Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    So uh, welcome to the rest of the world? This is hardly an achievement.
    How many countries with similar land size have an average internet speed of 50 mb for all?

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't even get 50 here. 300 or above, minimum.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

lol we Canadians are getting screwed service (speed and quantity) and price wise.

Rogers, Bell and Cogeco own most of Canadian netwook and even if they hate each other, anytime someone else (like an US base ISP) wanted to get in...they all went together to see Mr. CRTC and cried out loud how that's not cool.

All this will do is make so that the basic internet package will cost you 250$ a month for that speed and unlimited download.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    How many countries with similar land size have an average internet speed of 50 mb for all?
    Land size? You know your country to population ratio is 230 out of 241 countries? You have 3.4 PEOPLE PER SQUARE KM.....
    To put this into perspective:
    UK: 255 per Sq KM
    USA: 33 per Sq KM
    Last edited by Tommi; 2016-12-23 at 10:53 PM.

Key word being "goal." Good luck getting anything close to that in the Yukon. As a person who has had to deal with shitty internet for over a decade, I'm somewhat hopeful with Elon Musk's plans for satellite.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
    Land size? You know your country to population ratio is 230 out of 241 countries? You have 3.4 PEOPLE PER SQUARE KM.....
    To put this into perspective:
    UK: 255 per Sq KM
    USA: 33 per Sq KM
    That is the point. It's so impressive to get 50 Mbs as a minimum when you consider how spread out the population is here.

The crtc is so big on competition even though the track record for that is laughable. We still pay too much for too little. What's the point of a standard if the price is going to be prohibitive?

Decent goal with such a spread out population I suppose.
    In Sweden where the population to land mass ratio is 6 times higher than Canada the new broadband goal is that by 2020 95% of households should have at least 100Mbit (pretty much anyone not living in a small town in the middle of nowhere or out in the woods have access to this already), the goal for 2025 is that 98% of the population should have access to 1Gbit internet at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    I'd totally be willing to have Universal Broadband at the cost for an F-35 or three.

Even though I have great internet living in the big city, its seems reasonable that those rural folk deserve....

Naw they get what they vote for. If they prefer planes or a big wall over better utilities, so be it. It would be elitist and condescending to assume they want high speed internet.
    Are you talking about the US?

- - - Updated - - -

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ll/?comments=1

Pretty cool. This is the Canadian way.
    I'm glad we are taking steps to reduce inequality and improve internet access. I hope other countries can also follow Canada's lead.
    If the 2nd largest country on the planet can do this, then what is the excuse for many of these smaller countries?
    Is that a joke? Canada doesn't lead anything in communications, and smaller countries have been better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Are you talking about the US?

- - - Updated - - -

Is that a joke? Canada doesn't lead anything in communications, and smaller countries have been better.
    How many countries have 100% access to internet with at least 50mbps ??

Quote Originally Posted by Realtalk View Post
    A population 3 million less than California. Only 35 million people. Much harder if more than 3% of the area of your country was actually populated by more than moose and beaver.
    Nothing wrong with beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Hey Canada, welcome to what the entirity of Scandinavia and central Europe have been doing the last decade. You know how arrogant and snobby you come off as, right? "Oh I wish you were as good as us, cus we're doing something European countries have been doing for years".
    Welcome to Tennisace threads and comments. I mean he/she literally had the audacity to claim that Canada didn't have wrong site or incorrectly performed surgeries or that Canada had less sexual assault than the UK. It's always this "look at us we're great" and in reality they're behind the times.

It is not gonna happen anytime soon. South Korea only averages 29.1 Mbps, and is far ahead of #2. Canada is not even in the top 10.

How many countries have 100% access to internet with at least 50mbps ??
    Not Canada.