looking to upgrade video card and need help

Currently using an Evga Gtx 550 Ti attached to an Asus p8z68-v pro/gen3 with 16gb of ram and a 2nd gen i5-2500k "never been overclocked (top of the line when I built it many years ago)

It actually runs the new Mass effect Andromeda quite nicely other than an occasional screen freeze that only lasts 2-3 seconds
    (during several hours of gaming)

I want to upgrade the video card but I've not kept up with computer hardware at all in many years so not sure exactly what options I have and I would like to spend no more than $150 (preferably for something that supports 4k resolutions as my monitor is actually a 55" 4k Visio television but 4k resolutions not mandatory for the upgrade.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

yeah, you are not going to get playable 4k frame rate with a 150$ GPU , above card is decent for the money.

Dont think they planned on 4k gaming, just a card that supports the resolution.

1050 Ti is probably the best you're going to get for $150, although I'd recommend you save more and get the 1060. Forget 4K gaming. It's not happening sub-$500.

10+ Year Old Account
    The RX 470 has 4GB of VRAM and will out do a 1050 Ti.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-hard...?skuId=5549800

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The RX 470 has 4GB of VRAM and will out do a 1050 Ti.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xfx-hard...?skuId=5549800
    Notice that is pci express 3.0, My motherboard is 2.0. I know when it came to 2.0 and it's predecessor the newer cards were backward compatible "with a potential performance loss is that the case with 3.0 cards on 2.0 systems

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Notice that is pci express 3.0, My motherboard is 2.0. I know when it came to 2.0 and it's predecessor the newer cards were backward compatible "with a potential performance loss is that the case with 3.0 cards on 2.0 systems
    They are still backward compatible and I do not think a 1050ti or a 470 will use near enough bandwidth to even fill the lanes on a 1.0 board, so 2.0 will be fine. Sure if you are running SLI 1080's/1080ti's or a Titan XP you might be bottlenecked by the bandwidth on 2.0, but I'm not even 100%% sure on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    It won't do anything, trust me. The RX 470 will function just fine.

There is a shockingly minimal effect on the performance of video cards until you get to a really bandwidth starved set up. Something like an x4 PCIe 1.0 or a 1x lane PCIe 3.0.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...caling/10.html

Quote Originally Posted by Akainakali View Post
    There is a shockingly minimal effect on the performance of video cards until you get to a really bandwidth starved set up. Something like an x4 PCIe 1.0 or a 1x lane PCIe 3.0.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/...caling/10.html
    It takes a 4x PCIe 3.0 lane to starve a GTX 1080, 1080Ti, or Titan X/Xp.

even a GTX 1070 doesn't get starved by a 4x lane.

a 16x 2.0 lane will be more than enough for any modern card.