Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is it ethical to migrate when you used public education?

Pretty much as topic states.

I live in a third world country, I studied most of my life in private institutions, but I got my bachelor degree at a public college (in my country they offer the best education).

I have been thinking of migrating since last year, I tried one really hard interview, which I did not pass, after that I had some family issues which I had to deal with and I gave up for the time. This year I started thinking about it again, but there's always this question in my mind...

I used some thousands of dollars of public money to get my degree, would it be ethical to leave now? I likely already payed that money back in taxes, but still, education tends to be a long term investment.

Also, is it ethical for countries to recruit trained people from others? Canada and Germany are the first ones that come to my mind, as most of my friends who migrated are in those countries now. In a sense they are stealing potential from third world countries who could definitely use it.

What is you guys opinion on this topic?

If there is no life for you outside of the daily chores and you feel there is no sense of progression in your life and you are been held back you should migrate.
    Today you are alive there getting no where tomorrow you can be some where else where people value what you do.

This is so subjective that it doesn't even deem an answer.
    Is is ethical?
    Why wouldn't it be.
    You study you graduate you spend some time trying to get your dreams come true in your country.
    At what point do your dreams become that dreams because your country cannot help you achieve your goals?
    At this point you are already 2 late for this question.

If you have to ask tough think about it because there is something holding you there and it isn't the question of been ethical or not.
    Because to be blunt it is not ethical but when your country doesn't offer you advancement in your life there is one choice and one choice only move and do not look back.

I don't know how many country's economies in the world are propped up by the money immigrants send back home from the US but it's a lot.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Why would it be unethical? Look at Cuba, for example. It has a very good education for doctors/physicians. Once you are educated/trained as a physician, you are required to work outside of the country for a certain amount of time. Many people come to the United States for education and then go back to their home country to practice. There is nothing wrong with that. They didn't "use" the US or do anything unethical by leaving. All the students in the program learned not only the subject being taught, but also how to work with other people and people from other cultures.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong or unethical about leaving once you have your education. If there were, there would be some laws/rules/etc in place to prevent it or pay back what was "taken". Good luck to you in your future endeavors.

Deleted
    So you say someone who was educated in a dictatorship by the state should not be able to migrate?

Deleted
    If your government is corrupt and has no will of bettering the country you are justified to leave imo

Ask any young educated Moroccan why he won't go back if you can

10+ Year Old Account
    Public education is about an obligation the State owes to its citizens, not that citizens are obligated to repay the State for.

I mean, its very gray territory. I wouldn't say its unethical but it is kind of crappy if you do absolutely nothing for your country or work against it after what it has given you (assuming this has value), I wouldn't worry about it/feel bad about it I think when they decide how much they spend on universities most places take into account that a certain amount of people will do what you are trying to do. Just kind of a weird situation. For some reason it reminds me of state funding for roads in a lot of states comes from gas taxes (And some are putting higher registration fees on electric cars), so electric car owners are using the roads for free but reducing costs on society in other ways (you might be doing this). I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, why would it not be?

7+ Year Old Account
    No, it's not unethical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    If there is no life for you outside of the daily chores and you feel there is no sense of progression in your life and you are been held back you should migrate.
    Today you are alive there getting no where tomorrow you can be some where else where people value what you do.

This is so subjective that it doesn't even deem an answer.
    Is is ethical?
    Why wouldn't it be.
    You study you graduate you spend some time trying to get your dreams come true in your country.
    At what point do your dreams become that dreams because your country cannot help you achieve your goals?
    At this point you are already 2 late for this question.

If you have to ask tough think about it because there is something holding you there and it isn't the question of been ethical or not.
    Because to be blunt it is not ethical but when your country doesn't offer you advancement in your life there is one choice and one choice only move and do not look back.
    The main cause is violence, my city is currently in the 50 most dangerous in the world and I plan on having kids sometime in the next five years or so. Also purchasing power is way bigger on any other country I can try to move to.

I think it may be unethical because you are not paying back the investment. I seems kinda selfish to me sometimes.

I don't understand the question. If you get an education from the state it is because they have decided it is your right to receive it. You owe nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I don't understand the question. If you get an education from the state it is because they have decided it is your right to receive it. You owe nothing.
    Something being legal does not make it ethical. You are not legally required to give your sit to an elder person in the bus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Maybe you need an analogy that plays to the to the usual circlejerking of this board.

If the State pays for education, you do not owe the state unconditional loyalty. Is like if the State buys you dinner, you don't owe the State any sex.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm still amazed to read how confused the left is, no idea what exactly they want.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    So you say someone who was educated in a dictatorship by the state should not be able to migrate?
    No, he is not asking if it should be illegal, just if it's ethical, theres a large difference.

On topic:

Personally I have a masters degree from a university in the Netherlands, so I have been sponsored for aprox ~15k/yr for a 5 year degree (I was delayed for 1 year).

Having said that, I feel no sense of civic duty towards this country so if I felt like I would be better off migrating somewhere else this wouldn't factor in at all, simply since me moving to (say) germany means that in the end it evens out.

For 3th world countries this isn't true and brain drain is actually a very real problem. Having said that you don't owe the state anything, especially if you already paid back the financial aid you got in taxes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Serpha View Post
    I'm still amazed to read how confused the left is, no idea what exactly they want.
    care to elaborate how this is relevant to the topic at hand?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hypermode View Post
    No, he is not asking if it should be illegal, just if it's ethical, theres a large difference.
    Unethical to flee from a dictatorship as you have been raised by the local indoctrination camp?

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Public education is about an obligation the State owes to its citizens, not that citizens are obligated to repay the State for.
    I can agree up to high school, I don't see college as a state obligation. Still it is a very limited resource around here. When I took the entrance exams there was 15 candidates for each open position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I don't know how many country's economies in the world are propped up by the money immigrants send back home from the US but it's a lot.
    I have never though about that, that is indeed a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Knolan View Post
    In a sense they are stealing potential from third world countries who could definitely use it.
    Wait, how are countries like Canada and Germany stealing "potential" when you guys are seeking to migrate? Are these countries recruiting or scouting you? If not, ethical dilemmas, if any, are on your end.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Maybe you need an analogy that plays to the to the usual circlejerking of this board.

If the State pays for education, you do not owe the state unconditional loyalty. Is like if the State buys you dinner, you don't owe the State any sex.
    Not even a handy in the parking lot? Awww man.