Page 1 of 44
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

Why so much hate towards people who want their meat well done?

I don't understand it. They're acting as if I've killed their family or something when I want my meat well done. Why is this?

I think it's far tastier to have it well done than if it it's medium like most people seem to want it.

a lot of people are snobs

Because it's god damned sacrilege.

Only question I have for you: Do you put sauce on your steak? Because that is the most common thing that people do when they like well-done steaks/meat.

Deleted
    Tastes, biggest non topic ever.

As long as you don't eat tofu next to my steak you'll be fine.

Honestly it's your piece if you like it better that way and have at least tried a medium fine for me.

I for example like my sausages not boiled (if at all then grilled) in Bavaria that makes me a freak.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Because it defeats the purpose of eating a good steak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why people get angry? Well because they're told too. Honestly I prefer a medium well, just a light pink. Anything medium and under is far to fleshy for me and I think it is gross. Well done tends to dry out meat, make it tough to chew and the null the taste yada yada, it varies with meat.

I mean, if you like eating shoe leather...

Granted there are some cuts where I'm OK with or even like well done, like the outer parts of a roast where you can really taste the rub/seasoning, but- for many meat eaters (steaks especially), tenderness is one the most desired qualities of the best cuts of meat, and cooking one of those cuts to well trades the tenderness for toughness.

Ground meats, however, should really be cooked through.

Quote Originally Posted by Noogai131 View Post
    Because it's god damned sacrilege.
    Seriously - just because I want my meat cooked, suddenly it becomes a critical issue of your existence ?

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

7+ Year Old Account
    the least you could do for the cow that died for you is to enjoy its meat, not ruin it

Some cuts are too expensive and not well suited for well done. Paying a cut 50 bucks a pound and cooking it well done is a waste. It will taste exactly like a less expensive cut cooked well done. Thats the only time id object well done, it simply makes someone waste money for something they arent making use of.

There just no point cooking a tenderloin well done. Cooking it that way will nulify the fact that its expensive tenderloin. You could drop the price and cook something else well done for the exact same taste and texture.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-01-01 at 11:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Some cuts are too expensive and not well suited for well done. Paying a cut 50 bucks a pound and cooking it it well done is a waste. It will taste exactly like a less expensive cut cooked well done.
    I would wager most people who like their meat well done, like myself, aren't buying expensive as fuck cuts of meat.

Like when I say "I like my steak well done" and people get super offended... The steak I am referring to is like $6/lb ribeye or something...

I don't get it either tbh. While I don't care for stake, I do like my burgers medium. I don't get anything out of a stake, maybe it's because I've never had one that was so amazing that it becomes my favorite thing to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I would wager most people who like their meat well done, like myself, aren't buying expensive as fuck cuts of meat.

Like when I say "I like my steak well done" and people get super offended... The steak I am referring to is like $6/lb ribeye or something...
    By all means! Like i said personally id only object if it was one of a expensive cut. Like tenderloin, wagyu, filet mignon, porterhouse. Everything else is fair game as well done, they will all end up tasting about the same.

Hell if i invite someone and i tell them im making tenderloin and they say they can only eat well done. Id just switch it to ribeye probably or cut into a tbone lol. Wouldnt make a difference and i save money.
    Last edited by minteK917; 2017-01-01 at 11:40 AM.

Are there actually people who get mad about this?

That was a stupid question.

I think well done beef is usually associated with underdeveloped, or undiscerning palate and/or poor constitution (i.e. this isn't leather, so I shall be sick). I'd probably encourage someone to at least try steak that's med rare or at least medium, but I'm also not their father, so it's not up to me if they don't want to.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Some cuts are too expensive and not well suited for well done. Paying a cut 50 bucks a pound and cooking it well done is a waste. It will taste exactly like a less expensive cut cooked well done. Thats the only time id object well done, it simply makes someone waste money for something they arent making use of.

There just no point cooking a tenderloin well done. Cooking it that way will nulify the fact that its expensive tenderloin. You could drop the price and cook something else well done for the exact same taste and texture.
    What I find more ridiculous is paying 50$ for a piece of meat.
    People should eat whatever food they buy, the way they like.

7+ Year Old Account
    Be happy you don't live in France then. The only thing I can ask to eat in a restaurant is white meat. You can eat your well done red meat at home

Quote Originally Posted by Tronald Dump View Post
    What I find more ridiculous is paying 50$ for a piece of meat.
    People should eat whatever food they buy, the way they like.
    Well yes if they want to make that $50 a pound cut taste like $6 cut, people are free to do so. Im also free to think its pretty dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tomyris View Post
    Be happy you don't live in France then. The only thing I can ask to eat in a restaurant is white meat. You can eat your well done red meat at home
    A sensible policy for some restaurants.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because you ruin it. Why you might ask? Facts.

"Juicier. At medium rare or medium, red meat only loses up to 20% of its juices. With well done meat, the meat loses up to 45%. That’s more than double the amount of juiciness just gone, a tragedy for expensive cuts and steaks."

"More tender meat. Well done meat eaters know, their steaks are pretty darn tough. So they either drown their steaks in sauces, or even do things like apply tenderizer to the meat before cooking. Why? Because as meat is cooked to well done its muscle fibers toughen up significantly. Cuts for steak are naturally tender and will remain that way, as long as you don’t overcook them. Keep them medium rare to medium and the meat will practically melt in your mouth."

"More flavorful meat. The hallmark of meat’s flavor, especially red meat, is in its fat. At temperatures of around 140 °F, fat just begins to melt and soften. Continue cooking to well done at 160 °F, however, and much of that fat render out of the meat leading to even more moisture loss and what was soft and delectable at 140 °F will become rubbery and tough. Cooking meat to only medium rare or medium at the most means juicier most flavorful meat."

Clickbait...No sane fucking person would ever want a well done steak.
    Shadow Priest Wýcked <Incarnate> Nerzhul
    Death Knight Yzf <RX> Lethon
    Boomkin Yzf <Incarnate> Nerzhul