Page 24 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    What is and how it feels are two very different things.
    My point is that it won't feel that way with Part Two. This movie explicitly has PART ONE in the title. Expecting it to feel complete isn't a reasonable way to approach the film, as they are as upfront as humanly possible that this isn't a complete work.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    A lot of stuff was cut to streamline the movie that can be introduced in the 2nd part as it wasn't so relevant for the framing of the story.

Like Feyd Rautha, the Spacing Guild's involvement, the Emperor, perhaps tho unlikely Irulan (there's been rumors that there might even be a 3rd movie coming based on Children of Dune or at least that Villenueve would like to make a 3rd movie, and that's pretty hard to impossible without getting Irulan into the story).

I expect a big chunk of the 2nd movie will be about setting up these new elements, akin to the Caladan bit of the 1st movie.
    That's possible. I'd expect somewhere between 2 hrs and 2.5 for the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    My point is that it won't feel that way with Part Two. This movie explicitly has PART ONE in the title. Expecting it to feel complete isn't a reasonable way to approach the film, as they are as upfront as humanly possible that this isn't a complete work.
    I love the internet. You give something praise and you will find a flower that for some reason feels the need to defend it.

Don't ever stop being you because we all need a laugh sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post

I've seen people throw around 'trilogy' terms but that has never been in "serious" (or 'real') discussion from WB for /this/ Dune (first book) 2 part movie. Even if Villanovo would love to do them/commented on it - there are certainly no released or affirmed plans for anything of the sort. WB does have a Bene Gessuit Sister Prequel SERIES they are working on, but not another movie in the works. At least not yet.

That's just wish-making by us fans - to want a third movie, or any movies, for the rest of the books beyond just the first one. Any "assumption" this is a trilogy of movies, or that there will be any third movie or any third movie the 2nd movie will lead into, is pure assumptive speculation on fans part right now.
    It would be an assumption to say there will be a third or that one is even being planned currently but if the second one makes good money it wouldn't surprise me at all if DV decides he'd like to do 1-2 more which WB would likely green light. He has a definite interest in Dune which is what led him to wanting to do them in the first place.

Really happy for the sequel being greenlit, and even more so with Denis Villeneuve expressing interest in adapting the following novel, "Dune Messiah", as well as directing some episodes of the HBO Max upcoming series about the Bene Gesserit.

Lots to look forward to!

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I love the internet. You give something praise and you will find a flower that for some reason feels the need to defend it.

Don't ever stop being you because we all need a laugh sometimes.
    I don't think I've ever seen a normal, respectful conversation get under someone's skin this fast.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

5+ Year Old Account
    It was called part one from the start, saw that in europe over a month ago

5+ Year Old Account
    4:45 makes some points about the ending, seems to make sense, uses Lotr as an example

- - - Updated - - -

Dune Part 3 in 2025?

Denis Villeneuve wants to make 'at least three' Dune movies

The director tells EW that he'd like to adapt Frank Herbert's Dune Messiah after wrapping up the original book.

https://ew.com/movies/denis-villeneu...e-dune-movies/
    By Christian Holub - October 27, 2021 at 05:11 PM EDT

"I always envisioned three movies," Villeneuve says. "It's not that I want to do a franchise, but this is Dune, and Dune is a huge story. In order to honor it, I think you would need at least three movies. That would be the dream. To follow Paul Atreides and his full arc would be nice."

As Herbert readers know, the world of Dune gets stranger with every book. By the end of Children of Dune, one character has begun to transform themself into a human-sandworm hybrid that becomes the title character of God Emperor of Dune. Adapting that transformation might be too much even for Villeneuve, but he's definitely interested in Dune Messiah.

"Herbert wrote six books, and the more he was writing, the more it was getting psychedelic," Villeneuve says. "So I don't know how some of them could be adapted. One thing at a time. If I ever have the chance to do Dune: Part Two and Dune Messiah, I'm blessed."

Ben Shapiro also thought Squid Game was a critique of Communism......instead of the blatantly obvious critique of capitalism that the creators said it was, explicitly.

The dude can't be trusted about anything. I'm not clicking on his video to give him money, but his tweet on Dune was about how he fell asleep during the movie and that it was a slog.

5+ Year Old Account
    Denis Villeneuve on ‘Dune’ Success and the Road to ‘Part Two’

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...wo-1235038791/
    BY BRIAN DAVIDS - OCTOBER 28, 2021 1:06PM

Well, Denis, to borrow your catchphrase, I deeply love Dune: Part One, and congratulations on a much-deserved Part Two. How are you feeling right now after the best opening weekend of your career?

Relieved. We had a lot of challenges. The pandemic. Day-and-date releases. There were a lot of obstacles, but to see that people went in great numbers to the theater, it just brings a pure joy to my heart, frankly.

Were you ever truly worried that Part Two may not happen?

I knew that Warner Bros. and Legendary really believed in the project, and then we did great numbers in Europe. It would have needed to do something catastrophic. (Laughs.) But to know that people are enjoying the movie and that the movie has created enthusiasm, it does give me the necessary energy to do Part Two. Even from a very egocentric point of view, that joy gives me energy. That’s what I will say. If it was the opposite and nobody had shown up to the theater, I don’t know where I would find the necessary stamina to face the challenge of Part Two.

And Part Two received an exclusive 45-day theatrical window. Are you thrilled that you no longer have to worry about a day-and-date release?

For me, it was a non-negotiable condition. But again, I love streaming. I use streaming all the time. I think it’s a fantastic way of revisiting movies or discovering movies from the past that are not accessible in theaters anymore. But I still think that contemporary movies need to have their chance. All movies need to have proper time in theaters. The theatrical experience is at the very heart of the cinematic language for me. There’s something about committing. The act of going to the theater means you’re totally committing yourself. You’re engaging in the process of receiving a movie with a different rhythm, a different approach and a vision. For that, you have to be fully committed. It’s part of the ritual to receive cinema. At home, you’re in front of your computer, you’re taking the dog outside or you’re answering your phone.

While Part Two‘s green light is amazing news, you now have a release date in less than two years. So how far along are you?

It’s fantastic news, but it’s also kind of a burden. The good news is that a lot of the work has been done already regarding design, casting, locations and writing. So we’re not starting from scratch. It’s not a long period of time, but I will try to face that challenge because it’s important for me that the audience sees Part Two as soon as possible. It’s not a sequel where it’s another episode or another story with the same characters. It actually has direct continuity to the first movie. It’s the second part of the big, huge movie that I’m trying to do. So, the sooner the better.

Could cameras start rolling in the spring, potentially? Or is that too soon?

No, that’s too soon. We still have a lot of work to do. It’d probably be more toward fall, and even that would be fast. (Laughs.)

You probably learned a lot on Part One about how best to make a Dune movie. Will you change the process for Part Two at all based on what you learned from Part One?

First of all, I learned so much on Part One. It was almost like going back to film school again, which is what I love about my job. Every film becomes a massive learning experience. Of course, everything I learned during Part One will tremendously help me on Part Two. One of the challenges will be to try and stay in the same spirit as Part One, while still trying to bring something new to it, cinematically. [Cinematographer] Greig Fraser and I don’t want to have the impression that we are just repeating ourselves, but I cannot talk about it yet because it’s something that I’m still in the process of brainstorming with myself. I usually don’t talk that much about upcoming projects that are a massive work in progress. Dune: Part Two is a baby that has just been conceived. We don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl yet. (Laughs.) There’s a lot of challenging work ahead of us, but it’s exciting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Ben Shapiro also thought Squid Game was a critique of Communism......instead of the blatantly obvious critique of capitalism that the creators said it was, explicitly.

The dude can't be trusted about anything. I'm not clicking on his video to give him money, but his tweet on Dune was about how he fell asleep during the movie and that it was a slog.
    His review has nothing to do with politics, if it was I wouldn't have posted it cuz i have too much respect of dune to insert distract politics, I distrust him as well. I mentioned him bringing up Lotr as a hint this was about movies, not politics

I haven't heard this his first take on the movie, doesn't sound like anything in his utub review..only thing annoying in his vid is him making some commercial about some product that my brain refused to remember, i hate commercials, do it at start or end, not in the middle ffs..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-29 at 08:11 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm kinda getting sick of this. They only "love" the theater cause it brings in more money atm. As soon as streaming brings in more money from them watch how fast they drop their love the "proper theater experience".
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I'm kinda getting sick of this. They only "love" the theater cause it brings in more money atm. As soon as streaming brings in more money from them watch how fast they drop their love the "proper theater experience".
    I see...you are one of those that, wrongly, believe your superduperawesome home theater n sound is remotely comparable to a giant imax in how it carries sound in those large rooms?..you, or anyone else, will never able to replicate the cinema experience at home, you'd have to build an actual cinema...

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I see...you are one of those that, wrongly, believe your superduperawesome home theater n sound is remotely comparable to a giant imax in how it carries sound in those large rooms?..you, or anyone else, will never able to replicate the cinema experience at home, you'd have to build an actual cinema...
    No. I have a simple hdtv with no sound system.

I wouldn't want to "replicate" the cinema experience. It's horrible. Maybe if I could have the theater to myself and be able to pause when I need/want. I wouldn't mind it, but as it is other people and no control ruin the time for me.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

5+ Year Old Account
    Dunno where you watch movies, but it sounds like with teenagers from hell..call security n the trouble makers are shown the door.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    lol... wishful thinking...
    Sounds like a bad theater. There are plenty that would be to your liking, but may be out of reach. Food part is kind of understandable, people bring obnoxious wrappers or stink up the place with outside food if there's no control.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    I wouldn't want to "replicate" the cinema experience. It's horrible. Maybe if I could have the theater to myself and be able to pause when I need/want. I wouldn't mind it, but as it is other people and no control ruin the time for me.
    I'm with you on strangers ruining your (or mine) experience, but I'm with Villeneuve on that cinema is "a different art form" than home TV, because of commitment. At home you can stop the movie, walk your dog, make a phone call, then come back and rewind back and forth, while in cinema you're committed to see it as the author intended; I can respect that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Did the Korean author himself say that? Where? ...I thought Squid Game is neither, it's about humans not economic systems?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    my cinema experiences over the years: people talking on their phones or to each other... people throwing popcorn across the room... people complaining they can barely see anything because they're sitting behind me... room for legs is limited... toilet queues and can't even pause it when you need to go to toilet... have to be there way before it starts to pick tickets up... sound is way too loud and can damage your hearing... kids screaming... can't bring your own food or drinks there , have to buy from the cinema and it's only limited to snacks and a few drinks like coca cola, fanta and some non-carbonated drinks and a 50 cl bottle costs more than a 1.5l bottle from the grocery store...

cinema sucks...
    That sucks. I've been to the cinema at least fifty times and the worst things I remember is people with cell phones open, some twists talking too loud and a couple hardcore kissing right next to me (during Mad Max: Fury Road of all movies).

And I sincerely doubt Villeneuve loves cinema due to making money from it. The guy's been making arthouse movies since way, way before Hollywood took notice of him, he's a passionate as one gets in this business while still being successful. If money was what he cared about he'd Michael Bay or MCU the fuck out of his movies instead.
    Last edited by Jastall; 2021-10-29 at 10:38 PM.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Finally got to watch this and... well, about what I expected. It's half a movie, and it's exactly the grey-colored, self-congratulatory visual nonsense I feared it would be. I guess they missed the part in the books where the colors of the Atreides include GREEN. Yeah it's a desert planet, but dear lord does EVERYTHING have to be grey and black and nothing else? I'm not asking for Batman Forever here, but there's more to it than dog vision, I daresay.

The adaptation was true to the material in most respects at least, though I'm not sure we needed YET ANOTHER Baron Harkonnen that went beyond just being a hedonistic psychopath and into grotesque freak territory. In the books he was into perfumed boys and luxury, not public saunas and balsamic vinaigrette baths. Yikes.

I like the use of actual battle language - that was pretty cool. But they overdid it with the Sardaukar, that was just freaky. They're a military cult where those who succeed get vast rewards, not some freakish death religion with human sacrifices and borderline inhuman speech. In fact the Sardaukar look down on religion as something not fit for a soldier (seen in Children of Dune).

My biggest gripe, though, is with Jessica and Paul. It's the same mistake films do almost every single time the characters are supposed to be highly trained, highly disciplined, and mentally hardened people - they cannot help but treat them as just another role. Jessica had her moments of weakness in the books, but she's a fully fledged Bene Gesserit - to have her nearly break down in cries and whimpers is an insult to that legacy. Sure she's worried, sure she's apprehensive... INSIDE. They'd never have let her leave Wallach IX if she behaved like that, let alone become a ducal concubine. Same with Paul; he's a fighting machine trained from birth by some of the best teachers in the universe. He lacks experience and has his flaws, but he's not a whimpering heap who collapses at the first whiff of spice (which, canonically, he should have had in his diet already anyway, at least in small doses). And just like his mother, his battles are internal most of the time, him throwing a crying fit with snot dripping down his nose seems dramatically out of character - but that's what passes for "dramatic acting", so that's what dramatic actors do. Stoic control doesn't feel like "acting", I guess, but in this case it's just a ridiculous clash with the fantasy.

Speaking of Paul - they REALLY overdid it with the visions. Paul's gift was never that developed that early. He had some dreams, a flash of insight now and then, but nothing like this until his agony. And it definitely felt to me like it messed with the pacing of the film BIG TIME to have a cut to lens-flared slow motion of Chani doing something vaguely similar FOR THE FIFTEENTH TIME. They didn't even include the dialogue that would go with it, foreshadowing the names Usul and Muad'dib, or the "tell me of the waters of your homeworld" bit that actually made this charming in the books. It was just a weirdly angled slow-mo scene with screeching ululation in the background music - ten times in ten different versions.

Another thing that bugged me was the way the Fremen were portrayed. They're quite racially diverse in the books - heck, Chani is a redhead even. But they did exactly what I thought they would, and cast everyone as vaguely brown-ish or black "desert people". That's not how it works. The world of Dune is CULTURALLY defined, not racially. Just because there's Arabic influences in the Fremen culture (and not just that, by the way; they are, after all, not just Sunni but ZENsunni). But the casting was basically just desert people = they need to look African/Middle Eastern. Though ironically the whitest of the bunch is Stilgar, who actually worked pretty well I do admit.

Not all bad, of course. I think Gurney worked well, despite the lack of singing or a baliset. And despite the somewhat liberal interpretation of Duncan Idaho, I actually feel it captured the spirit of the character quite well. Thufir was a bit bumbling for the eternally paranoid spymaster he's supposed to be, but I honestly kind of felt a vibe going there (unlike Piter, who I thought was criminally underused and badly cast/portrayed). They could have done without the parasol, though. WTF was up with that? Duke Leto worked really well. Stern, but focused. Great portrayal. Gaius Helen Mohiam (yes, Jessica, it's Mohiam, not MOHAIM how dare you mispronounce your own teacher's name) also worked well for me, though I'm a little sad they only did half of the trapped-animal dialogue from the books; kind of pointless to just give the mistake, and not talk about the actual solution.

And, of course, the visual effects (color palette aside) are stunning. I like the geometric ships, the deliberate pace, the great detail on the ornithopters. Fantastic representation. The worms look great as well, and they did a good job with the Dune-specific equipment (paracompass, sand compactor, all that). Very rewarding experience with meticulous attention to detail (again, except for the colors or lack thereof). Look at the ornithopter instruments and all the tiny writing in proper "alien" script! I like. Shield effects are also cool, nicely understated but effective. Same with the lasguns - though I have to point out that in the actual Dune universe, a ship would NEVER just fire a lasgun into a large battlefield to try and hit a runaway 'thopter. Maybe they forgot the reason lasguns are rarely used in Dune...

Perhaps I'm being too critical here, because I did enjoy seeing the world of Dune come to life on a big screen. Of course, if they never make Part II (and possibly more, given this snail's pace storytelling) I'll be quite disappointed, but I do hope that we might venture out of the earthen tones at some point...

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Finally got to watch this and... well, about what I expected. It's half a movie, and it's exactly the grey-colored, self-congratulatory visual nonsense I feared it would be. I guess they missed the part in the books where the colors of the Atreides include GREEN. Yeah it's a desert planet, but dear lord does EVERYTHING have to be grey and black and nothing else? I'm not asking for Batman Forever here, but there's more to it than dog vision, I daresay.
    I have to agree with the lack of color green. I'd also call the choice of black for a desert color scheme as bad (despite the fact that Atreides Banner colors are green/black), unless it meant that all military operations would only be taking place at night. But the Atreides were not planning in attacking Fremen, so... yeah.

Also, while they played the distinction between Caladan and Arrakis beautifully (spaceships rising from the waters, Paul touching water and sand before departing for Arrakis), the lack of green was quite obvious. Plus, while a natural choice for the Atreides, would go a long way to gain trust with the Fremen, having as goal to turn the planet green. I can only justify this omission (or choice) as lack of resources for a recoloring of gear-equipment, given they needed funds to relocate and resume operations in Arrakis.

The adaptation was true to the material in most respects at least, though I'm not sure we needed YET ANOTHER Baron Harkonnen that went beyond just being a hedonistic psychopath and into grotesque freak territory. In the books he was into perfumed boys and luxury, not public saunas and balsamic vinaigrette baths. Yikes.
    I also found the Baron's portrait not so complete. In the book and all other portraits, there was an atmosphere of moral decadence (caused by wealth and pleasure) surrounding the Harkonnens, making them opposite of the Atreides. All we got was red tints and evil power hunger.

I like the use of actual battle language - that was pretty cool. But they overdid it with the Sardaukar, that was just freaky. They're a military cult where those who succeed get vast rewards, not some freakish death religion with human sacrifices and borderline inhuman speech. In fact the Sardaukar look down on religion as something not fit for a soldier (seen in Children of Dune).
    While you're correct, this adaptation managed to show the danger the Sardaukar were posing for any of the Major Houses armies, without much exposition.

My biggest gripe, though, is with Jessica and Paul. It's the same mistake films do almost every single time the characters are supposed to be highly trained, highly disciplined, and mentally hardened people - they cannot help but treat them as just another role. Jessica had her moments of weakness in the books, but she's a fully fledged Bene Gesserit - to have her nearly break down in cries and whimpers is an insult to that legacy. Sure she's worried, sure she's apprehensive... INSIDE. They'd never have let her leave Wallach IX if she behaved like that, let alone become a ducal concubine. Same with Paul; he's a fighting machine trained from birth by some of the best teachers in the universe. He lacks experience and has his flaws, but he's not a whimpering heap who collapses at the first whiff of spice (which, canonically, he should have had in his diet already anyway, at least in small doses). And just like his mother, his battles are internal most of the time, him throwing a crying fit with snot dripping down his nose seems dramatically out of character - but that's what passes for "dramatic acting", so that's what dramatic actors do. Stoic control doesn't feel like "acting", I guess, but in this case it's just a ridiculous clash with the fantasy.

Speaking of Paul - they REALLY overdid it with the visions. Paul's gift was never that developed that early. He had some dreams, a flash of insight now and then, but nothing like this until his agony. And it definitely felt to me like it messed with the pacing of the film BIG TIME to have a cut to lens-flared slow motion of Chani doing something vaguely similar FOR THE FIFTEENTH TIME. They didn't even include the dialogue that would go with it, foreshadowing the names Usul and Muad'dib, or the "tell me of the waters of your homeworld" bit that actually made this charming in the books. It was just a weirdly angled slow-mo scene with screeching ululation in the background music - ten times in ten different versions.
    God, you're so right! It's also my biggest gripe with the movie. I fear it was a deliberate direction choice, for lack of a better alternative of showing this internal struggle, or dismissing it as non essential for the movie purposes.

Another thing that bugged me was the way the Fremen were portrayed. They're quite racially diverse in the books - heck, Chani is a redhead even. But they did exactly what I thought they would, and cast everyone as vaguely brown-ish or black "desert people". That's not how it works. The world of Dune is CULTURALLY defined, not racially. Just because there's Arabic influences in the Fremen culture (and not just that, by the way; they are, after all, not just Sunni but ZENsunni). But the casting was basically just desert people = they need to look African/Middle Eastern. Though ironically the whitest of the bunch is Stilgar, who actually worked pretty well I do admit.
    I don't care about that, tbh. Lack of redheads doesn't mean much. Any people living for centuries in a desert planet would adapt to African/Middle Eastern colors. They could have had some Thai/Philippino/Indonesian cast, but that doesn't really detract anything from the movie.

Not all bad, of course. I think Gurney worked well, despite the lack of singing or a baliset. And despite the somewhat liberal interpretation of Duncan Idaho, I actually feel it captured the spirit of the character quite well. Thufir was a bit bumbling for the eternally paranoid spymaster he's supposed to be, but I honestly kind of felt a vibe going there (unlike Piter, who I thought was criminally underused and badly cast/portrayed). They could have done without the parasol, though. WTF was up with that? Duke Leto worked really well. Stern, but focused. Great portrayal. Gaius Helen Mohiam (yes, Jessica, it's Mohiam, not MOHAIM how dare you mispronounce your own teacher's name) also worked well for me, though I'm a little sad they only did half of the trapped-animal dialogue from the books; kind of pointless to just give the mistake, and not talk about the actual solution.
    I'll respectfully disagree with Gurney. His double side as trobadoure/fighter is essential to the character and that side was completely omitted. I find the cast fitting, but i guess the actor wasn't gonna go with more prosthetics on his face (the lack of the inkvine scar irked me) after Thanos. The mentat background/role/portraying was sorely lacking in the movie (my 2nd gripe), but i also understand it was also a deliberate choice to cut down screen time.

And, of course, the visual effects (color palette aside) are stunning. I like the geometric ships, the deliberate pace, the great detail on the ornithopters. Fantastic representation. The worms look great as well, and they did a good job with the Dune-specific equipment (paracompass, sand compactor, all that). Very rewarding experience with meticulous attention to detail (again, except for the colors or lack thereof). Look at the ornithopter instruments and all the tiny writing in proper "alien" script! I like. Shield effects are also cool, nicely understated but effective. Same with the lasguns - though I have to point out that in the actual Dune universe, a ship would NEVER just fire a lasgun into a large battlefield to try and hit a runaway 'thopter. Maybe they forgot the reason lasguns are rarely used in Dune...

Perhaps I'm being too critical here, because I did enjoy seeing the world of Dune come to life on a big screen. Of course, if they never make Part II (and possibly more, given this snail's pace storytelling) I'll be quite disappointed, but I do hope that we might venture out of the earthen tones at some point...
    The ornithopters were more like insecthopters, reminding as shape and flight libellulas more than birds. But i actually loved them, so no probs with it. Agreed with the lasgun, given it was shot against Atreides who use shields heavily and wouldn't remove them from their thopters, unless needed, as already shown.

Part II is coming and, quite possibly, Part III (adapting Dune Messiah).
    /spit@Blizzard

It was ok. I really didn't find the visuals to be all that interesting, maybe it was because people kept hyping them up, but they were pretty average. BR2049 had much better visuals / music / cinematogrophy.