So how much threat...?

...does Throw Glaive generate for Vengeance? I used it a bit during Skittish, and it seemed to help, but without real data it's hard to say how much. I mean, I can watch my threat % change on a mob as I hit it, but was hoping maybe someone had some quantified data?

We won't have skittish again for a bit, and it's academic until then, but figured I'd ask while we had time.

Throw Glaive: Throw a demonic glaive at the target, dealing 135% Physical damage. The glaive can ricochet to 2 additional enemies within 10 yards. Generates high threat.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

It's a good "bring back mob" skill so yeah.

Any time your primary goal is threat generation you should be weaving in as many Throw Glaives as possible, as long as it's not going to prohibit you from properly mitigating/staying alive. It's enough bonus threat that it's worth weaving in as close to on-cooldown as you can get it.

its 100% more but dring skittish, dps spells seem to be more effective unless they up the damage from throw glaive alot.

Enough to grab stuff off a healer, not enough to grab stuff off DPS who are going full ham AoE.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinary View Post
    its 100% more but dring skittish, dps spells seem to be more effective unless they up the damage from throw glaive alot.
    I think the threat generation reduction of Skittish may sort of "double dip" with Throw Glaive, reducing the threat generated by the damage portion and also making the "additional threat generated" component less effective. It should still generate more threat per damage done than another ability, but an ability that does more damage in the first place will probably generate the same if not more effective threat. If you can hit three targets with the Throw Glaive, however, it's still worth using and should still generate more threat per target hit per GCD than most other abilities.

Aye but I honestly dont know how the threat works, I just assume it like:
    Ability does 1 damage=1threat, 5 for tank spec.
    Throw glaive does 135% wep dmg therefore if your base damage is 1000, it does 1350 damage and 6750 threat which then multiplies with 100% aka should double it leaving you with 13500 threat for 1350 damage.
    Shear does 270% wep damage therefore if your base damage is 1000, it does 2700 damage which is 13500 threat but deals more damage and has a chance for lesser soul fragment which heals and gives additional threat.

This could all be wrong tho but this is the way I see it^
    In my opinion, dead target doesnt have a say in threat meter so yeah, better kill it fast than think how to hold aggro on it.

Throw Glaive is good for AoE Threat(well 3 mobs) when you don't have enough pain for a soul cleave and infernal strike/sigil of flame are on CD. That's it really though. ST it's threat is comparable to a regular shear in my testing.

As many replies imply, Throw Glaive really doesn't help much in skittish when DPS' AoE damage escalate.
    Best trait in skittish week is Soul Bomb, which should be used as much as you can rather than using fxxking shear.

I had success during Skittish using Razor Spikes + Soul Cleave, along with Immolation Aura, and combining Torment's 3 second window with Throw Glaive. Fiery Brand + Soul Carver + Fel Eruption + Fel Devastation. Sigils on cd.

I say I had success because one of our guild's best dps, outgearing me 10 item levels and averaging 600k over the run, said toward the end that he had forgotten this was Skittish week. So something was going right.

What I don't know is exactly which parts of my rotation were doing the most to help.

If you are running with 2 ranged and 1 melee, just attack the mob that the melee is attacking or well, always make sure he attacks the same mob as you since range doesnt seem to have any aggro at all during skittish, only melee seems to have a problem.

since range doesnt seem to have any aggro at all during skittish, only melee seems to have a problem
    Melee take aggro at 110% of tank threat while ranged require 130% IIRC.

They're also the ones that are immediately taking damage if they pull aggro for a few seconds

Aye but if you run with 3 melee, you never seem to be able to hold aggro but ranged can just go apenuts on aoe and big cds on trash while not getting aggro at all so yeah. We, as a guild, count skittish as not a melee week, while volcanic is not a range week. Its kinda good tho since m+ favours melee anyway so atleast 1 affix ranged is favoured.

Quote Originally Posted by Svisalith View Post
    Melee take aggro at 110% of tank threat while ranged require 130% IIRC.
    Good stuff! I did not know this. Thanks for sharing.

- - - Updated - - -

My guild mate who made the comment is an elemental shaman, so the 130% threshold could help explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinary View Post
    Aye but if you run with 3 melee, you never seem to be able to hold aggro but ranged can just go apenuts on aoe and big cds on trash while not getting aggro at all so yeah. We, as a guild, count skittish as not a melee week, while volcanic is not a range week. Its kinda good tho since m+ favours melee anyway so atleast 1 affix ranged is favoured.
    Ranged can afford to go ballistic because of the extra 20% threat they need to pull to actually get aggro, and the fact that very few mobs can immediately damage them even when pulled. If you pull a mob as melee you need to immediately react with a defensive, shadowmeld, or moving away. If a ranged pulls, they've got the safety net of distance. Plus, many ranged have better ways to drop threat/aggro. Hunters are great in M+ with Skittish because on top of the benefit given to all ranged, they have Feign, MD, etc.

At the levels of DPS people should be doing in a high M+ environment, that extra 20% aggro needed to pull DPS at ranged (over melee) is a significant amount of damage. It's not a big difference at the beginning of an expansion, but this far in its a noticeable amount which is why ranged can generally do a lot more damage without pulling. The best thing you can do as a melee is simply rotate your targets. A tank is going to be doing one of two things; focusing threat on one mob while holding the rest with cleave, or trying to swap targets and evenly spread the threat around. As melee, you want to try to target whatever the tank is pumping the most TPS into, but no matter what you're going to have to target-swap to avoid pulling.

So many people have stopped using threat meters these days, including myself. Skittish is refreshing because it really feels like it's BC again, back when I tanked and your threat mattered, your TPS was a stat that was relevant. A DPS using a real threat meter (not including the in-game built in notifications) is going to give you an edge as a melee DPS in M+, pretty much always. Being able to plan your abilities and cooldowns ahead of time because you know exactly how much more damage you can afford to do before pulling is big.