Wow a new OP coming soon.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...64#edit9222064 Guess with raiders bitching for new OPs content it looks like they are going to deliver...sloooowly.....! Lol seems like they will unlock a new boss every so often so no full raid right away?

A new boss in a new OP*

They're releasing additional bosses one at a time throughout the year.

It's nice that they're finally adding new new raid content for the first time in what, 3ish years after their promise of "no more 13+ months without a new raid!", but this seems like a pretty meager offering. And I don't think raiders "bitched" for new OP's, they were told by BW that OP's would still be supported and introduced to the game, and BW failed to make good on that promise for quite some time.

5.2 looks like it has some decent content in it (daily area, new story missions on a different plot thread, higher difficulty mode for uprisings I think, and a few other things), and I'm happy that they're finally acknowledging that the raiding scene still exists, I just wish that this didn't come off as a half-assed attempt to drive people back to raids to make up for the shitshow that is the Command system.

Still wish they'd remove the entire thing and start from scratch again, it's a fucking disaster even with their "improvements" in 5.1

Now, I liked this game, back at launch.

But today, this game is like a completely crippled man (a vegetable if you will) on a life-support. The only thing it keeps itself alive, is that it's Star Wars, and how its money grab system with Cartel Market (like how F2P are so restricted, not as much as before but still).

I keep telling my friends to stay away from this game, as it is NOT F2P friendly. I don't get it tho, most F2P games fails, so why they bother looking for F2P games then.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Man View Post
    most F2P games fails, so why they bother looking for F2P games then.
    Because this is not a remotely accurate statement. Yes, many F2P games close down, but they're usually low budget Korean/Chinese imports that get published by pretty cheap/awful publishers like Aeria Games in the West.

Most F2P games, especially Western ones, do pretty well for themselves. You've got games like Age of Conan or Champions Online which are barely hanging on and mainly just kinda exist, but then you've got very successful and well supported games like DCUO (which, while quiet, is actually a sustained success for them), Warframe (not a proper MMO, but still F2P and very successful), STO (not super successful, but still performs well and gets solid support), and plenty of others. Not to mention older titles that have been F2P for years and still see some solid support like LOTRO, EQ 1/2 (they're winding down though, largely a result of DBG's internal issues), Lineage 2, and more.

We're continuing to see more F2P MMO's/psuedo-MMO's make the jump from PC onto consoles as well, because it continues to be a profitable move for these companies.

F2P isn't a failure in the slightest, why do you think Blizzard chose that model for Hearthstone and HotS, for example? And look at Overwatch, its longterm monetization is straight F2P-style (RNG lockboxes). Some F2P games are shit and fail, absolutely. But the same goes for games using any business model.

I'm really excited to get Elara back, since she's my favorite companion (though the developers' constant trumpeting of "You can kill people!!!!" as being super exciting is worrying). I'm dreading having an uninspired story where your choice of factions to support just lead to a mirrored story where the companion of the faction you don't choose either dies or is gone for good and both Elara and Quinn join the ranks of the companions that will largely get ignored.

Kind of unsure about the story on a few points, though that will come down to execution. The boss release schedule reeks of not having the resources to push through substantive content releases.

Raiding for SWTOR seems like an extremely niche thing to bring back.

It has no real place in the current design of the game, evidenced by the last 3 expansions veering heavily away from raids and raiders entirely.

My hope is that this operation wont become the focal point of biowares intentions because frankly, their biggest focus now, should be a sequel to SWTOR, not more content for it.

Hopefully we slowly build towards a closure after the ending of KOTET, considering how it literally felt like an ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    A new boss in a new OP*

They're releasing additional bosses one at a time throughout the year.

It's nice that they're finally adding new new raid content for the first time in what, 3ish years after their promise of "no more 13+ months without a new raid!", but this seems like a pretty meager offering. And I don't think raiders "bitched" for new OP's, they were told by BW that OP's would still be supported and introduced to the game, and BW failed to make good on that promise for quite some time.

5.2 looks like it has some decent content in it (daily area, new story missions on a different plot thread, higher difficulty mode for uprisings I think, and a few other things), and I'm happy that they're finally acknowledging that the raiding scene still exists, I just wish that this didn't come off as a half-assed attempt to drive people back to raids to make up for the shitshow that is the Command system.

Still wish they'd remove the entire thing and start from scratch again, it's a fucking disaster even with their "improvements" in 5.1
    I dont agree with the one boss at a time thing. If you have a new OP RELEASE it. Add bonus bosses to it later if you want to do a one boss at a time thing later.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainV View Post
    Raiding for SWTOR seems like an extremely niche thing to bring back.

It has no real place in the current design of the game, evidenced by the last 3 expansions veering heavily away from raids and raiders entirely.

My hope is that this operation wont become the focal point of biowares intentions because frankly, their biggest focus now, should be a sequel to SWTOR, not more content for it.

Hopefully we slowly build towards a closure after the ending of KOTET, considering how it literally felt like an ending.
    Raiding isnt needed in any game but you do have players that are better than the majority that enjoy raiding and harder group content. Having a MMO with no raiding these days is just dumb. People enjoyed DP and DF. People enjoyed the Hutt cartel raids. Hell even with the bugs the vanilla raids were fun also. I always looked forward to tuesday to run them again. When they decided to go with the current route I just did the storyline and shut things down after.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Moon-Man View Post
    Now, I liked this game, back at launch.

But today, this game is like a completely crippled man (a vegetable if you will) on a life-support. The only thing it keeps itself alive, is that it's Star Wars, and how its money grab system with Cartel Market (like how F2P are so restricted, not as much as before but still).

I keep telling my friends to stay away from this game, as it is NOT F2P friendly. I don't get it tho, most F2P games fails, so why they bother looking for F2P games then.
    I'll never get this mode of thinking. Hell LOTRO made way more money when it went F2P than it did sub based according to their publisher. What hurt SWTOR was the bugs and launch and people being used to a more polished WoW atm. Those same people that had weeks and weeks and weeks of downtime and lag when WoW was first released lol. I remember my server crashing once a week for the first 6 months of the games release along with shit lag.

Too little, too late.

Whole thing smacks of a small, understaffed team trying to stop the hemorrhaging.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Too little, too late.

Whole thing smacks of a small, understaffed team trying to stop the hemorrhaging.
    Well, the finally admitted for the first time the other week that they're working with "limited resources" (I believe that was the exact term they used) and that's why content hasn't really flowed like it has in the past.

Either way, I agree. This was probably thought of as a nice gesture to the raiding community internally, but from an external perspective it really seems like they're throwing table scraps to a group of folks who have been asking for a new meal (proper raid) for 3 years : /

new story missions on a different plot thread
    whoa whoa whoa whoa, hold the fucking phone. New story missions? didn't they say that there would be no newer episodes or story missions released post-launch? that the story would only continue on the NEXT expac after ET?

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    whoa whoa whoa whoa, hold the fucking phone. New story missions? didn't they say that there would be no newer episodes or story missions released post-launch? that the story would only continue on the NEXT expac after ET?
    Not a continuation of the KotFE storyline. It's a new daily area with a mini-story associated with it or something. Don't expect much, but maybe it will be a pleasant surprise.

Not a continuation of the KotFE storyline. It's a new daily area with a mini-story associated with it or something. Don't expect much, but maybe it will be a pleasant surprise.
    My read on it says they want to do something like Oricon. It will have a little bit of a story attached to it as you do the dailies and open up the area and you will grind out the rep bar for that area similar to oricon as well.

What I would not expect is it to be very involved. I fully expect the missions to be terribly long and drawn out to artificially extend the time to do them. Collection missions that have 3 second cast times that sort of thing. Macro binocular use to scan things because how long that takes to do. Really long spawn times on limited mobs. One miniboss to summon and kill but you have to wait till the last one is dead before a new one can be spawned.

think of all the Black hole and yavin 4 missions that suck when they were new and how poorly they were designed for a large influx of people. Bottle-necking any fast paced clearing. Thats what I expect it to be filled with.

SNIP....

Either way, I agree. This was probably thought of as a nice gesture to the raiding community internally, but from an external perspective it really seems like they're throwing table scraps to a group of folks who have been asking for a new meal (proper raid) for 3 years : /
    Agreed. A nice gesture but in the end it's a half ass move in the right direction. Played up to be more than what it really is. One boss in 2 months, the rest of them released on a 2 month schedule and hopefully done by the end of 2017. Finished by 2017! I thought that was a joke at first but it's not.

3 years of no new OPS after being told they would never go beyond like 14 months again and this is what they can do? ONE ops stretched out for an entire year. Thats pretty "F"ing sad for a game developer to be in that kind of predicament but bw let it get this bad with a lot of poor design, development and direction.

Honestly, piecemealing out content like this seems to be the new strategy for BioWare. They did it with KotFE chapters, and since they have no chapters this time (and I imagine their gating gear progression behind the sub isn't going too well for them at all) they're having to figure out other ways to get folks to sub. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if this was a purely reactionary change based off of tanking subscriber numbers and the earlier chances they made to gear drops in the Command system, with raids dropping their "fix" for how much people hate the RNG gear.

It's cynical as hell of me, but that's where my opinion of BioWare is right now, sadly. They have no real sustainable vision for the game in the longterm, just a series of reactions to terrible development decisions.

Honestly, piecemealing out content like this seems to be the new strategy for BioWare. They did it with KotFE chapters, and since they have no chapters this time (and I imagine their gating gear progression behind the sub isn't going too well for them at all) they're having to figure out other ways to get folks to sub. I wouldn't be remotely surprised if this was a purely reactionary change based off of tanking subscriber numbers and the earlier chances they made to gear drops in the Command system, with raids dropping their "fix" for how much people hate the RNG gear.

It's cynical as hell of me, but that's where my opinion of BioWare is right now, sadly. They have no real sustainable vision for the game in the longterm, just a series of reactions to terrible development decisions.
    They've shown on multiple occasions the last few years that they have no fucking clue what they're doing as far as creating a sustainable model for keeping players interested in subscribing long term. Their whole shtick seems to be nickel and diming new players until they run out of content, but veteran players that have seen most or all of it...they have no clue how to keep them interested.

The Galactic Command thing was really stupid of them (seriously...gating all gear acquisition at end game behind a pay wall...in a free to play game...ridiculous), and I do think the new Operation is just a way for them to try and garner some favor with their hemorrhaging subscriber base, but I've lost all faith in the ability of BioWare/ EA to manage this MMO effectively in the long term.

They're cinematic are always on point.