Poll: What will be Trump's biggest Geopolitical challenge in 2017?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

What will be Trump's biggest geopolitical challenge in 2017?

There are many hot topics to choose from. Please pick one and explain.

I am picking North Korea. I find the situation there is deteriorating more day by day especially when they are openly threatening USA with destruction and openly pushing for an ICBM that could reach continental USA. North Korea will need to be dealt with one way or another sooner or later. In my opinion they are the #1 threat to the United States as their leader seems very irrational and the person that could go "all in" w/t thinking the consequences.
    Last edited by Ulmita; 2017-01-01 at 10:41 AM.

The World
    /10char.
    I'm a Kitsune! Not a cat, or a mutt!

NK is a joke.
    Trump's an egomaniac that can't even stop boasting about his victory at every opportunity. His biggest struggle will be on home turf, considering his proposed train wreck cabinet.

Last edited by Sorshen; 2017-01-01 at 10:48 AM.

He will have problems with all of them. And by his track record so far many more new ones no one considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post

I am picking North Korea. I find the situation there is deteriorating more day by day especially when they are openly threatening USA with destruction and openly pushing for an ICBM that could reach continental USA. North Korea will need to be dealt with one way or another sooner or later. In my opinion they are the #1 threat to the United States as their leader seems very irrational and the person that could go "all in" w/t thinking the consequences.
    North Korea is a paper tiger. They've been pulling the same schtick for years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Expanding his own vocabulary skills.
    He's got the best words though

- - - Updated - - -

OT: His biggest problem is going to be checking his ego at the door when it comes to dealing with the Leaders of other Countries.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I'm not sure about the biggest, but the first will probably be cleaning up the mess that Obama/Kerry/etc are hellbent on making as they throw their toys out of the pram in their final parting shot(s). Luckily, however, Putin/Netanyahu/etc don't seem to be taking the bait.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    North Korea is a paper tiger. They've been pulling the same schtick for years.

- - - Updated - - -

He's got the best words though

- - - Updated - - -

OT: His biggest problem is going to be checking his ego at the door when it comes to dealing with the Leaders of other Countries.
    He cannot leave his ego at the door. He is ego is so fragile it's almost unbelievable.

Reading the map.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

7+ Year Old Account
    Unmaking the terrible Iran deal.

Not publishing military secrets on Twitter.

This thread will be hilarious.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

Deleted
    Israel is flaring up atm, so that could become an issue. He says hes gonna revert all that stuff but that might not be realistic to actually do, depends how much he listens to experts on the matter i guess. Iran largely in the same boat, could become an issue if he wants to go against advisors.

Russia and China are more slow burners, don't think too much will happen with those.

Honestly maybe it'll be Mexico that becomes an issue, hes not gonna build that wall but he might still piss em off somehow. maybe not a huge geopolitical issue in the strictest sense but they are right next door so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post

North Korea is a total joke

Quote Originally Posted by Zolaris192 View Post
    North Korea is a total joke
    Nukes on hands of a lunatic is not a joke. There are a lot of voices claiming the same thing:

The Time for 'Strategic Patience' Is Over. Donald Trump Must Confront North Korea.

EACH OF the last three presidents has arrived in the White House to find a terrifying file on his desk entitled “North Korea,” full of grim warnings about an isolated hermit kingdom bent on developing nuclear weapons that could reach the continental United States. Each was urged to do everything in his power to prevent this nightmare. Yet each ultimately chose to look the other way and relegate North Korea to the category of future problems that someone else will have to deal with. They all tried some mixture of negotiations and sanctions to persuade the North Korean regime to back off. And when that failed, they simply played for time, hoping Pyongyang would eventually return to the table for serious talks. The Obama administration even devised a name for waiting it out—“strategic patience.”

Donald Trump will have no such luxury. Given all the other problems and crises that will fall into his lap, he too will be tempted to downgrade North Korea to the second tier. But Trump will not be able to punt. This time, it really is different. After five nuclear tests, a flurry of missile launches—some failures, but some at least partial successes—and advances in warhead miniaturization, North Korea’s nuclear program now has a critical mass that can no longer be avoided. James Clapper, the outgoing director of national intelligence, gave the game away last month when he admitted that getting North Korea to give up its nuclear program was now “a lost cause.” Nuclear weapons, he admitted, are “their ticket to survival.”
    http://nationalinterest.org/feature/...confront-18864

Once they manage to wield a nuclear warhead on an ICBM the tension meter will go beyond red.

His biggest challenge will be the undoing the overall damage Barrack Hussein Obama caused.

But specifically about the poll - China. The rest are solvable obstacles, but China is a mountain - created by the US and the western world as a whole. It is a gigantic factor that must be reckoned with.

With that said China doesn't have to be an enemy. But "we" made them big and now if we want to contain them it's not going to be smooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

Deleted
    None of the above are really geopolitical matters.

Geopolitic =/= diplomacy.
    Exploiting oil in Artic or constructing a wall at the border are geopolitical matters.

So I guess the poll concerns rather the biggest foreign issue challenge.

I would say Russia.
    Trump want to streghten links with Russia. Russia is becoming bolder and bolder and interfers in USA election. The congress is massivly opposed to that idea. Now that the time of the election and the "I don't care if they are doing illegal stuff as long as I win" is now over, every decision Trump will take will be heavily discussed.

Concerning North Korea, a country with a cult of personnality, entirely focused on military and nuclear developpement which antagonised the rest of the world is not a joke. It's a ticking bomb quite litteraly.
    There is a chance of revolution as always but it does not seem to happen anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by HolgerDK View Post
    This thread will be hilarious.
    Yes. My bet is that it will either peter out without making big waves or become kind of the 'best of' to all the other Trump threads.

Deleted
    Being played like a fiddle by Putin

Honestly, NATO. Trump represents a wide departure from NATO expansionism and other ultra vires agendas of a treaty group that's central purpose -- a shield against the Soviet Union -- ran its course 25 years ago. Getting permanent NATO bureaucracy, which is sort of its own runaway train at this point, on the page where the US isn't being dragged into a war in Ukraine, a non-NATO member, and on the page that NATO needs to get a clearer sense of what it's legitimate purpose and interests are (and maybe start booting countries that have interests and purposes hostile to the rest, like Turkey), will be his biggest geopolitical challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    Expanding his vocabulary skills.
    This 10/char