Runic Attenuation+Obliteration vs. Machine Gun Rotation

I've been playing a Frost DK for all of Legion and have been rolling with the RA Oblit talents and rotation. Last night during Normal NH someone suggested trying the Machine Gun spec. Does the MG spec/rotation outshine RA Oblit in raids/high mythic+? I haven't gone down the BoS route yet as I have the bracers and trinket as my legendaries. Also have a 2 piece set bonus. Typically pulling between 400-500k DPS on single/low target fights at 887 item level.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian View Post
    I've been playing a Frost DK for all of Legion and have been rolling with the RA Oblit talents and rotation. Last night during Normal NH someone suggested trying the Machine Gun spec. Does the MG spec/rotation outshine RA Oblit in raids/high mythic+? I haven't gone down the BoS route yet as I have the bracers and trinket as my legendaries. Also have a 2 piece set bonus. Typically pulling between 400-500k DPS on single/low target fights at 887 item level.

Thanks!
    your talking about the same build.

I think he may be referring to FScythe build. It depends on the encounter, but I thoroughly believe that AoE can be handled while still being in RA+Oblit. Otherwise, I find Fscythe build to be good for this weeks affix Bolstering. It allows you to evenly cleave down packs to ensure they all die near the same time. But the ST dps from Oblit is great, and can be effectively used for AoE as well.

Once you get your 4 set, definitely try BoS, legendaries or not. I started using BoS due to getting the belt and my 4set, but since then the other DK's I raid with have switched for some encounters and definitely pulled respectable numbers. And they have bracers+utility leg+2set.
    i7-6700k | EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 | CM Evo 212 | 16GB DDR4 2400 Corsair Vengeance | ASRock Fata1ity k6 z170 | NZXT 440 White |

10+ Year Old Account
    You can play BoS with no legendaries and the bracers are one of the best legendaries for it.

It's alright if you don't like it, but "bad legendaries" shouldn't be an excuse for holding you back from playing it.
    RIP Breath of Sindragosa - 23/06/2015 - The day fun died.

The MG build should be referring to the Frostscythe single-target priority setup that was competitive when EN opened. It isn't anymore, and RA/OB will beat it on anything less than 5 target cleave.

Even then, once you have the 4 piece RA/OB will be so flooded with resources that you won't be able to dump them fast enough. You would have to drop FP for Freezing Fog, which makes IT less attractive (but ME just adds to the resource capping problem, and Shattering Strikes just sucks), which then makes RA less attractive. The build just doesn't work anymore and isn't competitive with 3/1/2/x/x/3/2 at all.

If you are afraid to put in the effort to learn BoS you could go with 3/1/1/x/x/3/1, which is the next best non-BoS centric build.

Honestly, you should learn BoS. It's far less punishing than the unholy WoD version. It just takes some practice time on a dummy and a little forward thinking/planning. I'm running breath with the bracers and Sephuz and it still puts up really good numbers. Eventually, you'll be running breath with the 4 piece, so it doesn't hurt to get used to it. Once you get commit it to muscle memory, it's not bad.
    Last edited by Krieleros; 2017-02-08 at 05:58 PM.

No reason not to play BoS. you're shooting yourself in the foot.

On that note, is the Fscythe build still better for lower m+ or would BoS be better?
    "Always remember, in a land of fel infused ancient elves, the peasant with a good banish spell is king."

They're both good. You may like BoS better, because it'll force you to use Gathering storm more often with Pillar of Frost if you have the talent to stun them. Everyone in your group will thank you for that.

I heard that someone prefer to use Fsc for m+10 bolstering affixes which is perfectly understandable.

Just pick Fsc if you're more comfortable with it, but don't neglect the BoS build.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    They're both good. You may like BoS better, because it'll force you to use Gathering storm more often with Pillar of Frost if you have the talent to stun them. Everyone in your group will thank you for that.

I heard that someone prefer to use Fsc for m+10 bolstering affixes which is perfectly understandable.

Just pick Fsc if you're more comfortable with it, but don't neglect the BoS build.
    I've been running 3223212 for M+ this week (bolstering/tyrannical), and it's been really good. FSc / BoS on trash, and BoS + HRW for bosses

OBRA is a clear winner for ST, but frostscythe is good for AoE fights. For example, I can do 880k dps with frostscythe on spellblade with 885 ilvl.

I was wondering something about the FScythe + GA build for AoE in m+: often I feel like I don't get that much out of GA. Would Obliterate be a viable option to boost ST? And perhaps even AoE, if more KMs can be used on FScythe.
    "Always remember, in a land of fel infused ancient elves, the peasant with a good banish spell is king."