Thread: 2024 MLB thread

Page 21 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    This article was written on July 20th: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...seball-history. Khris Davis finished at .247 (the A's did cheat a little, taking him out of the game before he could bat again today to keep him there).
    I'm disappointed they didn't find an excuse to mention Darin Erstad who had the most manic three year period I ever saw .253/.355/.258 average, .683/.951/.691 OPS.
    /s

Who gets home field in the world series if the Indians face the winner of the NL West?

According to the rules posted here:

https://www.mlb.com/news/world-serie...ge/c-252671498

World Series home-field advantage is now tied to regular-season records for the first time. But if the two pennant winners had identical records in the regular season, who would be the home team? The first tiebreaker is head-to-head record. If the clubs did not meet in Interleague Play, the tiebreaker would go to the team with the better overall record against teams in its own division.

Is it:

(1) The Indians, Dodgers and Rockies all went 91-71. Home field is determined by better record so that's a tie. So we drop down to the 1st tiebreaker which is head-to-head record but the Indians never met either club in the regular season. So we drop down to the 2nd tiebreaker which is better overall record against teams in its own division. The Indians won 49 games in the AL Central, the Dodgers won 44 games in the NL West, and the Rockies won 41 games in the NL West so the Indians have home field vs either the Dodgers or Rockies in the World Series.

OR is it:

(2) The Indians, Dodgers and Rockies all went 91-71. Home field is determined by better record so that's a tie HOWEVER the Dodgers and Rockies must play game 163 which COUNTS in the regular season record. Whoever wins game 163 wins the NL West at 92-71 and ALSO has a better record than the Indians. Therefore, the NL West winner has home field in the World Series against the Indians, and the Indians would have home field against the loser of game 163 between the Dodgers and Rockies.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    There were some nice final game tributes.

Joe Mauer put on his catching gear for the last time, and the first time in five years.
    Mariners had a tribute to Beltre and he did his usual goofing off.
    Hunter Pence got a couple of standing ovations.

Not sure if its the end for all those guys, but if they come back it could be in different uniforms.

Its definitely the end for David Wright who busted his ass in rehab to even make it out there for four and a half innings.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    ESPN broadcasters are terrible. I'm in misery listening to their bullshit.
    /s

My Beermakers making some noise! Bring it home Brewers!

10+ Year Old Account
    ESPN should be banned from hosting baseball until they fire their sound production person. Trying to mimic and emphasize sounds and echos is hell on a 5.1 system, and sounds nothing like actually being at the park.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    A's had the 2nd lowest payroll entering the season. Astros also were good with a lower payroll.
    they are teams that have to build within their farm system. while turns out good for some teams, not so much for others. Athletics while good this season who knows what they will be like next season or when say their Stars(AKA Chapman) wants to get paid, he will get traded since athletics will not be able to afford him. Its what essentially the lower pay roll teams are, Teams to develop players for the big market teams later.

Two divisional head-to-head games, first WC game (which should really be a three game series) is in the 13th inning. Nice start to postseason baseball.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Cubs gonna have a lot of time to do some hugging now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Cubs gonna have a lot of time to do some hugging now.
    I bet Daniel Murphy hates it.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Home plate ump in the Dodgers/Braves game is a fucking disaster.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    If I remember right, he was the Yankees entire offense last postseason as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Walker Buehler is living up to his name, sudden onset of the yips hopefully this doesn't reach Ankiel levels.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Walker Buehler is living up to his name, sudden onset of the yips hopefully this doesn't reach Ankiel levels.
    Yeah that was pretty bad, 4-0 walk to the pitcher with the bases loaded to give the Braves the first run they scored all series. The Acuna grandslam was kinda great, but it should have never gotten to the point that was possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    He went to pieces and then afterwards retired ten straight and ended up with a no-decision, very strange game.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Now its Grandal's turn to go to pieces.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Last year I saw Dave Roberts run the bullpen into the ground in the NLDS and NLCS and then they collapsed in the World Series under the workload. This year I'm seeing Counsel do the same thing to his bullpen. A day after going 13 innings (the bullpen pitched 10 and 2/3rds), today he pulled his starter after one hitter. That's gonna be asking the bullpen to throw ~20 innings in less than 24 hours.
    /s

Last year I saw Dave Roberts run the bullpen into the ground in the NLDS and NLCS and then they collapsed in the World Series under the workload. This year I'm seeing Counsel do the same thing to his bullpen. A day after going 13 innings (the bullpen pitched 10 and 2/3rds), today he pulled his starter after one hitter. That's gonna be asking the bullpen to throw ~20 innings in less than 24 hours.
    Woodruff is actually supposed to be a starter (all his appearances in AAA were starts). The Brewers were just being cute with the 1 batter thing. Of course then they left him in too long. Roberts relied too heavily on only 3 guys last year and they burned out. The Brewers are spreading things out a bit more, but wasted Hader in a 4-0 game so he wasn't available yesterday when they needed him.

15+ Year Old Account
    1 game from a boston - LA WS. Loving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea why Roberts puts Scott Alexander, a situational lefty, on the WS roster and then, when said situation arises, doesn't go to him and puts Alex Wood in instead. Wood has been ineffective and HR prone this postseason. Why is Alexander here if not to handle that situation with 2 men on? I'm baffled, oh well, Doc managed this game into a loss now. As soon as they announced Wood coming into the game I lost it...
    /s