Thread: 2024 MLB thread

Page 23 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently Segura was shopped with the Yankees as well, and being shopped with the Padres right now. Looks like the 2 clubhouse brawls involving him and low effort in the last week of the season leading to his benching didn't sit well with the FO. Especially after they paid him a decent chunk of money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Adrian Beltre is retiring, he was fun, got to see the start of his career here, pity he didn't stick around.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Adrian Beltre is retiring, he was fun, got to see the start of his career here, pity he didn't stick around.
    As fun as he was as a fan, I can't blame him. He's been hurt a decent amount the last 2 seasons and he'd most likely need to find a new team this year as the Rangers are in rebuild mode. I just wish there were more players like him that understood it is a game and to have fun with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mets really wanting to take Cano? I'd be ok with it.

Losing Diaz will suck, but meh. By the time the Mariners could be competitive again who knows if he will still be dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Congrats to the...do we have any Red Sox fans here?

They were the best all year long, they certainly earned this one.
    Absolutely. I'm a Red Sox nutter.

I agree.

#RedSoxNation !

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Mets really wanting to take Cano? I'd be ok with it.

Losing Diaz will suck, but meh. By the time the Mariners could be competitive again who knows if he will still be dominate.
    Hopefully while he's still young we'll be competitive again...

I did hear an argument (I think it was Danny O'Neil) that Dipoto should wait until the trade deadline to deal Diaz and squeeze a playoff team desperate for bullpen help, but we'll see what he can do. Rebuilds always suck (especially when there are teams that can practically sell their farm and then buy their way into competitiveness), but we'll see what comes out of it.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    Hopefully while he's still young we'll be competitive again...

I did hear an argument (I think it was Danny O'Neil) that Dipoto should wait until the trade deadline to deal Diaz and squeeze a playoff team desperate for bullpen help, but we'll see what he can do. Rebuilds always suck (especially when there are teams that can practically sell their farm and then buy their way into competitiveness), but we'll see what comes out of it.
    Thats a good point. What I heard (a few weeks ago) was 3 players were 100% safe. Mitch Haniger, Marco Gonzales, and Edwin Diaz. I think Diaz is why the trade is being held up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cano Diaz trade finalized. Segura likely to Phillies. Seager being shopped hard, but I don't see anybody biting on that. Then again, I said that about Cano.

Gonna be some really bad baseball ahead in Seattle. Its 100% necessary. Just hope the ownership is patient.

edit- details on the Segura trade.. ugh. They really just wanted to dump Segura.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/st...95536272412677
    Last edited by Vetali; 2018-12-03 at 08:57 PM.

Three of the worst Hall of Fame selections have now been added by these veteran's committees in the past 2 years. That's kinda not cool, especially when the worst one only got in because his boss is currently on the committee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lee Smith should be in, relievers are severely underrepresented, but Baines is inexplicable.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    The vet committee is terrible for the HOF. If Edgar misses I'd be much more pissed, but hes doing pretty good in early voting. +6 with ~30 public votes. Was 20 shy last year.

10+ Year Old Account
    and the Phillies blow $45mil on McCutchen because sub .800 OPS corner outfielders are somehow worth $15mil a year
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Mariners are wheeling and dealing, sending Segura for Santana and Santana for Encarnacion and presumably will be trading him away too, because who needs a pricey declining slugger during a rebuild? Speaking of which, wonder who will want Nelson Cruz.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    The Dodgers just dumped a ton of salary (and right handed bats) on the Reds, I guess its time for the big free agent push.
    /s

and the Phillies blow $45mil on McCutchen because sub .800 OPS corner outfielders are somehow worth $15mil a year
    Yea...I was annoyed at this signing. McCutchen isn't worth shit. But hey, the Phillies are stupid rich and can easily hit the luxury tax threshold and still be profitable, on top of the fact that they've been running like a small market team the last few years and piling up money. So whatever I guess. Too bad it's all for nothing as they won't get Bryce or Manny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tomorrow the HOF nominees are announced. Edgar is +25 so far, was 20 away last year. Would like some more votes in case some dumbfucks drop him that voted previously. Otherwise looking like he makes it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edgar better be in, the HoF is already useless, but to have Harold Baines and not Edgar Martinez would be pointlessly absurd and be all the reason to disregard it entirely. Also bummed there wasn't more of a push for Fred McGriff.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Good shit, now I will be ok with Ortiz getting in first ballot.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see Placido Polanco appeared on two ballots, which makes me wonder if those two voters even know what the fuck the Hall of Fame is for, especially when somebody like Miguel Tejada only appeared on five ballots.
    /s

I see Placido Polanco appeared on two ballots, which makes me wonder if those two voters even know what the fuck the Hall of Fame is for, especially when somebody like Miguel Tejada only appeared on five ballots.
    Funny thing is they're both about as good as Vizquel was and he got 182 votes.