Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Obsidian teasing Pillars of Eternity 2

They've started a countdown on their homepage that will lead to the announcement of the game. Text above the countdown reads...

"Come then, Watcher, and watch. Behold the hands that quench the fires of Hel."

Edit:- Fig Page for the game

Last edited by Demoncrash; 2017-01-26 at 06:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Reminds me, I still need to finish the DLC for Pillars.

I did enjoy what they did with Pillars, but I hope they make some more memorable characters, side quests, and main plot if this is PoE 2. For me, PoE was fun to play, but I never really cared about the world or characters.
    SWTOR Friend Referral Code: http://www.swtor.com/r/kg3Sch

Good. I hope it'll be of the same quality as the first and actually improve now. Tyranny was let down sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    I was hoping for them doing NV 2 (man can dream) but that's also great. I just hope they will write better main story this time, since as cool as PoE was, i can't recall what the hell was its main story about (other than a guy in a weird hat).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I was hoping for them doing NV 2 (man can dream) but that's also great. I just hope they will write better main story this time, since as cool as PoE was, i can't recall what the hell was its main story about (other than a guy in a weird hat).
    The big reveal at the end *SHOULD* have been revealed earlier, since it would have made things a lot more interesting.

But yes, the announcement is PoE2: Deadfire. Polygon released the info early by accident apparently. Its going to follow the story of that big statue in your keep (if you did the dungeon quest) and it turns out to be a God that you have to chase down.

I liked the story actually quite a bit. I mean it was a bit esotheric I guess, being about souls, rebirth and all that. I can't remember anyone in a weird hat though. I wish there would have been more time to immerse yourself in the story before everything goes to shit in the second act if I wanted to improve something. The items were also mostly meh tbh (and I hated the new version of the spell system, I liked the first one a lot better before the patch).

I hope they don't make it dull and boring with attempts of overbalancing it like Pillars of Eternity.

God was that game wasted potential.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I'm hoping for more original projects like Tyranny rather than sequels. PoE was good, but it felt like a very safe and standard CRPG, and my interest trailed off before I could get through it. The more unique premise of Tyranny sucked me in way harder right from the start.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    The big reveal at the end *SHOULD* have been revealed earlier, since it would have made things a lot more interesting.

The problem for me was that while side quests were really cool and unique, and often time making great use of entire "see dead/talk to dead" gimmick but then main quests really feels like combination of "that's a great coincidence" combined with chasing random super generic evil wizard/cult leader guy who throws a super deep philosophy/ideology filled dialogue at the very end of the game. He really needed more development and depth during the game, rather than just being (clearly) portrayed as the bad guy who does bad things.

That being said, i really liked white march part of the game, mostly because im big sucker for icewind dale (and those hammer guys had cool design).

Wtf, can't they get their own funding? It's not like they produce total garbage at every turn..

first game was very fun, although very hard

Just stay away from the "invest" option peoples.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Good. I hope it'll be of the same quality as the first and actually improve now. Tyranny was let down sadly.
    I thought Tyranny was an improvement in a lot of areas

Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    Well, I didn't care about a single person or anything that happened in that game because everyone was already set up for failure. There was just no investment in any of the characters, which is a huge no go for me in an RPG. At least your party folks need to matter a bit.. it was good for one playthrough, but I wouldn't bother with playing it once more. The differences are neglectible from what I read..

10+ Year Old Account
    Wtf, can't they get their own funding? It's not like they produce total garbage at every turn..
    I *heard* that companies have been hopping on board the Kickstarter train less because they need your money, and more because it looks really good to investors who will fund the remainder of the game.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. I loved Tyranny up until the end. Its got its own set of unique problems, but overall I really enjoyed it (more the PoE).

Well, I didn't care about a single person or anything that happened in that game because everyone was already set up for failure. There was just no investment in any of the characters, which is a huge no go for me in an RPG. At least your party folks need to matter a bit.. it was good for one playthrough, but I wouldn't bother with playing it once more. The differences are neglectible from what I read..
    I guess. I really enjoyed the world building and lore in general in Tyranny more than in PoE. Plus I liked the perspective of playing a character that wasn't a coming of age story like so many RPG's have. And even though the encounters became pretty easy toward the end, I liked the combat in Tyranny more (the spell crafting was pretty cool). I don't want to shit on PoE though, I greatly enjoyed that as well.

Making a game is massive financial risk, Obsidian has struggled with money in the distant and recent past quite a lot and and with Obsidian's past experiences of other publishers, it's only understandable that they'd seek alternative ways of financing their products.

Now, whetever to back up games or not is entirely up to person and I tend to scoff at most people going from crazy crowd-funded one onto the other but there are some studios that can make best of it and have proven to do so. While first Pillars fell short for many reasons, obsession over balance and front-loading the exposition so heavily being the largest culprits, it still came out fairly well. I don't see any particular faith issues on that front.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

I guess. I really enjoyed the world building and lore in general in Tyranny more than in PoE. Plus I liked the perspective of playing a character that wasn't a coming of age story like so many RPG's have. And even though the encounters became pretty easy toward the end, I liked the combat in Tyranny more (the spell crafting was pretty cool). I don't want to shit on PoE though, I greatly enjoyed that as well.
    I definetely have to agree on the spells. I liked the spell crafting and the PoE system (especially after the patch) was rather "meh". I would have liked more "non construction kit" spells (sadly these were only really on gear) though, as I think every game that allows for spell crafting also needs a good selection of special spells that break the mold (in the end you just min-max usually leading to a lot of similar spells). The world and the premise were also good, I would have loved to see more. But once you took the tower the path was rather obvious imho. They could have done a lot more with it. After The White March DLC I found it was not really better and just lacking in other areas. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    I *heard* that companies have been hopping on board the Kickstarter train less because they need your money, and more because it looks really good to investors who will fund the remainder of the game.
    You can pay for market research or you can have market research that pays you, lol.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.