Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Holy Priest and the need for the self Killl Switch.

Hello my Fellow Holy Priest I'm here today because i'm sure i'm not the only one
    who has faced the 1 critical decision towards the end of a fight. That decision is to
    sacrifice yourself so your raid can live or for a little extra free heavy aoe healing.
    while doing Heroic Skorpyron for first time last night i was kinda running out of mana
    towards the end it was getting a bit hectic so i wanted to sacrifice my self i was about
    30-40% health so i decided to take a focused blast hoping it would kill me but it didn't
    and i didn't count for shock wave after that killed me along with some adds lucky boss
    was almost dead all ready and i was able to heal through it in my spirit of redemption.

There is a lot of times where i see sacrificing my self for that 20+ sec of free
    on demand healing but lack the means in a fight to kill my self. i think there is
    a need for the kill switch or a at least a spell that drops you to 10% health left to
    prevent accident use it would be very useful for skilled holy priests who want to
    get a little bit extra healing out of there spec and the legendary cloak blizz
    won't give me-drool but anyways that's my idea.
    Last edited by Redfullmoon; 2017-02-27 at 06:28 PM.

Isn't there a toy that instantly kills you? A dagger or something?

edit: nvm, doesn't work above lvl 90...
    Last edited by DietzThought; 2017-02-27 at 06:31 PM.

Deleted
    Well I think that would make this already strong ability a bit too strong, and the legendary would become mandatory, which is the one thing Blizzard tries to prevent.

Also, a good amount of fights already offers enough mechanics to kill yourself towards the end of the fight, I actually think Skorpyron might be the only fight where it´s not possible (?)

It is bad game design when killing your character becomes a requirement for play.

This is why I've never liked talents like SoR and StM.

This is a very viable move for holy priests. We run 2 holy priest and both of us do it. The other one has the cloak and can self rez which makes it better for her. I will find something to die in at the end of a fight or if there is an extra battle rez available i might go down earlier.

With that said, This is a bad game play design in my opinion. I have never liked it, and never spec'd into it until we were forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainAlkohol View Post
    Well I think that would make this already strong ability a bit too strong, and the legendary would become mandatory, which is the one thing Blizzard tries to prevent.

Also, a good amount of fights already offers enough mechanics to kill yourself towards the end of the fight, I actually think Skorpyron might be the only fight where it´s not possible (?)
    Skorpyrons Arcanoslash is pretty deadly, so just walk to your tanks when its on and you are dead.

I thought the "kill ability" was your push to talk key "don't heal me". Holy priest... standing in bad because I'm oom since... well, the first raid tier I played. Used to be when you got a brez it was a set amount of mana (ie more than oom).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethris View Post
    It is bad game design when killing your character becomes a requirement for play.
    and why is that

Quote Originally Posted by treeqt View Post
    and why is that
    Do you enjoy when "requires you to be losing" is a key feature of your class?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's better than being oom at crucial points because my regen is horrible. 'Sides, none of other Legendaries really do anything impressive, might as well make use of my "iconic" ability.

Deleted
    nah i dropped MW a while ago

This is why I've never liked talents like SoR and StM.
    But it is the main part of the unique class fantasy for priests: Improved dying!

I get the class fantasy now )))
    Shadow goes STM and has to die
    Holy goes OOM and has to die
    Disc fails to ramp up atonements before big aoe >> off the cliff

Martyrdom for paladins and priests make a lot of sense. Warhammer and World of Warcraft are built on very demonic themes - Good, Evil, and sacrifice are key underlying elements in the world, or at least very shallow representations of them, as the mythological references don't include instant resurrection.

and why is that
    Really? I guess you like spending consumables to rebuff every fight? I guess you like spending repair bills that no one else has to pay for. It's the same reason hunters don't have to buy arrows and bullets anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

I think if you're going OOM you either don't have good enough gear yet or your not using heal enough.

Deleted
    arrows and bullets were removed because they add nothing to the game

having to die to maximize your effectiveness does

7+ Year Old Account
    As long as you know the fight well enough, you can figure out the best way to kill yourself pretty easily. Not all fights have this, especially not toward the end of the fight (Star Augur does not have a reliable kill switch in P3, for example), but Skorpyron? Stand in the Arcanoslash. You are a clothy, you'll be torn to shreds, and it doesn't stun you or throw you back, much more reliable way to die.

Also, make sure to call for stop healing. It's not guaranteed because there is so much passive healing going around, but at least it's a better guarantee of a death and saves other healers mana not having to direct heal you while you're trying to kill yourself.

arrows and bullets were removed because they add nothing to the game

having to die to maximize your effectiveness does
    Better kinds of ammo produced better damage. Also you're wrong, they removed them because they didn't think hunters should have to pay gold to dps when no other class had to.

Deleted
    so because it had no gameplay implications then, agreed

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkaneer View Post
    Really? I guess you like spending consumables to rebuff every fight? I guess you like spending repair bills that no one else has to pay for. It's the same reason hunters don't have to buy arrows and bullets anymore.
    I actually save a lot of gold thanks to the legendary cloak. No repair costs, no lost consumables, allows me to survive mechanics that ignore usual immunities. Of course I'm going to use it for mana purposes, especially if it's some phases that requires heavy movement and a lot of throughput.
    I think if you're going OOM you either don't have good enough gear yet or your not using heal enough.
    If you're not going oom, you're not healing enough. There's a reason why extra 10% regen became popular in this tier, because we can always spend that mana on more PoH->Sanctify. And who uses "Heal", seriously? It's our worst healing spell, even if you combined legendary Bracers and Elisande trinket.

Also, in case you didn't notice - gear doesn't really improve mana regen in this expansion. Nighthold mana trinket is horrible and even with Amalgam + (Promises/devourer trinket) you can easily go oom. You're better off asking for Innervate/Wisdom.