Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Leveling slowly is not a good idea, it should have a decent pace or else people won't bother.
    Pace is not about how fast can you reach max level. Pace is about how story speed goes or does it feel that character is getting more powerful.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Pace is not about how fast can you reach max level. Pace is about how story speed goes or does it feel that character is getting more powerful.
    The story is completely besides the point once you have done it once (or it sucks to begin with). The problem is if all the things you do below max level are invalidated the second you reach max level, there is no reason to ever want to enjoy leveling.

An illustrative example: because on Classic you need flightpaths to get around, gathering FPs makes you feel like your character is making meaningful progress even at low levels. On retail, that's no longer the case and leveling feels like a chore, a necessary step that just has to be completed in order to be completely overriden by what you do at max level.

Some games try to solve this by "any item can drop at any level" but then fall into the trap that higher levels have better chance to drop the good items, which is the same thing, but with the illusion of a lottery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    The story is completely besides the point once you have done it once (or it sucks to begin with). The problem is if all the things you do below max level are invalidated the second you reach max level, there is no reason to ever want to enjoy leveling.

An illustrative example: because on Classic you need flightpaths to get around, gathering FPs makes you feel like your character is making meaningful progress even at low levels. On retail, that's no longer the case and leveling feels like a chore, a necessary step that just has to be completed in order to be completely overriden by what you do at max level.

Some games try to solve this by "any item can drop at any level" but then fall into the trap that higher levels have better chance to drop the good items, which is the same thing, but with the illusion of a lottery.
    You are already biased by WoW, you simply think that you can't do shit unless you hit max level. And this is not the case with AoC.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

You are already biased by WoW, you simply think that you can't do shit unless you hit max level. And this is not the case with AoC.
    No, I'm saying that IF you can't do longterm-meaningful shit while not max level, making leveling take long only leads to annoyed players. I did not comment whether this is or isn't the case with Ashes, because we know fuck all about how that will turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    No, I'm saying that IF you can't do longterm-meaningful shit while not max level, making leveling take long only leads to annoyed players. I did not comment whether this is or isn't the case with Ashes, because we know fuck all about how that will turn out.
    But you can. This has been already confirmed. You can start progressing towards longer term goals before reaching max level.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

But you can. This has been already confirmed. You can start progressing towards longer term goals before reaching max level.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's easy to promise the moon. Promises don't make sad people until they are broken, and in the gaming industry they are broken more often than not. Ultimately you almost always sort of end up in a place where X was supposed to be good because of Y but Y is nowhere to be found, so X is dogshit.

If character level is not tied to powerlevel, then characterlevels are pointless.
    Since that is very unlikely, the pace on how you gain character levels is important because it's directly tied to how you gain power.

No one wants to sit around at lvl 10 with 1/10 of your kit.
    It's much less of an issue when you are at lvl 90 with 9/10 of your kit and dream talents.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-04-15 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Leveling slowly is not a good idea, it should have a decent pace or else people won't bother.
    leveling can be really slow and be good if done well,look at single player rpg's.lvling and the experience along the way is the best part,not the engame,sure some of them have decent endgame also,but thats clearly not the target

AoC Raid boss gameplay video;

https://youtu.be/hBrnv249kJ0

I have to say this new gameplay video of a Raid boss fight looks truly amazing, and next gen.

Will this finally be a good MMORPG, and not another over hyped and under delivered game?

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post

I have to say this new gameplay video of a Raid boss fight looks truly amazing, and next gen.

Will this finally be a good MMORPG, and not another over hyped and under delivered game?
    Decent graphics, but clunky looking as hell, i know its "alpha" and everything but knowing every past MMO, that wont go away easily.

Secondary, its obviously an irrelevant world "event", so not really "boss" as they are so many around as he shows, unless its for testing purposes but even so, looks like every other thing out there that you just burst down cause world content cant be hard.

I really wish they would stop that shizzle about irrelevant world stuff, and make them instanced, add a couple more abilities and tuning and make it semi-enjoyable, it doesnt have to be World ranking raid difficulty the first week of release, but stuff like "This ability does 500 damage and 1000 every 3 seconds you stand in it" and you can take 3 ticks, is just sad, we have seen this already in every mmo the last 15 years, some innovation man.

The good thing about Ashes of Creation is that it looks promising to deliver a few weeks of fun compared to other pointless MMORPG releases.
    Last edited by potis; 2021-05-03 at 08:52 PM.

Graphics are great. I don't think I could even check it out if I wanted to, at this point in my life. Not that it's going to be good beyond the initial hype, anyway.

EDIT: Wow, that class system looks fun. 64 total classes! Rogue/Mage is the class fantasy I tend to enjoy the most. I think Rift is the only game that's let me do that so far. Definitely a little more interested after seeing that.
    Last edited by Zafire; 2021-05-03 at 09:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Decent graphics, but clunky looking as hell, i know its "alpha" and everything but knowing every past MMO, that wont go away easily.
    My thoughts exactly seeing that.

Dragon looks very good and characters look ok, but they seem to be really poorly animated and the fight itself - many characters seem to be just strafing or standing there and barely any decent combat visuals coming from them. There was this prismatic whatever spell that looked nice, but that seemed about it and characters overall looked pretty stiff to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    My thoughts exactly seeing that.

Dragon looks very good and characters look ok, but they seem to be really poorly animated and the fight itself - many characters seem to be just strafing or standing there and barely any decent combat visuals coming from them. There was this prismatic whatever spell that looked nice, but that seemed about it and characters overall looked pretty stiff to me.
    Yeah, after playing so many games of all kinds you tend to learn this stuff, they have to start from somewhere, newbie animators, newbie devs, they learn as they do, so the first ones are always clunky, then its too deep to change and there you have it (Path of Exile has the same problem thats why PoE 2 is being made), the characters get created first and of course they look/move terribly because knowledge+ assets.

The best part of the video is the frost dragon breath, the dragon dives down and all, but the breath effect is literally coming from its stomach .

Long way to go as a game, but i wont lie, it will probably one of the options to fill in between burn out of WoW patches.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    the overall design is pretty ...for lack of a better word...generic. You know...the sort of thing where you can pick 10 MMOs with whatever the latest game engine is..and you can't tell one from the other as a normal consumer?
    This is one of the major reason I'm having a hard time to get hyped for this game while it's touted mechanics does seem interesting, I just get the feeling that if the devs had just bought some asset packs from UE marketplace I wouldn't have noticed much of a difference.

I really enjoyed watching the guy just run around do almost nothing in most of the video.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    This is one of the major reason I'm having a hard time to get hyped for this game while it's touted mechanics does seem interesting, I just get the feeling that if the devs had just bought some asset packs from UE marketplace I wouldn't have noticed much of a difference.
    Sounds like Arch Age where about 12-14 were viable and the rest were just "fun" classes to try out.

That boss looks pretty generic to me? I think ESO's Eleswyr expansion dragon world boss fights are cooler. It looks nice I guess, but with a massive MMO I'll probably have to turn the graphics down anyway due to FPS issues when lots of players are around.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2021-05-04 at 01:46 AM.

The graphics look fine to me even the animations for the most part. The most egregious one was the dragon turning on a dime and the attack animation looking like it's attacking something half it's size, not 1/20th as the humanoid characters clearly are. The same issues you can find in WoW though.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

In my opinion, the fight against the dragon looked very fine.
    Maybe a bit of tuning here and there but the animations were okay enough for an MMO for sure.

The only thing that needs to be adjusted and shouldn't be too hard to fix is the dragon hitting something mid-air.
    But even that is nothing I really need to have done for me to enjoy a fight like that.
    Last edited by KrayZ33; 2021-05-04 at 07:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the game is shaping up pretty nice. The earlier video's i watched i thought were way worse. This could turn out to become a pretty nice game.
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post

lol cant tell if sarcastic or not