Poll: Is it OK for your significant other to look through your phone?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    I wouldn't tolerate such a person or their demands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    There's no hope for a relationship without trust.

@Darsithis
    Trust is pretty necessary though I have absolutely no idea why you would mention me in this post.

No, they would find out about my other significant others and that would be a headache. But I always would go through their texts and stuff, just to make them uncomfortable, and keeping the significant others uncomfortable at all times is the key to a healthy relationship.

Only when I invite them to do so.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    If I want to use my husband's phone... he just lets me. I know his swipe pattern, and he knows mine. He's uses my phone all the time, too.
    That is not what was asked, "checking a phone" is something completely different from "using it to call someone" when you have their (implicit) permission to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitedragon View Post
    It can though, if the friend finds out through some means that the SO got the information it may kill any trust you and your friend have. For example he/she may have the best intentions and try to be help out, but in doing so reveals that you failed to keep their personal information to yourself. Another possibility is the two can brake up, and in an act of spite the SO can try to hurt the other by destroying his/her friendships.

Trust is one thing, but the need to have a hand in everything your SO dose is another.
    I said IF they keep it to themselves. Your example is they did NOT.

10+ Year Old Account
    If she wants to check just cause, you should tell her no (and maybe tell her to find another boyfriend at the same time).

Might be a different story if there are other reasons why she wants to check.

*shrugs*
    I don't have a cellphone. But if I did she'd be the one holding on to it.

I've never understood how anyone can grow so attached to such junk anyway. Heck, I ended a fight quick enough by smashing someone's cellphone. It was pitiful..it made him cry.

honestly, if its serious
    let them do it, it puts their mind at ease and costs you nothing in the process

unless they are checking it every day or something, that would be crazy

I have no issues whatsoever when my GF sees any content on my phone as there's nothing to hide. However, IF she'd be requesting to go through some messages in it, let alone doing that behind my back, now that would most definitely be a grade A problem. I've never asked her to show her messages/mails/call history and neither has she. In my books, that's called trust, one of the very cornerstones of a healthy relationship. If you can't trust even that little your each other, then it's time for some discussion and/or just pack your stuff and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by W1sp View Post
    My gf has this thing where she asks to read my texts / FB messages and it makes me feel like absolute shit because in my eyes it's basically telling me she doesn't trust me :/

What are your experiences regarding this topic?

Edit: For the people telling me to tell her no that is what I do and I don't let her look. As I feel it's an invasion of my privacy.

Tl;Dr I'm no cucked
    In my experience, when people are super distrustful, it's because they themselves cheat.

most than likely, she's cheating on you and its trying to find something to blame you for it

10+ Year Old Account
    Instant breakup criteria right there.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevarin View Post
    couldnt possibly care less. people cant be trusted, even those you think you can trust. then again, im also a pessimist.

if she wants to check my phone, she can. i have nothing to hide.

<3 im not alone on this world

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by soccershot View Post
    Either you are cheating on her or you are open. Stop being a moron.
    Nice binary deduction. I think you're aiming that "moron" in the wrong direction. There is no obligation to make known everything about you and your life to your partner. Yes, trust is important. But in the sense that if they don't trust you enough to not have to go through your phone, social media, etc, they can go fuck themselves. I would wouldn't even give my SO my gaming login info. If she wants to play, she can get her own account. If she don't like it, the door's over there. -> /shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Trust is pretty necessary though I have absolutely no idea why you would mention me in this post.
    Maybe you did something to hurt his feefees and that's his way of saying you're ass is sleeping on the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    In my experience, when people are super distrustful, it's because they themselves cheat.
    Troof.