Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Honor is for people who love to dress war up as anything other than the organized slaughter that it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    It bears mentioning that the honor codes like bushido typically put honor ahead of survival. As a social system, it makes a bit of sense, since if you can get everyone on board, you can get them all backing each other and refusing to act dishonorably. But without a society built around it, it's pretty much not going to be helpful. The only reason to put honor ahead of your survival is if you think that dying honorably is a greater value to society than living dishonorably. That may have made sense for warrior castes in Feudal Japan or medieval England, but it's pretty silly today, taken beyond the level of "don't be a shithead to your fellow trainees and sparring partners".

Deleted
    No, I'd do whatever it takes to not be hurt.

No.

For the same I laugh when people say stupid shit like, "Why do you need a gun? Real men fight with their fists"

lmao

If it is a fight over pride I would say fight fair so long as they do as at the end of the day, both of you go home and able to nurse your wounds and move on. If they do not fight fair, then those rules are off.

If it is a fight for survival or to protect the ones I care for, all rules are off, especially with my crippled ass. I will use whatever weapon I have at my disposal, I am going for throats, I am going for nuts, I am going for eyeballs and I am going to thunderclap your ear drums and try and knock your knees sideways, I will bite, rake and claw if I have to. If it is me or you or someone I care for, it will be you and even if it ends up being me, I am taking you with me. I have too many who I care for and who care for me and I have no intentions of going anywhere.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a person heavily involved in martial arts - No one in the modern era is going to give a shit about honour if it means sacrificing survival. Having honour is a great quality when it comes to interacting with other humans, but when your life is on the line you're going to do what needs done for preservation or self or family. It might have made sense in certain cultural or historical contexts when it was part of a greater social code but everyone is going to fight dirty when they're attacked on the street.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Honor only matters in structured/competitive fighting these days. Survival always comes first when that's what it's down to.
    Battletag(US): Bradski#11752
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    What do you call a tsundere Wookie? Chew-b-b-baka

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It bears mentioning that the honor codes like bushido typically put honor ahead of survival. As a social system, it makes a bit of sense, since if you can get everyone on board, you can get them all backing each other and refusing to act dishonorably. But without a society built around it, it's pretty much not going to be helpful. The only reason to put honor ahead of your survival is if you think that dying honorably is a greater value to society than living dishonorably. That may have made sense for warrior castes in Feudal Japan or medieval England, but it's pretty silly today, taken beyond the level of "don't be a shithead to your fellow trainees and sparring partners".
    Honor is very similar to religion when it is codified across society.

Also, when almost anyone you are sitting down with could conceivably be on the verge of murdering you, it is incredibly useful to have a highly codified system of etiquette based around a mutual expression of intention to not murder each other.

Human beings are not well adapted to living in a system of extreme social chaos where it is constantly a battle for survival. Nowadays people romanticize it, but that is only because we enjoy such stability and peace. Most people would go nuts if they suddenly found themselves in free-for-all world.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
    Bingo. /12345

Quote Originally Posted by Nelaphim-EX View Post
    If you are in a ring/arena/whatever and there are rules to the fight? Sure. You should respect them.

If you are attacked and are worried that you will sustain bodily harm or even death? Then you should do whatever you need feel you need to in order to protect yourself/others.
    A ring doesn't fucking matter.

Shitheads will lure people in to kill them, fucking shitheads will invent the entire sport of honorable arena to socially coerce and blackmail people into there to kill them.

That's what the roman coliseum was. There's exactly zero honor anywhere, we need to tell people to never trust and don't throw their lives away on that crap.

Fighting fair is for suckers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Bingo. /12345
    I remember reading about that scene, it was actually improvised and they just stuck with it. Originally it had a whole fight scene to go with it but Harrison was sick and did that and the actor went with it and it just worked great.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Survival first. When survival is secured, you should do everything you can to prevent escalation.

If you knock someone who tried to mug you, and he lost consciousness, you should try to call the police and move out as quickly as you can.

However, when survival is not secured, you have the right to defend yourself in any possible way. Biting an ear off, kicking in the genital area, thumbs in eyes. Don't ever let honor get in the way of survival.

On the other hand, don't let hysteria and panic blind your ability to reason if your life is in danger. You will absolutely not be able to remain cold during a fight, but you should try not to be in a mental fog within acceptable limits.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by Rolow View Post
    Funny thing is in that scene he was supposed to have a sword fight but Harrison Ford wasn't feeling well and decided to just do that instead and they liked it. I always thought it fit his character more than an unnecessary sword fight though.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    What are your sources?
    I've been in martial arts all my life and I've heard a bunch of crap like that. One school teaches that you should take your shoes off before a street fight(Though in my State kicking someone in the head with a show is a big no-no if the DA is aware of it) As far as I'm concerned my limits are whatever the self-defense laws place on me, and my conscience.

If somebody threatened my own life or the lives of someone I cared about then I would be doing whatever it takes to attempt to stop them, honour be damned. I'd fight dirty if I had to - and whilst it's easy to say that whilst sat at my keyboard I've been unfortunate enough to be in a situation where such was required of me in the past.

I imagine many people would do the same - if someone you really care about is in danger even the most mild mannered of people can become fuelled by anger and adrenaline to pull off some impressive feats after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    For those who like to fight, it's propably a thing. I'm not a fighter so:
    If I'll ever get in to a fight, I will go for the ETG-tactic. Eyes, throat and groin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Deleted
    Honor is for dead men. Graveyards are filled with honorable men.