a EA game with the Warcraft title. The title is a shallow husk of the content inside. It absolutely does matter if it fits his vision. If it's not a George Lucas film, it's not Star Wars. Full. Stop. Star Wars will always be his whether you like that or not.
    Actually it's quite the opposite, whether you like that or not. The intellectual property that is Star Wars was sold by George Lucas to Disney for some 4 billion dollars, now unless a film is made or approved by Disney it won't be Star Wars. That's how intellectual property works.

What's true is that it's not George Lucas' Star Wars anymore. Given the prequel trilogy, thank God for that. He did a great job in establishing the franchise, but ultimately he overstayed his welcome in his own franchise. The Ewoks was an early sign.