Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Makes me wish that they should have went with an animated series :P
    Always felt this. Tel'aran'rhiod would be so much better animated rather than the CGI mess it will be unless the budget is mental. Imo. Also all the battles with the one power, with air turning to water and entering and leaving Tel'aran'rhiod midways. Amongst others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The thing is Jordan is VERY GOOD at visual descriptions. I can see in my mind's eye every city, every dress (I want to see the dresses so badly!), every battle. The One Power had a very specific visual with threads of different colors woven to create the effects. And there are certain points that will need to have impressive visuals like the Cleansing of Saidin, using the Bowl of the Winds or when Rand erases Graendal's palace
    Which is why a wheel of time anime would have worked amazingly well certainly better than Rafe's "vision"

What is this about, and why was it more popular than the lord of the rings amazon series in a poll they did recently? I've honestly never heard of it.

Also, loads of sex.
    Lets not lie, we're all here for the Aviendha tiddies.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmAddict View Post
    I agree for later, it would take a very skilled actor.. but this is actually good, he is the star character.. even if Moiraine is being poised as that for the series start, Rand is who it's all about, and his character is very rich.

He starts off simply enough, and actually quite likeable - but the way Jordan writes him, you never stop liking him even when he's gone all tyrant mode because of the madness and the pressure of having both political and supernatural power.

For fantasy to be good, it really needs to be exceptional in everything, script, acting, and the CGI set, it took a lot of love to do the Lord of the Rings right. and Game of Thrones had the author totally effectively involved.

Where are the total fans of the Wheel of time involved? I am a bit concerned that this may not work, I'd have had more confidence with Netflix or Disney doing it. But Amazon needs to pull out a few MASSIVE hits to compete with Disney and Netflix, Hulu and DC streaming service are also coming up.

I fear they are puring everything into the LotR series, but they erally need about 4-5 major hits, and at least 2 super hits, so maybe.
    Disney would have made it into more SJW propaganda and a complete disaster had they obtained the license. It seems like the worst time to make a TV series that is so anti socio political is right now and WoT, while being diverse character wise, has some adult themes that I can assure you will trigger Twitter warriors like crazy. Rand marrying 3 women alone is going to piss them off and they will have a massive menstrual cycle about it I'm sure. People are just way too sensitive for such topics.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I don't think fans have to accept anything. If we hate it, we will hate it. GoT was not succesful because of the existing fans, it was succesful despite them. The same will likely be true for WoT. I hope it doesn't have to be and that it can be reasonably faithful to the source material. But if I feel the characters and the story are unrecognizable, I'd rather not watch it than ruin my existing experience.

Also the series needs a narrator! Probably whoever does the voice of the Creator in those two or three moment when we hear him.
    'Have to accept' was perhaps a clumsy way of putting it. What I mean is, what is being produced is Rafe's 'version' of the story, not Jordans. My reluctance towards the series is for that reason, it will not (likely) be the story I love, but someone's reimagining of it.

I'm mostly here for Rand and Perrin's abs. SO MANY BATH SCENES. Or any scene with Graendal and the Zumanity performance in the background.

Also MILF Min is where it's at.
    I'm sorry dude, it's all about Berelain and Aviendha, gotta get me some of that. Graendal is a good shout, I wanna see some of her servants too. Oof.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as folks accept that this will be a adaptation of the source material, and not a faithful reproduction, there'll be plenty of scope to enjoy the show once it begins to air. There are some things that cannot be messed with, and others that are open to artistic interpretation. I'll admit that the castings thus far haven't matched the character images I have in my mind, but then again, the same is true for a large section of the MCU, and I've loved that journey so far. As long as care is taken pre and post production, I'm sure I'll enjoy the live action version of my favourite fantasy novel series.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also the series needs a narrator! Probably whoever does the voice of the Creator in those two or three moment when we hear her.
    Fixed that for you. It's 2019, you have to have god portrayed as female, or non gender-specific, preferably PoC .

Honestly, I think this show will be more Legends of the Seeker than (early) Game of Thrones. If you're looking for faithful adaptions watch American Gods, or His Dark Materials. This is going to be be a semi entertaining trainwreck, and there's almost no chance it'll run it's course. Enjoy the clusterfuck while you can, and take it for what it is.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    The thing is, Legends of the Seeker could afford to be done that way because the story itself had a smaller cast that was important. WoT has an ENORMOUS cast.
    When I say "It will be more like Legends of the Seeker" I mean it'll be a shitty joke that goes off in it's own direction, and pays only scant lipservice to it's source material. You can do that regardless of budget.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Alright everyone. These are the rules:

1. Take a shot whenever someone tugs their braid.
    2. Take a shot whenever someone adjusts their shawl.
    3. Take a shot whenever someone glares at someone.

I can immagine book (was it 7? The one where mat spends the entire book getting raped at knifepoint by the queen of whatver that citys name was) being memed as the 4th installment of the 50 shades series.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Bloodsail Admiral Smallfruitbat's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    I can immagine book (was it 7? The one where mat spends the entire book getting raped at knifepoint by the queen of whatver that citys name was) being memed as the 4th installment of the 50 shades series.
    -Either that or Egwene getting spanked three times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    -Either that or Egwene getting spanked three times a day.
    Oh, thats a juicy one exile!
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Meh, someone would be interpreting the story in an anime as well.

Is your issue the racial casting? I haven't seen anything problematic so far. Shienaran and Malkieri characters always gave an Asian vibe. Perrin was always swarthy (if anything the actor they've chosen is too light-skinned but he definitely has the right built).

- - - Updated - - -

It's a fairly massive book series (14 novels) with a massive roster of characters. While the story is not particularly original, Jordan manages to write characters you cannot help to love or hate; very few characters leave people indifferent. His world building is also stellar; every place in the books feels alive. He really writes fight scenes well, possibly tapping into his own war experience plus the books are filled with moments of PURE HYPE. If done right, it will be very succesful.

Also, loads of sex.
    Racial casting combined with his crying about how problematic the rand harem is makes me worry he will butcher it for the sake of wokeness.

I DO NOT like the Casting of Mat. He is too pretty boy and does not show a hit of mischief. The rest of the cast thus far are decent.

I am scared SHITLESS of the wokeness infecting this who like the Mashadar of Shadar Logoth. P hope I am not disappointed.

I am looking forward to who will play Ishamael and Shaidar Haran

Blood and ashes, are you trying to get us all killed?

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Racial casting combined with his crying about how problematic the rand harem is makes me worry he will butcher it for the sake of wokeness.
    Here's the thing, taking liberties with an existing IP can be grounds for a lawsuit by the rights holders and backlash from long time fans who the TV will be more popular with than people who have never read the books. I imagine Harriet, as the estate holder of the franchise, can put any major issues to bed. Also, it'd be ironic that any "woke" idiots would bitch about a fictional character being bonded/married to 3 women who all do so of their own free will. All they have to do is tell the story as it is and prove the actions of those women to be justified. If I recall correctly as well, it wasn't something Rand wanted either, he didn't pressure them into it and it was more the inverse.

I think that's one thing Robert Jordan did that anyone complaining of sexism towards women in WoT fail to realize, women are in his world, the one's who hold the power structure. Some of the most prominent characters who aren't the main trio, Lan and Ishamael, are all women. We also can't judge something like a novel series that started over 30 years ago on the standards of what we agree and disagree with today. Not to mention there are cultures in the world that still think having multiple wives is acceptable and there's a lot of leftists who love to defend them.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2019-09-13 at 10:01 PM.

Backlash from fans is what happened with the Dresden Files.
    And whoever is holding the rights to make a movie typically shields itself by contract with the estate holder.

...and I have say that anyone complaining about sexism really have to stretch. Characters, both female and male recognize gender, complain about the opposite sex because such a thing exists in that world..."Women!....Men!" Hell, the one lead is typically that way even though he marries the Empress ("May she live forever")...And his complaints, are outrageous and funny! And to change that is to change the character. And that would be reason to complain.

10+ Year Old Account
    True. Then no one will watch it. Heck the only reason I watched Legend of the Seeker was because Craig Horner looked so good sweaty and half-naked and Tabrett Bethell rocked the red leather catsuit. I don't get that vibe from this cast.
    Same, only reason I watched it was because Bridget Regan is YUM. Fun fact, even she wasn't enough to make me watch Agent Carter season 2.

That's kind of my worry, though. I'm worried that they're going to get woke... then go broke. By trying to steralise the show, they'll piss off the readers, but the show doesn't have the mainstream appeal of GoT, so it wont hook in the general fans. Which leaves them up shit creek, without a paddle.

4: Take a shot whenever someone says "woolhead".