Deleted
    It's not quite Montana/Young either. Montana had been injured for the better part of two seasons. When things came to a head when he was able to return, Young had had those seasons to establish himself as the guy in a way Jimmy G hasn't had. Young was MVP the second of those seasons even. So, the 49ers had a much surer thing to switch to.

15+ Year Old Account
    The funny thing is "if" the Patriots win the SB how much of this will be people remember.

Also calling Powergate.
    Last edited by Vestig3; 2018-01-05 at 03:44 PM.
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    So, ESPN brings out another hit piece on the Patriots, just before the playoffs when all the media attention should rightly be on the teams playing this week-end, instead of the team that is on a bye.

My thoughts on this: Thanks ESPN for giving Brady and the team some much needed motivation going into next week. Another year of us vs them, this never gets old.

That's all the thought I'm going to spend on this, cause pretty much every beat writer worth their salt in NE is going "there's no rift". Also pretty funny how there's not ONE person directly quoted in the article. All hear say, yet again.

But, nice to get something to get the team to stick up for eachother again. Much appreciated ESPN.

- - - Updated - - -

All Pro winners are out:

Gronk just made 2,5M dolars with this on his last contract incentive. Means he made his full 5,5M incentive. Good for the guy, he was awesome again this year.

- - - Updated - - -

"Raiders are calling a significant press conference for Tuesday at which time they will introduce Jon Gruden as their next head coach, as @corkonTheNFL reported."

Schefter.

It's happening. No idea how this will turn out, but Gruden to the Raiders for next season. Wild turn of events.

- - - Updated - - -

""Raiders are giving new head coach Jon Gruden a 10-year contract, the longest coaching deal in NFL history, sources tell ESPN. The deal is likely to be worth about $100 million." Schefter.

Holy moly. Raiders better be damn sure that Gruden is a good coach still, cause 10 years is an eternity in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by bajskorv View Post
    It's not quite Montana/Young either. Montana had been injured for the better part of two seasons. When things came to a head when he was able to return, Young had had those seasons to establish himself as the guy in a way Jimmy G hasn't had. Young was MVP the second of those seasons even. So, the 49ers had a much surer thing to switch to.
    Just as another good example I want to throw out Manning/Luck when Manning was out because of his neck. Turned into a business decision that allowed Manning to go to Denver. Had Luck not got injured himself I think the colts are a completely different team right now.

Transitioning an absolute legend of the QB position is never easy and has so many factors.

I don't get why the Raiders would give someone that has not coached in 10 years (with only 2 of his last 7 seasons better than 9-7) a 10 year deal. Hopefully it works out how I think it will.

As for that article. It is ESPN, I would be surprised if even 1/3rd of what is in it is legit. They are doing so poor financially right now they need any way to get people talking about them and giving them clicks.
    Last edited by Grube; 2018-01-05 at 06:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I think the ESPN thing is greatly overblown hyperbole, no one has a perfect working relationship without any disagreements. id imagine there had to be some over Jimmy G and Brady's doc, but not nearly to the level ESPN says.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gruden's coaching team rumours are coming out, it's almost a who's who.

Greg Olson returns to Oakland for his second stint from his current job as Rams QBC. Olson was part of that terrible 2014 season under Dennis Allen, running Gruden's playbook and with a far more talented offence should produce different results.

Alternative reports are suggesting instead that the OC will be the current Jets OC Jon Morton, he's an old student of Gruden's and pairing them up would make sense. After what he's done with the Jets this year, and going above all expectations, he's a popular target for rumours.

Bengals DC Paul Guenther has jumped ship to retain the same role (surprised Pagano is gone, but I bet he will have a HC role lined up before next season)

Gannon is also leaving the booth to serve as QBC, if anyone is going to teach Carr how to be a WCO QB, he's the ideal guy to do it. The only concern is Gruden and Gannon are notorious workaholics, can Derek put the level of commitment (which sacrifices a lot of your personal family life) needed, to be the guy they want.

And Rich Bisaccia who just got let out of his contract in Dallas as their ST coach is expected to fill the same role in Oakland.

Considering Gruden just got the most ridiculous contract (who locks a coach down to 10 years!?) They're certainly looking at big names in the coaching field to fill the various slots.

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol looking at the comment section on the NFL website from the all pro selections /popcorn
    - Vanilla was legitimately bad; we just didn't know any better at the time - SirCowDog

10+ Year Old Account
    Good to see Harrison Smith not get snubbed for the all-pro. Also, Pharoh Cooper? Don't even know that name.

Speaking of Oakland, their LB coach is heading to coach with Dan Mullen at Florida.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im going to fundamentally disagree that the guy on 1st team is better than Zack Martin on the 2nd team, but whatevs...

The lists are just funny to look at. There are players that should be edge, but are listed as linebackers, 3-4 d-ends listed as edge when there is an interior d-line spot (which 3-4 lineman are considered), Ingram didn't make it but Kamara did. Slater only played half the season and he is second team. Sucks for the players that have contract incentives based on it, but it doesn't matter outside that.

10+ Year Old Account
    1st Team All Pro for Whitworth, maybe the best Free Agent signing of the year.

Also happy to see the respect for Cam Jordan since he was awesome.

I don't know how to feel about the ESPN article. Brady's agent could have issued a blanket denial today, but didn't. All he said was "Don't believe everything you read."

On Bills radio today they were basically mocking Sean McDermott's belief in "culture" and "the process" - the latter has almost become a meme in the Bills fandom, that we just have to "trust the process" which means never questioning the coach. The best part is, stat-wise, this team was worse than either of Rex's teams, and worse than Doug Marrone's 9-7 team, but they snuck in the playoffs, so he's going to get a pass. Anyways, our radio guys were saying, "Man, that culture in New England...........so toxic......still won 13 games." And basically rolled their eyes at the whole thing, while at the same time hoping it's true and the Patriots are about to burn to the ground.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way the article portrays Belichick and Kraft is nothing new, it must be the negatives around Brady that are upsetting people, since I already hated him they did nothing for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, and Lamar Jackson all declared for the draft this week.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I don't know how to feel about the ESPN article. Brady's agent could have issued a blanket denial today, but didn't. All he said was "Don't believe everything you read."
    "I don't really know what to say - it's tough to have a response since it didn't appear to me to have one on-the-record quote. All I can suggest is don't believe everything you read."

Was his full quote which is about as good as you can hope. The article seemed like trash to me, ESPN "journalism" at it's finest. Everything was vague references and refusal to name anyone in particular indicates most or all of it could just be made up. The whole storyline seemed silly anyway, just fantasy made up by someone who dislikes the Patriots.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just find it weird that Belichick would allow someone not affiliated with the team remain so close. Seems very un-Belichick. And if ESPN is right, then it'd be pretty funny if a guy using Tom Brady to slingshot his career ends up creating this "rift" in the Patriots organization. Dude seems like a scummy leach if true. I don't think it is.

Have to wonder if their pre playoffs hottaek was Pete Carroll retiring, then they decided to burn that when he shot it down and move to this.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    (surprised Pagano is gone, but I bet he will have a HC role lined up before next season)
    I've always felt the Colts steadily declined after Pagano took back his role compared to the heights Bruce Arians led them to, yet people associate a lot of the success with Pagano.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

cant wait for some football tomorrow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ProphetFlume View Post
    I've always felt the Colts steadily declined after Pagano took back his role compared to the heights Bruce Arians led them to, yet people associate a lot of the success with Pagano.
    Wrong Pagano brother.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no way they sign a 10 year contract without some clauses. Surely. Like 3 losing seasons in a row would void the rest or some shit. But do coaches contracts come out of the cap? Otherwise doesn't seem that risky.