Page 1 of 25
... LastLast

Mexico's president cancels White House meeting after Trump warning

Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...nt-wall-2017-1

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto on Thursday canceled his meeting next week with President Donald Trump after Trump warned he should not visit Washington, DC, if Mexico was "unwilling to pay" for a wall on its shared border with the US.

"This morning we have informed the White House that I will not attend the meeting scheduled for next Tuesday with the @POTUS," Peña Nietotweeted, according to an online translation.

The cancellation of the meeting came after Trump tweeted Peña Nieto should not meet with him unless Mexico was willing to finance the massive construction project.

"The U.S. has a 60 billion dollar trade deficit with Mexico," Trump wrote on Twitter. "It has been a one-sided deal from the beginning of NAFTA with massive numbers of jobs and companies lost."

Trump continued: "If Mexico is unwilling to pay for the badly needed wall, then it would be better to cancel the upcoming meeting."

Peña Nieto was initially scheduled to meet with Trump on Tuesday in what would be the duo's first bilateral meeting since the new US administration took office.

Building a wall on the US-Mexico border was one of the chief promises Trump made to the American people during the 2016 campaign. He repeatedly promised that he would use trade advantages held by the US to force Mexico to finance it.

Trump said in an interview with ABC News broadcast Wednesday that he would like construction of the barrier to begin within "months."

At the Department of Homeland Security on Wednesday, Trump signed two executive orders related to immigration and the construction of the wall. He told department employees that the moves would help "restore the rule of law."

"A nation without borders is not a nation," Trump said. "Beginning today, the United States of America gets back control as it gets back its borders."

During his interview with ABC News, Trump dodged the question when anchor David Muir pressed him on whether American taxpayers would initially foot the bill for construction of the wall.

"All it is is we'll be reimbursed at a later date from whatever transaction we make from Mexico," Trump said.

Muir mentioned that Peña Nieto had said he would refuse to pay for the wall, but Trump stood firm.

"I think he has to say that. He has to say that," Trump said. "But I'm just telling you there will be a payment. It will be in a form, perhaps a complicated form, and you have to understand what I'm doing is good for the United States. It's also going to be good for Mexico. We want to have a very stable, very solid Mexico."

Speaker Paul Ryan told MSNBC on Wednesday that there were "a lot of different ways" the US could compel Mexico to "contribute" to the costs associated with building the wall.
    Well, I don't think Mexico has a lot of options in this exchange. Staying home just prolongs the process.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

Quote Originally Posted by ControlWarrior View Post
    Business Insider:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...nt-wall-2017-1

Well, I don't think Mexico has a lot of options in this exchange. Staying home just prolongs the process.
    Actually they do, Trump has changed the politics of Mexico the current government is on the way out. Trump's rhetoric has made it impossible for any compromise and if any are reached the next administration of Mexico is going to throw it out. There's a reason you don't want your neighbors house on fire, getting into a pissing contest with Mexico is a geopolitical, economic and national security risk.

Deleted
    Actually, it gives time to seal the deal with China. Only Trump can't see it.

Sounds like an option to me. A good one. What is Trump going to do? Declare war?

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Sounds like an option to me. A good one. What is Trump going to do? Declare war?
    He will just seize the money some other way if they don't acquiesce. I don't know why war would be the first thing you'd think of.
    As a warrior, one of our most crucial tasks is... protection. We are the shield of the Horde, and we keep our weaker brethren safe. If you are to join in our ranks, then you must prove your mettle to me. -Veteran Uzzek

He will just seize the money some other way if they don't acquiesce.
    How would he legally do that, exactly? Send in the army and just start annexing territory he wants?

Probably not good to cancel a meeting with the guy holding all the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Probably not good to meet with a guy who has no interest in a meeting of equals, but wants to act like a bully and try to tell you what your country is going to do.

Mmmmmmm trade wars
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

10+ Year Old Account
    He will just seize the money some other way if they don't acquiesce. I don't know why war would be the first thing you'd think of.
    What, is he going to sneak in their bank Mission Impossible style?

Last time I checked he's not a dictator... yet. The taxpayer and their representatives are holding the cards.

Mexico has options since the pain is coming anyways, Mexico being turned into an enemy is very bad for the safety of the US and I am not talking about immigration.

AP says the wall will cost $15 billion which probably means $30 billion.

On the other hand it will put a lot of people to work including a lot of Mexican-Americans who used to be illegal or were born to illegal parents which is a little ironic.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Probably not good to meet with a guy who has no interest in a meeting of equals, but wants to act like a bully and try to tell you what your country is going to do.
    Instead of trying to talk and reason with someone, better just to let them do what they want without talking to them. Great plan, hope it works out for them.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lol Trump is a fucking moron when it comes to foreign relations. These next 2 years should be good.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Last time I checked he's not a dictator... yet. The taxpayer and their representatives are holding the cards.
    Well he is doing a lot of executive orders, I guess he took a page from Obama's playbook. Excluding that he's backed by republicans so he might as well be in power.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Instead of trying to talk and reason with someone, better just to let them do what they want without talking to them. Great plan, hope it works out for them.
    Trump told him to cancel. Trump is the one who's not willing to talk and reason.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    How would he legally do that, exactly? Send in the army and just start annexing territory he wants?
    Just withhold federal funds earmarked for Mexico. Would be simple as that. Paul Ryan seems on board, so Congress would likely allow it.

7+ Year Old Account
    And the first week isn't even finished...

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Is Trump actually retarded?
    Yes he is.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.