Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    When you're in a situation where all you need is a place to sleep for the night for little money, paying 25-30 bucks for a capsule with WiFi, TV, wall socket to charge your phone from, free access to a large public bath & sauna and readily available food for a reasonable price doesn't strike me as a bad thing.
    The issue is that they've become full time residences for some people due to Tokyo property prices.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    It's not just japan. Since the rise of ever larger farms, the US has had/is having troubles too. Many small communities are collapsing across the midwest.
    And If I am not mistaken we already VASTLY overproduce and waste a lot of food. I mean sure yes we could excess all surplus and feed the world but I am guessing that will never happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Building upwards. At Manhattan or Singapore density the entire population of the planet could live in Texas.
    Damn Manhattans and Singaporeans with their earthquake-immune super towers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    What would be the incentive for home builders to build those sky scrappers if they cant charge market value gor those homes?
    Because 'market value' is entirely arbitrary and often strays into the realm of unreasonable obscenity, especially for real estate. See: Australia.

You still didnt answer how proce and rent control would solve the lack of affordable housing issue
    Given the capsule homes thing is a function of price, it follows that adequate caps or subsidies would alleviate the need for them.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    I've read this. Can I move to Australia in advance?

Quote Originally Posted by Nakloh View Post
    Damn Manhattans and Singaporeans with their earthquake-immune super towers.
    Well, Manhattan's basically a solid piece of bedrock. It's so solid that the subway system basically creates low-grade earthquakes throughout the city all the time and nobody really notices if you're a resident.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    And If I am not mistaken we already VASTLY overproduce and waste a lot of food. I mean sure yes we could excess all surplus and feed the world but I am guessing that will never happen.
    Not talking about food production. Talking about rural population centers collapsing and having problems like you said japan was having. Just saying that the US is having the same problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Not talking about food production. Talking about rural population centers collapsing and having problems like you said japan was having. Just saying that the US is having the same problems.
    Oh, earlier my idea of a solution would be offering these people some "free," land to just subsistence farm or do whatever. At least their not cramped up like that.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Oh, earlier my idea of a solution would be offering these people some "free," land to just subsistence farm or do whatever. At least their not cramped up like that.
    Most people can deal with cramped living conditions, especially if they believe that better days are ahead. Not many could handle reverting to subsistence farming, that's a level of struggle and hardship that first worlders have not had to deal with in a hundred years.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    Most people can deal with cramped living conditions, especially if they believe that better days are ahead. Not many could handle reverting to subsistence farming, that's a level of struggle and hardship that first worlders have not had to deal with in a hundred years.
    With the current status of capitalism, is there much hope of that future payout?

So I guess the solution is... get more immigrants so we can live in human chicken coops ad infinitum?

Quote Originally Posted by Raskayz View Post
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/02/bu...sule.html?_r=0

Kinda old, but still terribly relevant.

TLDR Japan's recession has lead impoverished workers to live in capsule hotels, which are basically the human sized version of a chicken coop.

Keep in mind Japan does not have any large scale immigration to blame for its problems.

This is our future
    I'm sure impoverished workers in Japan had it great in 1925.