Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noogai131 View Post
    The Australian dollar for one has been fairly stable for the last 4 years. We're not doing well, but we're stable. I believe the Yen is also one of the most stable currencies in the world as well.

Fact is the US currency shifts up and down at the drop of the hat, ESPECIALLY during an election cycle.
    But the pound lost to the AUD since the vote...
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    They have time to get it together. As Brexit reflects terribly on the current ruling party, you can expect a reaction from the public.
    Next elections is a maximum of 3 years and 4 months away. Labor have so far burnt almost 2 years fighting themselves and unless Corbyn can be seen to win and win big in the by-elections they will also waist this year as well and continue allowing the Tories to effectively operate without a proper opposition. I'll concede that there's a small chance he could turn it around but everything I've seen so far says his odds are going down not up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    Like?

/10char
    The Norwegian krona and the Polish zloty. Or frankly any mayor currency other than USD. You have to compare them in relative strengths, not absolute values.

You both mention AUD, but as you see the pound in comparison is stronger now than it was before 2014. These things go in cycles.

And again, the USD is increasing a lot for everyone (well, almost everyone), not just the british.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2017-01-17 at 11:25 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    The Norwegian krona and the Polish zloty. Or frankly any mayor currency other than USD. You have to compare them in relative strengths, not absolute values.

You both mention AUD, but as you see the pound in comparison is stronger now than it was before 2014. These things go in cycles.

And again, the USD is increasing a lot for everyone (well, almost everyone), not just the british.
    The pound was weaker to the AUD before 2014.

This is all nice to talk about, but how much does the UK trade in krona or zloty?
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Don't forget, this is the drop when basically nothing is known.
    For market not knowing is actually worse than knowing. I think its one of these things people dont seems to get. Its why i was kinda laughing at people claiming USD would tank because of Trump, even if i am anti Trump. That shit is literally feelings, its not a science. Insecurity is the biggest enemy

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm physically shaking in my chair right now. The potential issue of more red tape when hiring immigrants, now, has me terrified. Brits definitely would have been better off continuing to sacrifice their ability to govern themselves for the sake of cutting down on the amount of red tape needed when hiring immigrants. The fools!

What a loud of crap that article is: fear mongering at best. "Brits better be ready in case more red tape is required when hiring immigrants!" Absolutely terrifying!

This is all nice to talk about, but how much does the UK trade in krona or zloty?
    Still, a global issue, not just a British one.

15+ Year Old Account
    Still, a global issue, not just a British one.
    Not for british imports. I mean, if the pound drops compared to USD and EURO then what does it help if it´s stable against krona and zloty?

Not for british imports. I mean, if the pound drops compared to USD and EURO then what does it help if it´s stable against krona and zloty?
    It doesn't (it's only so you can see that Brexit hasn't caused some insane drop (a temporary pretty minor one that is already going up again)). But the major problem is not with the pound, it's with the dollar. The pound would be in a bad situation compared to the dollar regardless of Brexit.

Honestly, you'd have to look for other currencies. Norwegian krona has been through some turmoil with the oil price changes and the Polish zloty is influenced by political turmoil. The Yen is probably the best bet; even the Swiss Franc had a big change of value once their central bank stopped fixating the exchange rate.

Pandaren Monk
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Pretty sure the immigration changes aren't meant to be helping big business, they're meant to be helping the individual workers. Because this...

"Trickle down economics" or the idea that "a rising tide raises all boats" are provenly false. Completely unrestricted immigration probably does help the country's wealth as a whole, but it also fucks over the individual workers (including any migrants wanting to actually settle in the country) and will only continue to increase the wealth divide.

I know everyone likes to think that the whole working class are just lazy racists that don't want foreigners to do jobs that they don't plan on doing themselves (as they'd rather get the dole obviously ) but if you really believe that then you're just buying the anti-working-class propaganda that this country has been generating since Thatcher.
    Then please tell me how a massive influx of low wage, low skill workers are a benefit to the already low wage, low skill workforce in the host country. I call bullshit.

That's not "trickle down economics" that's just fucking common sense. Also, you cannot have a completely unrestricted immigration in a welfare state.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    I'm physically shaking in my chair right now. The potential issue of more red tape when hiring immigrants, now, has me terrified. Brits definitely would have been better off continuing to sacrifice their ability to govern themselves for the sake of cutting down on the amount of red tape needed when hiring immigrants. The fools!

What a loud of crap that article is: fear mongering at best. "Brits better be ready in case more red tape is required when hiring immigrants!" Absolutely terrifying!
    Should be.

Hospitals need more nurses and doctors. Britain doesn't produce enough. When the red tape comes in there will be a shortfall, which in turn means higher waiting times, people getting pushed abck more. Now we could (and should) train more but that takes years to do. Those starting now won't be ready for 5 years or more. So we have to look elsewhere and low and behold those needed doctors and nurses are going to have to jump through needless hoops to get here. When free movement was good for everyone not too lazy to move. Being born where you are does not make you a superior species worthy of more rights or work entitlements than someone who is likely better and cheaper than you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Should be.

Hospitals need more nurses and doctors. Britain doesn't produce enough. When the red tape comes in there will be a shortfall, which in turn means higher waiting times, people getting pushed abck more. Now we could (and should) train more but that takes years to do. Those starting now won't be ready for 5 years or more. So we have to look elsewhere and low and behold those needed doctors and nurses are going to have to jump through needless hoops to get here. When free movement was good for everyone not too lazy to move.
    I'm not interested in talking about specific job roles. I was specifically speaking at the hyperbole of the article in the first post. Hypothetical red type; the article is talking about what may or may not happen. Whose to say the process for bringing in higher skilled labor won't be made easier? No one at this point because the process is still being worked out.

I don't disagree that more red tape could be an issue. What I take issue with is that the article is based on "feelings" and is using those feelings to instill fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Being born where you are does not make you a superior species worthy of more rights or work entitlements than someone who is likely better and cheaper than you.
    No argument from me.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Hypothetical red type; the article is talking about what may or may not happen. Whose to say the process for bringing in higher skilled labor won't be made easier?
    Non UK nationals will need visas to visit/work in the UK, since there will no longer be free movement of people
    UK nationals will need visas to visit/work in Europe, since there will no longer be free movement of people

maybe there will be an easier process to bring labour into the UK vs the free movement system we have already? lol good luck with that
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2017-01-18 at 01:22 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    maybe there will be an easier process to bring labour into the UK vs the free movement system we have already? lol good luck with that
    As easy? Probably not. Easy enough that there is no noticeable impediment to bringing the necessary skilled labor force into the country? Possibly. Either way, some guy writing an article filled with scare tactics certainly isn't going to sway my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotFunny008 View Post
    The problem with that kind of thinking is that without the financial workers, the local sandwich shops, the local pubs, the local restaurants in/near the financial district will all be going out of business. The electricians, the plumbers, the security staffs, the janitors that the banks hired would all be out of work. There is a whole ecosystem connected to the financial services. Also with those financial workers gone, the UK is going lose a sizable tax income from them. Stop being so myopic!
    The UK will still have an important financial services sector based in London. Some companies will relocate, some will open up divisions within an EU nation to channel business through, but London has such a mature and experienced market that no EU nation can hope to compete for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    My life might be a bit 'slightly harder' but I only think about myself.

Good old Tory boy.
    Most people will be fine and likely won't even notice much difference long term, was my point.

I probably will be affected more than most British people, but I am not unduly concerned about Brexit, as where there is change there is opportunity. Glass half full and all that.

The UK has 'full' employment. Immigration is fine.
    Tell that to all the working class chaps who voted to leave, due to them thinking that current immigration levels and the subsequent race-to-the-bottom competition for employment, are not fine.

This shit is smokes and mirrors for massive ideological driven change from the one nation Tories now they have an open cheque to change the UK.
    Our time has come!*

Not sure how Brexit can be seen as a stepping stone in some One Nation Tory dastardly plan, as most supported Remain, including myself.

*Technically One Nation Conservatives have been in power for about a third of the last 150 years, but this time is even more our time than those other times.

Hopefully this will lead to her and her party being voted out of office.
    For giving the British people what they voted for in the referendum?

They have time to get it together. As Brexit reflects terribly on the current ruling party, you can expect a reaction from the public.
    Theresa May is currently the most popular politician in the UK. And by some distance.

Ed Balls is the second most popular, mainly due to him not having a great deal to do with politics at the moment and wearing sequinned costumes.

The Labour Party is a joke, it is in the midst of a civil war, with a leader (in the loosest sense of the term) whose idea of a Golden Age is seemingly 1920s Russia. They recently contested a by-election in which their candidate polled a lower number of votes than the party has members in that constituency. A good outcome for them from a snap General Election would be to still exist.

As for the others, well the Lib Dems haven't got enough MPs to make a football team, UKIP and the Greens only have one MP each, Northern Irish and Welsh parties are also too small to be relevant. The only major party with the political unity to be potential candidates as an effective opposition are the Scottish nationalists, who are hampered by the fact that there aren't very many Scottish people and so can't realistically expect to get any more seats in Parliament.

At least yesterdays speech finally added some clarity to our position...ish. I'm not exactly sure what "frictionless access to The Single Market" means but we finally admitted that we can't be in it as a member if we want to tighten up on immigration so that was good. The deregulated tax haven threat is a shit idea though, if you thought the working class was in a race to the bottom now with competition from immigrants then you aint seen nothing yet if we deregulate businesses, Mike Ashley will be happy with it I'm sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what "frictionless access to The Single Market" means
    No access would also mean no friction

The only certain thing: no one has a bloody clue.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

1.) 99,9% of people who are worried because of the immigration isn't worried because they care about small businesses, they are worried because they care about society. So fake fearmongering like this wont really scare them...

2.) There is a thing called "controlled immigration". You know, when you offer settlement permit/citizenship for those who qualify based on their education/skills/age etc. Opening the border and flooding the country with illiterate welfare leeches isn't the only option to help small businesses
    Last edited by Vilendor; 2017-01-18 at 09:24 AM.