Page 20 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Add me to the "Too good to be true" list. That's not to say I don't want to be wrong. I'd love for an MMO to come along and capture the market with a fresh and different offering. But the more I listen to the features the more it sounds worryingly like feature creep. Especially when I hear the main guy already talking about expansions. It just feels a little like the cart before the horse. But like I said, I'd love to be wrong and for this game to be amazing. However I'll be holding my judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    I Think like most "wow killers", people will flock to it for a few months, realise its not as good as it's made out to be, and then return to WOW... happened so many times now, with Aion, wildstar, starwars, etc... only one that's still around is guild wars 2 that's not exactly competing, but the wow team seem to steal ideas from them a lot of the time... The new AH setup being one of them.
    I'm pretty sure FF14 is still pretty popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chubbybunny View Post
    I Think like most "wow killers", people will flock to it for a few months, realise its not as good as it's made out to be, and then return to WOW... happened so many times now, with Aion, wildstar, starwars, etc... only one that's still around is guild wars 2 that's not exactly competing, but the wow team seem to steal ideas from them a lot of the time... The new AH setup being one of them.
    There are plenty of popular MMOs out there other then wow and guild wars 2. Most stopped comparing themselves to wow though since wow isn't really viewed the same as it was. Instead of being the gold standard for MMOs, it is now more that oddity that sticks around despite being outdated.

I am always wary of MMOs that seem to rely heavily on player input. This game sounds great on paper, but if they don't get the large player base they seem to think they will, I don't see how it will work.
    Last edited by Skizzit; 2020-07-26 at 11:20 AM.

Dreadlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I watched Steven interview and this MMO feels like a Lineage 2/ArchAge/BDO fan project. I've spend a lot of time in those games, L2 and BDO (and money) and i see where his ideas are coming from.
    I wish him luck, game looks clunky (animation, character movement and feels) at the moment, but it''s still pre-alpha and i hope he will continue to polish it. As for those negative Andys, who is calming this game will be dead on arrival or a guy is a scammer: he literally said there will be no NDAs on testing, and since you don't have to purchase the box to play...you people are the worst.
    Personally i'm not too hyped, but will check on its progress and how devs will deliver on promises. Steven said they won't release the game until it's ready, so there is a slight hope there.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    I'm pretty sure FF14 is still pretty popular.
    FF14 has a different target audience. It's aimed at casual and console players who just want some cool fantasy shit with dungeons and whatnot. The difficulty of that game is an absolute joke, and so it's not attractive to the more hardcore gamers - and it's not trying to be. Which is totally fine.

The problem is that you need some MASSIVE pull to make that work, and FF14 got it wrong once before - let us not forget this is the second FF14, because the first folded spectacularly. And it's a brand with THE most recognizable RPG series name in the world.

Some new rando commando non-franchise MMO basically has zero chance of making it right now. This is looking to be exactly what all the other games like it turned out to be: a flashy product pushed for a big release hype to grab quick cash, and then fizzling out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Collected View Post
    If the game allows it's beta to be streamed then I'm not sure how they'd be able to con anyone. It's going to be pretty obvious what this MMO is by the time people have to make the call on spending their first $15 or whatever the monthly cost is.
    Dude that not how this is going to work. Steven Sharif knows the game. It's not about creating a good game its about convincing the streamer class and their audiences that he is a good man that understands them and is doing his best to create a real mmo. That's why he's having all of these in depth interviews and talks. He's a scammer that understands what his prey craves for. He does the old politician trick where he masquerades as one of us. He even does the Trump trick and tell us that its all self funded and he's "retired" to convince us that its all done with good intentions.

This whole "transparency" "we care what y'all want and would like to hear" is all their way of prodding the streamers to cover their game as much as they can where even people that think the game won't be good won't be able to ignore it. Generate the hype train, keep it going until the game is out and then when everything that was promised isn't there they're going remind everyone that this is a work in progress and that y'all need to be patient. The $15 dollars a month garbage should be an immediate red flag to anyone that understands how the scam works. It's all about getting kids hooked on the game through streamer influence and fake promises from master Sharif to string them along long enough to rake in massive profits.

The game won't die early on. It's being built to make Sharif as much money as he can squeeze out of it. His investment on the game will be nothing compared to the profit.

I am curious. Where does this Steven Sharif being a scammer comes from? I very quickly went trough this entire thread with search for his name. No one else but you have talked anything bad about him. What games/things has he been involved with previously? Where does the distrust come from?

If it was something relevant, I'd expect more people talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    I am curious. Where does this Steven Sharif being a scammer comes from? I very quickly went trough this entire thread with search for his name. No one else but you have talked anything bad about him. What games/things has he been involved with previously? Where does the distrust come from?

I'm not sure, but I think it has to do with that Apocalypse game they made. It's so far the only controversy regarding the game that I know of.

Also, why are there so many people crying about it not being the next "WoW-killer"? Nobody claimed it will be. Not every new MMO has to try and kill WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Baine is like the most unlikeable character you are supposed to like.

Looks awful i give it two months.
    The Man in Black: “They come. They fight. They destroy. They corrupt. It always ends the same.”
    Jacob: “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rorke View Post
    Dude that not how this is going to work. Steven Sharif knows the game. It's not about creating a good game its about convincing the streamer class and their audiences that he is a good man that understands them and is doing his best to create a real mmo. That's why he's having all of these in depth interviews and talks. He's a scammer that understands what his prey craves for. He does the old politician trick where he masquerades as one of us. He even does the Trump trick and tell us that its all self funded and he's "retired" to convince us that its all done with good intentions.

This whole "transparency" "we care what y'all want and would like to hear" is all their way of prodding the streamers to cover their game as much as they can where even people that think the game won't be good won't be able to ignore it. Generate the hype train, keep it going until the game is out and then when everything that was promised isn't there they're going remind everyone that this is a work in progress and that y'all need to be patient. The $15 dollars a month garbage should be an immediate red flag to anyone that understands how the scam works. It's all about getting kids hooked on the game through streamer influence and fake promises from master Sharif to string them along long enough to rake in massive profits.

The game won't die early on. It's being built to make Sharif as much money as he can squeeze out of it. His investment on the game will be nothing compared to the profit.
    I mean it's reasonable to have healthy scepticism, but outright declaring the guy a scammer before you've even seen the final product shows strong negative bias. The advantage of streaming and watching streams is that if the game is shit, everyone will see it, and it won't matter that someone playing it will try to talk it up.

I don't see how 15 dollar subscribtion is a red flag. I mean WoW has a subscribtion....and somehow many are still playing it and enjoying it.
    Armory Link
    Mount Collection

Everything wrong with gamers in one sentence:
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavox View Post
    I want Activision-Blizzard to burn, but for crimes against gaming, not because they got me too'd.

It doesn't take a genius to realize the guy is a scammer
    Una melodía tocada por las cuerdas de nuestras almas,
    y el ritmo que nos sacudió hasta el hueso

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorke View Post

I'm not exactly hyped or even all that interested in this game but dude, maybe you shouldn't have downed the red pill. Yeesh.

The way the dude talked trying very hard and using swear words to endear himself with the streamers's audiences just made me uneasy lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post

I'm way out of touch with this game but when AoC first arrived on the scene people dug up connections between Sharif and some multi level marketing scheme, XanGo iirc and this was at a time where the anti-MLM sentiment was gaining traction.
    He was reported to KS for a MLM-like referral scheme he was using with AoC, He also claimed to be self-funding the game with $30 million and that KS was simply for additional stuff, which turned out to not really be true iirc. He wasn't actually self-funding, he just had investors lined up.

As always, there was people looking to dig dirt and spread shit but there were also quite a few mis-steps by Sharif and even a good dose of bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's mostly a sandbox pvp style game with some pve, no raids is a no buy from me.
    We get it, you wont be playing. Care to state it a THIRD time?

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    We get it, you wont be playing. Care to state it a THIRD time?
    God forbid I respond to someone who was talking to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    snip
    I googled quite a bit about it and all I can find out is that Sharif is prepared to fund the game by himself if necessary.
    I don't see a problem with anything he has done or said so far.

He made a lot of money when he was long, retired at age 24 and has enough money to fund a passion-project (however that might turn out)

It's hard to call this a scam, even the game itself looks like it is currently at a developed stage you'd expect it to be.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2020-07-27 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    I googled quite a bit about it and all I can find out is that Sharif is prepared to fund the game by himself if necessary.
    I don't see a problem with anything he has done or said so far.
    That is what he alleged but in an interview with massivelyop.com (I think) it came out as something different. So he was telling people one thing while the truth was something else.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZ33 View Post
    It's hard to call this a scam, even the game itself looks like it is currently at a developed stage you'd expect it to be.
    I wouldn't have called it a scam back then and I certainly wouldn't call it one now although I didn't like the referral program at the time. All that ever leads to is people spamming referral codes all over the place and no one appreciates that crap

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    That is what he alleged but in an interview with massivelyop.com (I think) it came out as something different. So he was telling people one thing while the truth was something else.
    Yeah I saw that interview I think. But it sounded more like "currently, the money being used is out of my own pocket"
    It's not like he said he threw 30m$ at it and now they can use it.
    It's more like "this will probably cost us around 30m$ and if needed, I am prepared to stem it myself."

"The project is being funded by myself currently. This is going to be a bigger game, content-wise, than Crowfall, and our budget and funding reflects that. A core viable build that includes all the features discussed about the game will take roughly $30 million to complete. "

Quote Originally Posted by apelsinjuice View Post
    so many promises promises and nothing shown, so much hype lately because of youtuber lazypeon now everyone like asmongold is hyping it to the skies, once again claiming it as the wow killer for the 25th time, even after being burned just like this and saying it will never happen again people obviously dont learn anything at all, just like most recent "bless online" was the wow killer, or how lazypeon made 10 different videos on how archage reborn was the best game ever created and then 1 month later "why i stopped playing archage"

the hype for this game was almost dead just a few weeks ago before lazypeons recent youtube video

i would bet all my savings on streamers/youtubers claiming ashes of creation as "dead" 3 months after launch
    Lazypeon is legit one of the most obnoxious content creators I ve ever seen.
    He reminds me of one of my friends who I used to play with where one minute he was mega hyped to come raid and then the next week he was already bored and playing another game cause he had the attention span of a squirel.
    If the game gets released its going to follow the usual: "Why Ashes of creation is the best MMO ever right now"...... "insert 10 videos about ashes of creation"...... "why I stoped playing ashes of creation"........ "insert random post about personal mental issues and a video about going on a short youtube hiatus"...... "post about moving to a random new country"..... "find new MMO to hype".