Returning to the game, looking for advice (Guardian & Resto)

Hello Druids,

I'm returning to the game since November. My old main currently has level 25 artifact power and enough order resources to provide my Druid up to 20 artifact knowledge. I had initially been interested in Feral, although assessing their current state it may not be the most ideal to play. Also considering the fact that it's practically a one dimension DPS spec, it is a DPS spec, and it's melee, all three unappealing cases to bring in groups and raids. So I thought about playing Guardian and/or Resto in order to first and foremost catch up on gear, but as well as have an easier time establishing groups and connections which would hopefully later put me in more advantageous situations to play Feral.

My questions are: should I stick to only one spec, Guardian or Resto, and master or play it well, or would it be wise to play both, even if that meant I would have to grind more AP in the long run having to provide for three specs? If I were to play both Guardian and Resto, which should I prioritize loot spec for legendaries?

Another is what would be the ideal way to get caught up in gear/AP? I'm assuming mythic+'s, but would raids be worth the time invested? Or would it be feasible to only stick with mythic+?

Lastly and off topic, but will I be able to send the bind on account artifact knowledge to lower level toons, and would they be able to learn them before level 100?

Bonus question I guess, but has Blizzard confirmed or addressed the concern of being able to keep/use the different forms after legion is over without the use of the weapons or weapon types?

In your situation, if you don't mind playing Resto and enjoy it, I would look at that. It's hard to get into a raid group as a tank since they only need 2 at most, most of the time, and as a healer you can get by without knowing all the mechanics (until you learn them). If you don't know a certain mechanic as a tank, it might wipe the raid.

I've found it's pretty easy to find M+ groups as a healer (and a tank).

Playing M+'s as high as your gear allows gets you geared up pretty quick. I would also do raid finder when your item level allows it.

I would not try to level Guardian and Resto at the same time. Pick one and work on it.
    BigCrits.com - real people conquering a virtual world!

Quote Originally Posted by Icecreamcake View Post
    Hello Druids,

I'm returning to the game since November. My old main currently has level 25 artifact power and enough order resources to provide my Druid up to 20 artifact knowledge. I had initially been interested in Feral, although assessing their current state it may not be the most ideal to play. Also considering the fact that it's practically a one dimension DPS spec, it is a DPS spec, and it's melee, all three unappealing cases to bring in groups and raids. So I thought about playing Guardian and/or Resto in order to first and foremost catch up on gear, but as well as have an easier time establishing groups and connections which would hopefully later put me in more advantageous situations to play Feral.

My questions are: should I stick to only one spec, Guardian or Resto, and master or play it well, or would it be wise to play both, even if that meant I would have to grind more AP in the long run having to provide for three specs? If I were to play both Guardian and Resto, which should I prioritize loot spec for legendaries?

Another is what would be the ideal way to get caught up in gear/AP? I'm assuming mythic+'s, but would raids be worth the time invested? Or would it be feasible to only stick with mythic+?

Lastly and off topic, but will I be able to send the bind on account artifact knowledge to lower level toons, and would they be able to learn them before level 100?

Bonus question I guess, but has Blizzard confirmed or addressed the concern of being able to keep/use the different forms after legion is over without the use of the weapons or weapon types?
    Clavarnway answered spec related questions which I believe what I'd have written as well so I'm going to answer the last bit.

You can send Artifact Knowledge items from one character to another but you will only be able to use them at 110.

They said some time ago (I think it was Ion Hazzikostas who said this in a Q&A) they are thinking of letting us use the skins in later expansions on the assumption we got them at Legion. Will this change in any way? No one knows.
    People hated MoP but now many say it is the "Best" expansion. Given enough time, WoD will be the "Best" as well, I dare say.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Icecreamcake View Post
    My questions are: should I stick to only one spec, Guardian or Resto, and master or play it well, or would it be wise to play both
    In the end, provided you play several hours a week, you'll end up wanting both specs. So don't worry about that - you'll get there eventually. You can't do it at the same time, however, so picking a main spec remains relevant.

The choice depends on a number of things. First of all, if you aren't level 110 you're gonna need to level up. For that reason alone I'd go with Guardian. Guardian druids do nice damage, especially if you pull a large number of mobs and AoE them down. Many DPS specs can't do mass pulls because it kills them dealing with multiple mobs at the same time. I've levelled 3 chars in their respective tank spec for this reason and I found it didn't take longer than levelling as a DPS spec.
    Also, levelling in any spec doesn't get that spec further ahead of any other specs. You'll only have a minimal amount of artifact power from levelling, so switching spec at 110 won't set you back at all. Relics are easily acquired via World Quests and the AH, so I'll say they don't factor into it either.

Once you hit 110, you're gonna have to make a choice though.
    I alternate between tanking and healing on my druid, because I like the option to fill the role I desire at a given moment. My main spec, however, is resto.
    What that means is after I invested enough AP into both Guardian and Resto artifacts to get 35 traits in each, I started focus on the Resto weapon. I also gear toward Resto, meaning my loot spec is Resto and I go for stats that Resto wants. Your loot spec also matters because of the Legendary system.

Which spec you eventually decide upon should depend on your preferences, rather than a role's availability. Personally, I don't think it's more difficult getting into groups as a tank than as a healer (as opposed to what someone else said). Playing as either will make your life easier when it comes to being invited to do content of any sort. That's my experience.
    For dungeons (meaning Mythic+), tanks are a tiny, weeny bit more sought after, if you ask me (but not enough to make a difference). I reckon that's because there are fewer people willing to tank because of the high pressure on the tank in high M+. There are several affixes that require extra skill and attention from the tank (although in high M+ it really is a team effort) compared to healers and DPS. As someone said before me: if a tank doesn't know a mechanic in can wipe the whole group, whereas if a DPS or a healer doesn't know what to do, it may end up only killing them. It's always been like that, however. Ever since vanilla, so it's nothing new in this expansion. There are also affixes in M+ and raid encounters where DPS and healers need to pay extra close attention to what they're doing, so it's not all down to the tank's performance.

For me, the difference between the specs is rather how the different roles feel. I definately feel like the healer role offers more relaxing gameplay, whereas the tank role requires you to be on your toes a lot more. Mind you, in very difficult content, everyone must pay attention and you can't relax at all even as a healer.
    As a tank, you sort of become the leader of the group, being the one who decides which packs of mobs to pull and which paths to take where there are options.
    There's just more pressure on the tank, I feel.
    The upside to this, of course, is that you have more control over the group and that you get to dish out decent damage while you're in the thick of it taking the damage that would kill a weakling DPS in a heartbeat. That always feels nice.