Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    PBS doesnt play anything other dumb boring movies on masterpiece theater, Lawrence Welk (Which nobody under 80 watches), telethons begging for money, and stupid BBC shows like Fawlty Towers. Id rather the funding go to CSPAN to broadcast senate and house hearings.

The National Endowment for the Arts is also a waste of money. Why should taxpayers pay to operate a building and pay for a bunch of stupid paintings and sculptures just for snooty people to look at
    You know what is more of a waste in money....wanting to build a useless fucken wall.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    Here's the joyous part!

You do realize that PBS is always in the middle of a pledge drive right? You do realize you are as perfectly free to give them all the money you wish right? You'll even get a tote bag!

Now, what you don't have the right to do is demand other citizens fund what you like when you're not willing to pay for it out of your own pocket.

PBS is the perfect example of voluntary taxation. You like it? You want to support it? Pay for it.

Nothing stops you from opening up your check book or giving them your credit card number.
    I couldnt have said it netter myself. You want PBS, then send them money and pay for it. Dont expect me to do it for you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Daily reminder the Orlong is a self-admitted caricature.
    Incorrect!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    NPR would be a huge loss, it's by far one of the best free sources of news out there.

PBS has educational programming for children like Sesame Street. Also shows like Reading Rainbow before it went off the air, iirc.
    Sesame Street is gone too. Its on HBO now

10+ Year Old Account
    Dumb thing to defund. Leave it alone, it doesn't take that much funding.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

You guys are just getting silly now. I mean, I know the left like to have a boogey monster that you can scare each other with, but this Trump obsession is getting out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Sesame Street is gone too. Its on HBO now
    Wtf! Well I don't watch TV so I don't know about anything else redeeming about PBS.

Public access to C-SPAN is a good idea, possibly incorporated into current PBS programming. With web access.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    You guys are just getting silly now. I mean, I know the left like to have a boogey monster that you can scare each other with, but this Trump obsession is getting out of hand.
    The fuck are you on about now?

7+ Year Old Account
    Can't say that I disagree. Why should my taxes subsidize art? If someone wants to paint/sculpt/etc, have at it, and I'll defend your right to create whatever you want as free speech. It's not a vital thing like healthcare or a military, so funding it should be voluntary. Same for the NEH and PBS.
    " The guilt of an unnecessary war is terrible." --- President John Adams
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams
    " Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    After 8 years of Communist Kenyan Muslim that wants to put everyone into FEMA camps, it's refreshing to see actual shit to be worried about, like defunding public programs.

Quote Originally Posted by Berengil View Post
    Can't say that I disagree. Why should my taxes subsidize art? If someone wants to paint/sculpt/etc, have at it. It's not a vital thing like healthcare or a military, so funding it should be voluntary. Same for the NEH and PBS.
    Cultures are defined and remembered by their art. Much of the art we measure humanity by today was paid for by government.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Cultures are defined and remembered by their art. Much of the art we measure humanity by today was paid for by government.
    So? I could not give less of a sht than i do right now about funding someone's art. I do not care what someone thinks of me 500 years from now. taxes should be for vital things: food stamps, military, sewers, health care. Not frivolous, unnecessary nonsense.
    " America goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy." --- President John Quincy Adams

Time to get real. The government has been running large deficits for years. This can't go on. We need to cut something.

What Trump is going after is largely stuff that government doesn't need to be involved in or is better handled through other means. Why does government need to support art? That can be accomplished through private citizens. CPB is being spun off into a gov't corporation like the post office (that's another can of works, but it will at least be more self-sufficient).

If you don't like what's being cut, suggest other things.

So? I could not give less of a sht than i do right now about funding someone's art. I do not care what someone thinks of me 500 years from now. taxes should be for vital things: food stamps, military, sewers, health care. Not frivolous, unnecessary nonsense.
    Then bully for you. "Vital" is entirely subjective. A single given fighter jet isn't vital, but we spend more on a single one than the NEAs entire yearly budget.

Can't say that I disagree. Why should my taxes subsidize art? If someone wants to paint/sculpt/etc, have at it, and I'll defend your right to create whatever you want as free speech. It's not a vital thing like healthcare or a military, so funding it should be voluntary. Same for the NEH and PBS.
    I don't know, why do my taxes go to subsidize your state?

Quote Originally Posted by Exedore View Post
    Time to get real. The government has been running large deficits for years. This can't go on. We need to cut something.
    Cutting the NEA or PBS to fix the deficit is a joke.

Military, Cut it by at lease half.

Cutting these program's does NOTHING. You are putting a band aid over a gunshot wound.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

7+ Year Old Account
    Then bully for you. "Vital" is entirely subjective. A single given fighter jet isn't vital, but we spend more on a single one than the NEAs entire yearly budget.
    In this case, I don't think vital is subjective. You don't need paintings or sculpture to look at, or music to listen to. Clean water, sanitation, soldiers to defend you, food to eat: these things are indisputably vital.

In this case, I don't think vital is subjective. You don't need paintings or sculpture to look at, or music to listen to. Clean water, sanitation, soldiers to defend you, food to eat: these things are indisputably vital.
    You ignored the point entirely and just repeated your premise. We spend more money on things that will rust in the desert without ever being used than we do on art.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I don't know, why do my taxes go to subsidize your state?
    I'm not sure i understand what you mean. As for myself, I have a great job and only took government assistance in my early 20s when i was in college.

- - - Updated - - -

You ignored the point entirely and just repeated your premise. We spend more money on things that will rust in the desert without ever being used than we do on art.
    I don't see that I ignored the point. I dismiss it as irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    We could start with not handing out gigantic tax breaks to the wealthiest Americans.
    No no, better cut the Arts.

I mean, the only culture we really need is a pair of truck nuts.

What Trump is going after is largely stuff that government doesn't need to be involved in or is better handled through other means. Why does government need to support art? That can be accomplished through private citizens. CPB is being spun off into a gov't corporation like the post office (that's another can of works, but it will at least be more self-sufficient).

Yep. Oh noes, government wont fund my art. Let me quit being an artist! Support your own damned art. The government doesn't need to pay for your art.