Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Conductors share their electrons. Just need mobile electrons (as in metals).
    It's a bit difficult to describe this since I'm not sure about the proper english terms. But usually (without going deep into QM i guess) the metal bond and it's conductivity is modelled by only valence electrons beeing shared while the "body charge" (the lower ordered electrons) create the actual bonding. In this case they'd be 0 and you'd have only protons in the middle which are supposed to form an atomic lattice(?) with nothing left? With the usual model it seems more plausible to either not be conductive or not be stable. But supposedly it's meta stable and conductive - I'm clearly missing something with the "simple" model.

So.. has anyone a decent source that explains this with a better model?

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    It's a bit difficult to describe this since I'm not sure about the proper english terms. But usually (without going deep into QM i guess) the metal bond and it's conductivity is modelled by only valence electrons beeing shared while the "body charge" (the lower ordered electrons) create the actual bonding.
    It's not the lower ordered electrons that create the actual bonding, it's the body charge of the nuclei minus the lower order electrons (positive net-charge) that create the actual bonding to the shared electrons (negatively charged).

10+ Year Old Account
    So they recreated sun layer condition. Just with less heat.

Its known that fusion under high pressure creates that type of materials. But only 1% of suns mass.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    It's not the lower ordered electrons that create the actual bonding, it's the body charge of the nuclei minus the lower order electrons (positive net-charge) that create the actual bonding to the shared electrons (negatively charged).
    Ah I see. I remembered that wrong then, sorry. Checking it up on wikipedia explains that the pos net charge of the metal ion's body with the electron gas creates the binding. Then it makes sense of course. Thanks.