Page 1 of 17
... LastLast

Has my dad gone too far with politics?

Has my dad gone too far with politics, or is this behavior normal?

1. Refuses to be friends with anyone that voted for Trump.
    2. Refuses to be friends with anyone that watches "Fox News".
    3. Every night is a drunken curse-fest while watching "MSNBC" political news.
    4. Has cut-off relationships with two of my older brothers because they voted for Trump.
    5. Has cut-off other relationships, both at work and online, as a result of them voting for Trump.

There's more but I can't remember atm.

Why is it going too far if you don't want to associate with people who has views you do not share and find troublesome?

Yes. My own dad logged onto Facebook after the Trump win and just ATTACKED me and my friends. Calling us losers and telling us to move to Canada. My dad. Your family shouldn't be treating you like you're trash just because you have different views. On anything. I unfriended both him and my brother (who was also attacking), and blocked my dad. I haven't talked to any of them since, and my mother is heartbroken about it, but she understands. She told them to stop (My brothers live with my parents still, I live alone) and they just laughed at her.

So yes. He has gone too far. Cutting off family? Because of who they voted for? What kind of bull is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennu View Post
    Why is it going too far if you don't want to associate with people who has views you do not share and find troublesome?
    Because its clearly interfering with his life and family relationships.

Seems like he has especially getting drunk every night and watching cable television. Also cutting off talking to his own sons seems like he is pretty brainwashed at this point.

True. There's more to life than politics though.

Damn, both campaigns sure left you guys divided. I wouldn't even defriend someone unless they would literally vote for 100% full blown out fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    Because its clearly interfering with his life and family relationships.
    So you'd rather he be exposing himself to people who he finds to be toxic because of their opinions because it's interfering with people who have those opinions he thinks are troublesome?

I've been called a racist + sexist because I wasn't "disturbed" by Trump being president (I didn't even vote for him). This (and your dad) is not normal behavior. I really hope it doesn't become normal.

So you'd rather he be exposing himself to people who he finds to be toxic because of their opinions because it's interfering with people who have those opinions he thinks are troublesome?
    He needs to grow the fuck up, theyre his kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    He has his own reasons and responsibilities for disallowing friendly relationships with people he disagrees with. Certainly, from a ordinary standpoint it seems to have gone way too far, but he and only he (and the rest of us) can decide whomever you want to hang out with.

Sounds quite selfish, though, right before Christmas to discontinue the relationships, especially within family. Hopefully he comes to his senses when he sees that having Donald Trump, Mr. President, as the navigator for the USA for the nest four years isn't really so bad as he thought it would.
    I, for one, hope he releases his mistakes and try to reconnect with everyone.

pretty much everyone into politics has gone too damn far with politics over the last year or so.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering it can't be changed, it is kinda dumb. Just don't talk politics with people?

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenik View Post
    He needs to grow the fuck up, theyre his kids.
    I didn't know that being someones kids meant they were immune to that parents dislike.

Yes. He is just running from his own problems. Plus politics isn't that serious.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't know that being someones kids meant they were immune to that parents dislike.
    Disallowing your own children because they voted for another candidate is a childish manner of behavior and he should handle it like an adult and accept people have different opinions, whether those are "toxic" or not.

Quote Originally Posted by solidstate101 View Post

4. Has cut-off relationships with two of my older brothers because they voted for Trump.
    5. Has cut-off other relationships, both at work and online, as a result of them voting for Trump.

This can't be true can it?

It reads like someone is trying to make fun of liberals.

Anyways, I would get your Dad "The Art of the Deal" written by Donald Trump. Please record your Dad opening this gift and upload it on youtube and share it here at MMO-C.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalene View Post
    Disallowing your own children because they voted for another candidate is a childish manner of behavior and he should handle it like an adult and accept people have different opinions, whether those are "toxic" or not.
    It wasn't just another candidate though. It's trump.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solidstate101 View Post

Sounds like the actions of a child.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I say he hasn't gone too far enough.
    Uhhh... uhhhhhh... like...what? *scared*