Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Cool Canada sets universal broadband goal of 50Mbps and unlimited data for all

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ll/?comments=1

Canada's telecom regulator yesterday declared that broadband Internet must be considered "a basic telecommunications service for all Canadians" and created a fund to connect rural and remote communities. With this decision, high-speed broadband is now treated as an essential technology similar to voice service.

All Canadians should be able to purchase home Internet with 50Mbps download speeds and 10Mbps uploads, and they should have the option of purchasing unlimited data, the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) announcement said. A new fund will make $750 million available over the next five years to support projects in areas where that level of broadband isn't available.

Money will be distributed to applicants based upon a competitive process. Funding can be used either for fixed broadband service or to upgrade mobile networks, but the goals of 50Mbps/10Mbps and unlimited data for all is specifically for home Internet service. About 10 percent will be allocated to communities that are dependent on satellite access.

Currently, about 18 percent of Canadians, representing 2 million households, don't have access to 50Mbps/10Mbps service. "The CRTC's goal is to reduce that to 10 per cent by 2021 and down to zero in the next 10 to 15 years," a CBC article said.

The fund was created by shifting current subsidies for voice service to broadband. Telecoms "used to pay 0.53 percent of their revenues, excluding broadband, into that fund. Now they'll pay the same rate on all revenues, including broadband," the CBC reported.

The CRTC's decision does not set any targets for affordability, as the agency is hoping to make service affordable through market forces. (But as some readers noted in the comments on this story, the CRTC already requires wholesale access for competitors and sets wholesale access rates, which has the effect of boosting competition and keeping retail prices lower than they would otherwise be.)

Rogers Communications, a large Canadian telco, told the CBC that it already offers unlimited data and speeds 20 times faster than the CRTC's target in its whole service area. "While there are still many details to be worked out, we are encouraged by this reasonable plan to help increase access to Canadians in hard to reach areas of our country," said Rogers Senior VP of Regulatory Affairs David Watt.

Bell Canada said only that it is "reviewing the decision," according to CTV News.

OpenMedia, a nonprofit advocacy group, hailed the decision, calling it "a game-changer for rural and underserved communities across Canada where Internet access is either unavailable or unaffordable."

The CRTC decision comes in addition to a federal government plan to spend $500 million over five years improving backbone infrastructure, mostly to boost access for schools and hospitals.

OpenMedia Campaign Director Josh Tabish pointed out that the United States faces similar challenges in bringing broadband to rural and remote communities. "These challenges can be surmounted, but it will take real political will to do so," Tabish said in a press release, asking whether President-elect Donald Trump "really want[s] to see the US fall behind its neighbor to the north."
    Pretty cool. This is the Canadian way.
    I'm glad we are taking steps to reduce inequality and improve internet access. I hope other countries can also follow Canada's lead.
    If the 2nd largest country on the planet can do this, then what is the excuse for many of these smaller countries?

50Mb pfft.

/10char

Isn't there already a thread about the internet in canada where this was posted there?

A population 3 million less than California. Only 35 million people. Much harder if more than 3% of the area of your country was actually populated by more than moose and beaver.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Isn't there already a thread about the internet in canada where this was posted there?
    I recall some guy posting a thread with a source from 2014 certainly. Hardly useful for this discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd totally be willing to have Universal Broadband at the cost for an F-35 or three.

Even though I have great internet living in the big city, its seems reasonable that those rural folk deserve....

Naw they get what they vote for. If they prefer planes or a big wall over better utilities, so be it. It would be elitist and condescending to assume they want high speed internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post

I'm glad we are taking steps to reduce inequality and improve internet access. I hope other countries can also follow Canada's lead.
    If the 2nd largest country on the planet can do this, then what is the excuse for many of these smaller countries?

Hey Canada, welcome to what the entirity of Scandinavia and central Europe have been doing the last decade. You know how arrogant and snobby you come off as, right? "Oh I wish you were as good as us, cus we're doing something European countries have been doing for years".

Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    A population 3 million less than California. Only 35 million people. Much harder if more than 3% of the area of your country was actually populated by more than moose and beaver.
    The wide population dispersion makes this harder, not easier.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Considering there are already plenty of Countries that are beating us in terms of average speeds... We probably should get off our high-horse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wish the uk would do the same, on the most expensive connection available i manage 16 at max, i get over double that just using my phone's 4g :s

Is it going to be a state owned and controlled internet?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    Considering there are already plenty of Countries that are beating us in terms of average speeds... We probably should get off our high-horse.
    It's not a race to the highest speed is it. I could get 1 gig speeds here where I am sitting if I really wanted to. It's about equality and a more just society.

It's not a race to the highest speed is it. I could get 1 gig speeds here where I am sitting if I really wanted to. It's about equality and a more just society.
    ....If it weren't about speed then why does 50mbps matter? Cause technically 5mpbs is broadband. And we're not even the leader in that!

It's like Canada is begging me to leave this horrid country.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    ....If it weren't about speed then why does 50mbps matter? Cause technically 5mpbs is broadband. And we're not even the leader in that!
    Aiming high.

With 4K video projected to be more common over the next few decades.
    Nothing wrong with Canada setting 50 mbs at the desired speed.

10+ Year Old Account
    50Mbps is a joke, I have had 1Gb and unlimited for 2 years now, and most of Iceland can have it as well.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Deleted
    50?

The UK average is like 24 LOL.

Full Fibre is only available to 1.6% of the country.

10% of the country (approximately) get less than 2mbs
    Last edited by mmoc9bef67a441; 2016-12-23 at 10:21 PM.

I recall some guy posting a thread with a source from 2014 certainly. Hardly useful for this discussion.
    Later on in the thread the CRTC directive was posted as well. The same issues all apply.

10+ Year Old Account

So uh, welcome to the rest of the world? This is hardly an achievement.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Aiming high.

With 4K video projected to be more common over the next few decades.
    Nothing wrong with Canada setting 50 mbs at the desired speed.
    So then it IS about speed! Which proves me right.