Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    So schools are not permitted to record breaches of university policy, then?

Laws like this are already active in Virginia and New York, I sincerely doubt that 'false rape convictions' happen with any appreciable frequency where this would be a problem.
    Go back and read my proposed account of events again. Getting drunk and sleeping with each other is neither rape in strict terms nor is it against university policy.

That said, the accusation of rape because someone decides it was sex without consent because they were drunk is WAY too common today. All I am saying is that a permanent record shouldn't be marked until they have proven that the situation was, in fact, rape. Otherwise one persons academic career is marred because TWO people, not one, make a poor choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Istenno View Post
    Go back and read my proposed account of events again. Getting drunk and sleeping with each other is neither rape in strict terms nor is it against university policy.

That said, the accusation of rape because someone decides it was sex without consent because they were drunk is WAY too common today. All I am saying is that a permanent record shouldn't be marked until they have proven that the situation was, in fact, rape. Otherwise one persons academic career is marred because TWO people, not one, make a poor choice.
    I'm just going to point out that the vast majority of people go through life having sex with nary a hint of dubious consent. If this is such a worrisome possibility for you, chances are that you're doing it wrong.

The proposed bill requires that breaches of the university sexual assault policy be recorded on college transcripts, like all other offenses. That's all.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Torn on this. There seems ot be no middle ground. On one hand, this kind of thing is silly since it also includes in progress, not just finished - convicted. On the otherhand, universities doing NOTHING leads to Baylor like situations, which tarnish the entire campus for some time and give off a rapist university vibe.
    I am of the opinion that we should stop beating around the bush and just segregate the sexes on college campus' and or ban sex, alcohol ect in dorms. If we are seriously worried about a rape epidemic and drinking then just do what BYU does.

Of course no administrator would ever do that because they know attendance would drop like a rock.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm just going to point out that the vast majority of people go through life having sex with nary a hint of dubious consent. If this is such a worrisome possibility for you, chances are that you're doing it wrong.

The proposed bill requires that breaches of the university sexual assault policy be recorded on college transcripts, like all other offenses. That's all.
    I'm old enough and well out of college that this is not any personal issue for me. But you're naive if you think rape allegations in this day and age, ESPECIALLY on campus, are not treated as guilty until proven innocent.

If I am reading this properly (not easy, it's in legal speak) then only at the end of the investigation will the note be added, for up to 5 years. If you leave during an investigation then a one year note gets added.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    California universities are become significantly shitty.

I guess the solution is to not date another college student if you are a college student.
    Somehow I feel like our society is fighting against everything that was done in the past. We're almost back to when the evangelical right kept a tight handle on everybody's sexual life, but this time from the liberal far-left.

"You did not ask your sexual partner for consent before kissing him/her when he/she came back from her class? You forcefully took him/her against his/her will and forcefully made your way to his/her mouth in a sexual fashion? You raped him/her!" is something I dread.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am of the opinion that we should stop beating around the bush and just segregate the sexes on college campus' and or ban sex, alcohol ect in dorms. If we are seriously worried about a rape epidemic and drinking then just do what BYU does.

Of course no administrator would ever do that because they know attendance would drop like a rock.
    They're effectively having their cake and eating it too by demonizing something without directly harming the positive effect it brings to themselves. It's genius really.

10+ Year Old Account

ugh yeah, single gendered schools are so boooring. I need teh menz.

I just know that the thing that set a lot of this off was Baylor taking in a football dude form another school, being told that the dude had assaulted a woman but ignored that warning, then the dude went and assaulted another woman at Baylor and was convicted of it. So...I do think schools have the right to know criminal investigations, but Im not really for only using civil / school investigations since they tend to have lower levels of rpoof required.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    Somehow I feel like our society is fighting against everything that was done in the past. We're almost back to when the evangelical right kept a tight handle on everybody's sexual life, but this time from the liberal far-left.

"You did not ask your sexual partner for consent before kissing him/her when he/she came back from her class? You forcefully took him/her against his/her will and forcefully made your way to his/her mouth in a sexual fashion? You raped him/her!" is something I dread.
    The major issue is that campus activists just have too much power to try and enforce their sexual morality on the campus.

Typically the people who run my universities kangaroo court consists of 3 open lesbians, and 1 girl who is ace and a gay man (The token male in the gender studies dept.) and usually some administrator too afraid to ever challenge these people.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

what about murder? assault? stealing? etc... just add on their entire criminal history?
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm old enough and well out of college that this is not any personal issue for me. But you're naive if you think rape allegations in this day and age, ESPECIALLY on campus, are not treated as guilty until proven innocent.
    Yeah, when the narrative stops invariably being 'a guy convicted of rape ruined his life, poor him' maybe we can make some progress. There's a level of permissiveness of suspect behavior that is the actual cause of the vehement response.

7+ Year Old Account
    ugh yeah, single gendered schools are so boooring. I need teh menz.

I just know that the thing that set a lot of this off was Baylor taking in a football dude form another school, being told that the dude had assaulted a woman but ignored that warning, then the dude went and assaulted another woman at Baylor and was convicted of it. So...I do think schools have the right to know criminal investigations, but Im not really for only using civil / school investigations since they tend to have lower levels of rpoof required.
    That is true, College is a great way to meet men. :3

Baylor did fuck up, though In my own experience there is a lot of hysterics from the activist crowd who really lobby for this stuff.

If the rights of the accused were even protected, if there was actual standards of evidence, a legit court preceding ect, this law would be fine. But at present all CSU "tribunals," are just the equivalent of a Conviction Mill.

Having had to help set one of these kangaroo court proceedings up and sit in on it, I can tell you its a bullshit procedure.

10+ Year Old Account
    That is true, College is a great way to meet men. :3

Baylor did fuck up, though In my own experience there is a lot of hysterics from the activist crowd who really lobby for this stuff.

If the rights of the accused were even protected, if there was actual standards of evidence, a legit court preceding ect, this law would be fine. But at present all CSU "tribunals," are just the equivalent of a Conviction Mill.
    Which is why I'm so iffy on this. The middle ground which SHOULD exist, just doesn't currently. *headdesk* Its all reactionary work.

I agree with a number of people it should be a matter for the police, while the school could record it during the investigation as being investigated, if the police found the person not guilty the school should be forced to also clear their records. (IMO they should not be able to tarnish anyone's record with something so serous with out a formal police involvement and investigation).

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    They're effectively having their cake and eating it too by demonizing something without directly harming the positive effect it brings to themselves. It's genius really.
    Its a short lived genius. Men are rapidly vanishing from college campus' and administrators know that there is a 61:39 rule to gender ratio before attendance starts to suffer. If women cross the 60 percent threshold and the school becomes visibly a "Chic school" women often hold off on enrollment because the pool of guys to potentially turn into boyfriends drops.

You'll note the the Mills Women's college isn't exactly overrun with eager women desiring to be student around only women.

So, the possibility of the rape rate being 1 in 4 is a weird deal, we are told it is a huge crisis and rape is the worst thing ever. But not terrible enough to justify doing anything that might harm schools profitability.

15+ Year Old Account
    Like I say every time one of these threads comes up. A college/university are not the fucking police. It is not their job to handle rape crime. They need to get out of this mentality that it is their problem to fix, it is not. We have police, a court and judges for these kinds of things, not schools.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Odd. Alcohol SHOULD be banned on premises in the USA for anyone under 21, because your legal drinking limit is 21. Odd, since in Canada we don't have near the problem with minors drinking on college campuses, nor do we have major threats of rape culture because most students starting university or college are 18 and are already legal in certain provinces (mainly Quebec) or they are only a year away from the legal drinking age anyway. And we don't have these issues of rape culture, though I am sure someone will try and prove that we do even though there have been zero major cases of it on our campuses. We don't have 18 year old kids who have never been exposed to alcohol legally running rampant in our schools, even though under age drinking. Maybe it's because our beer is so strong that we actually just pass out from being drunk rather than having sex with a random stranger, that seems to be the logical answer to me

So, the possibility of the rape rate being 1 in 4 is a weird deal, we are told it is a huge crisis and rape is the worst thing ever. But not terrible enough to justify doing anything that might harm schools profitability.
    The one in 4 statistic is actually inaccurate. The method they used to ascribe 1 in 4 was to do a survey on women to find out if they had any unwanted sexual advances/sexual harassment and the criteria was shockingly vague, like "did somebody ever do something you were uncomfortable with". From that data they ascribe 1 in 4 women would be the victim of rape, which is a bit different than their criteria.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its a short lived genius. Men are rapidly vanishing from college campus' and administrators know that there is a 61:39 rule to gender ratio before attendance starts to suffer. If women cross the 60 percent threshold and the school becomes visibly a "Chic school" women often hold off on enrollment because the pool of guys to potentially turn into boyfriends drops.

You'll note the the Mills Women's college isn't exactly overrun with eager women desiring to be student around only women.

Rapidly vanishing?

As long as black dudes trying to make it out the hood still exist, they'll be enough man to go around.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why I'm so iffy on this. The middle ground which SHOULD exist, just doesn't currently. *headdesk* Its all reactionary work.
    Well, you can't expect nothing less from neo-liberals, Crissi. I am all for the middle ground too, but it seems people on both sides of the argument don't want to meet in the middle because it means making a compromise for the other side, despite the fact that compromising is the best way to fix a problem.