Pokemon Revolution Online

Pokémon Revolution Online - PC, Mac, Android

Greetings, fellow Pokémom masters! I haven't seen a thread about this game in a while, so I figured I would make a more updated one. If you've ever played a Pokemon game and thought how awesome it would be to see, battle and trade with other players in-game, keep reading below.

Core Mechanics:

The game plays like any Pokemon game would on a handheld. You start out by receiving your first Pokemon from Professor Oak in Pallet Town (Gen 1 Starter), and you continue on your journey, catching Pokemon and defeating gyms as you go. Currently, the game features a storyline that will take you through Kanta, Johto and Hoenn, with a small twist: After defeating the Elite 4 of each region, you start over fresh in the next region! Don't worry though, your Pokemon are stored and will be accessible upon defeating the next region. Just recently the devs also announced that they've started development of the Sinnoh region as well. Also, unlike some of its competition, the leveling doesn't take that long, and you won't find yourself grinding on wild Pokemon for 6 hours just to level up to beat a gym. You will however, notice that the wild Pokemon are much stronger than the handheld games, and the AI is more difficult to compensate for the increased Exp. The result is that you'll have to heal up at PokéCenters a little more often, but its not a big deal.

The game also features "bosses" which are usually hard NPCs with max level Pokemon. They have good rewards though, often rare Pokemon, and reset frequently (most commonly once per week).

The Pokémon:

Currently, PRO features Pokemon from the first 6 generations of the game, and you will find them scattered throughout all 3 regions, which is a nice surprise. As of this post, there are around 570 catchable Pokemon. They all have movesets from Gen 5/Gen 6 as well. PRO does a very good job at displaying detailed information about each Pokemon as well. When viewing one of your own, or someone else's (linked in chat), you can see all of their stats including IVs (internal values) for each stat, as well as any accrued EVs (effort values) for each stat. Other Pokemon MMORPGs in the past either made you look up stats on 3rd party websites, or not show you at all, so this is very convenient. The game can get kind of hardcore with all the min/maxing you can do with stats, but you can play as casual or as hardcore as you like. Many folks just enjoy hunting rares or filling out their Pokédex (and hunting shinies, too!).

PVP:

The PvP system in PRO in very polished and features a queueing system. You "queue up" and get put into a matchmade battle. There's PvP ratings, ladders, tournaments and even a currency (PvP coins) used to purchase unique rewards.

Social/Community:

The community on PRO is one of the best I've ever been a part of. People seem friendly, helpful and always answering questions in the available in-game chat channels. Every place I go, I always see other players and the in-game chat is always lively. There are also guilds that you can create/join for a unique Pokemon experience. The devs also do holiday events. For example, the Christmas event this past year featured some Pokemon that had a chance to be a different color when found in the wild (red/green for Christmas). There are also some great guides on their forums, which helped me out a ton. Walkthroughs, spawn guides, TM/HM locations, etc. Everything is on there.

Membership/Coin Shop:

The game is completely free to play, however, you can donate $5 for 30-days worth of membership which gives you increased Exp and PokeDollars earned. The Membership Token is also tradable, so you can purchase it from other players with in-game currency. There's also a "Coin Shop" where you can buy mounts and accessories for your character. None of these give you any advantages in the game, they are just cosmetic and help fund the development of the game.

Negatives:

I've seen other threads about Pokemon MMO's and the main complaint I see is that "Nintendo will eventually shut it down, so I'm not going to invest any time into it." There are at least 3 other Pokemon MMO's that have been running for a long time (Pokemon World Online, PokeMMO and Pokemon: Dawn of Darkness) and never shut down. I think there's a loophole in the system, by saying the game is made by volunteers and no one is getting paid, they can somehow get around this? I am not sure, but PRO has been up for 2 years now, so that says something.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me here or in-game (Trapped - Yellow Server).

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add the website link, lol. Also, added event info that I forgot when I made the post. Hit me up with any questions.
    Last edited by Trapped; 2017-02-24 at 12:22 PM.
    Problems with WoW: No server communities, too much cross-realm crap, too many raiding difficulties, guilds don't matter anymore.
    Fix it: Limit server transfers, merge more servers, reduce raiding to 2 difficulties (N/H, 10/25), bring raiding back to guilds again (limit # of cross-realm players in your group). #MakeWoWGreatAgain