Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    It's similar percentages not similar numbers because the red is the largest by far.
    true but that likely means more of them didn't turn black compared to the other orders as well. if 20/100 turn black from blues then 200/1000 turn black form reds that would still be alot more good red's then blue's even if it also means more bad reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    The problem is when changing one thins changes something bif like the narrative for a whole group of people or how they're normally interact with their enviroment and so on and lets face it, changing 1 thing won´t be the last thing they do and it only spirals out of control after that.
    Making Egwene black is going to have serious implications later on that I don't think they have considered. Namely, how are they going to handle the whole Seanchan thing? Her being enslaved is a pivotal moment in her character arc. It was what brought out her true strength with the one power and the fear and hatred of it drove her for the rest of the story.

What happened to her went beyond simple enslavement, which just enslaves the body - being made damane also enslaves the mind. Those collared are broken in mind. Even captured Aes Sedai, who have an arrogance and view of their own self-worth that rivals the Forsaken, are broken. They come to believe totally and utterly that not only is it right that they are enslaved, but that they deserve it. They are treated little better than favoured pets, and see themselves in that regards to.

Those that have read the books will understand what is going on, but how do you think the viewing public will react when they see a black girl chained up, enslaved and viciously abused in this day and age? You can hear the outrage already. If they change it, they change Egwene's whole character arc. If they leave it in they'll cop a backlash similar to Sansa's rape scene. Probably even worse.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Making Egwene black is going to have serious implications later on that I don't think they have considered. Namely, how are they going to handle the whole Seanchan thing? Her being enslaved is a pivotal moment in her character arc. It was what brought out her true strength with the one power and the fear and hatred of it drove her for the rest of the story.

What happened to her went beyond simple enslavement, which just enslaves the body - being made damane also enslaves the mind. Those collared are broken in mind. Even captured Aes Sedai, who have an arrogance and view of their own self-worth that rivals the Forsaken, are broken. They come to believe totally and utterly that not only is it right that they are enslaved, but that they deserve it. They are treated little better than favoured pets, and see themselves in that regards to.

Those that have read the books will understand what is going on, but how do you think the viewing public will react when they see a black girl chained up, enslaved and viciously abused in this day and age? You can hear the outrage already. If they change it, they change Egwene's whole character arc. If they leave it in they'll cop a backlash similar to Sansa's rape scene. Probably even worse.
    This is exactly what i mean, changeing some miniscule detail, can change sooo much that just leaving it like it was in the books is way better.

7+ Year Old Account

why exactly do you think the'll shy away form the bad guys having slaves? its not like its dolled up to be some good heroic thing its clearly played to make them look bad and any viewing public will think the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Of course i understand why poeple are pissed at something. I think skin color is not something to get pissed about though
    It would be fine if they were either sticking true to the story descriptions or ignoring it entirely, but this half done measure does not work. If they were trying to make it like the books, why are there random exceptions in the cast? If they are not worried about such things, why is nearly the entire main cast a minority? Doing it in between like this reeks of social justice crap, not helped by all the articles claiming they have to modernize it with progressive garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    why exactly do you think the'll shy away form the bad guys having slaves? its not like its dolled up to be some good heroic thing its clearly played to make them look bad and any viewing public will think the same thing.
    Because in current year showing black teenage girls being chained up and abused in a work of fiction is just not allowed.

7+ Year Old Account
    Because in current year showing black teenage girls being chained up and abused in a work of fiction is just not allowed.
    What are you basing this on?

Looking forward to seeing this show. I have a feeling it will be closer in quality to a CW show (not good) than GoT but I hope I'm wrong. It can't be Sword of Truth level of bad though right?

Quote Originally Posted by Xenogeist View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this show. I have a feeling it will be closer in quality to a CW show (not good) than GoT but I hope I'm wrong. It can't be Sword of Truth level of bad though right?
    It can be worse

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's more complex than them just being the bad guys

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Because it's more complex than them just being the bad guys
    Mabye later on ya but in the great hunt they are just bad guys they invade take over enslave/torture some people then get beat up by ghost as if they were a final villain full on with rand even having a fancy sword fight.

Sure like 10 books later (random number) they are more fleshed out but that’s not something to worry about when your showing the bad guys being bad and having slaves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still at book 11.

Nynaeve's summons of Malkieri was pretty goosebumpy

Hope we find out whether that is the case or not, since it will mean they made it to a second season. I'd be surprised if they shy away from it, but that will be a good problem to have. In any case it's mindless speculation to guess at something like that. It would frankly be more racist to shy away from the actual storyline for that reason than to let it play out.

A Harriet Tubman film just came out, didn't she start as a slave? Is it "problematic" to show a young black woman escape slavery and progress to become one of the most powerful women in the world?

Just more nonsense.

Wow, considering the extent they'll butcher the story as written by the books to adapt it for the screen, people are actually pretending the skin colour of actresses is going to lessen their enjoyment more than that?

Imagine going on a forum to pretend your a fan of a book series but at the same time claiming the skin colour of the characters was the most compelling part. And then hoping anyone with a brain would take you remotely seriously. What japes.

Please tell us more about how appearance is critical to 99% of the storyline of WoT, its fascinating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    My main concern remains the CGI for Weave battles.
    I'm confused as to what you mean by "pivotal" arc, as the things you listed just seem like extensions of the character he is in book one, and what I would have thought 'pivotal' meant was "where he changes direction" which is quite clearly after spending a few weeks in the box, where he is no longer "Rand"; until his epiphany on Dragonmount; but will happily concede I don't know what the term "pivotal arc" means.
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Btw, how did you manage to misquote?
    Does the expression "Wake n Bake" mean anything round your parts....

*cough* My bad lol

OT: Fair cop, I'll be the first to admit I often fail to get much more out of a story than the narrative, and things like "themes" or more subtle stuff often goes over my head, I just got the impression since book 1 that Rand was a 'white knight' kinda guy (is it him or Mat who refuses/hesitates to kill that assassin in the barn, I forget) but his whole woolheaded bumpkin thing fed into the whole "Womens lives are more valuable than mens because they are more innocent" (or however you'd sum it up) shtick so his reactions to Moiraine, Leah (if that was the Aiel he loses in Shadar Logoth you meant) and not really understanding Mins more "worldly" outlook is just an expansion of that character, rather than a development. But again that's probably because I don't understand the term "character development" particularly well.

But anyway I digress, as far as I'm concerned, the TV show is going to be fucking terrible for anyone who passionately enjoys the books because it's going to be dumbed down, stripped out and the second half will probably get covered in one series as they rush to capitalise on the "WoT fatigue" that viewers have after 5 or 6 seasons (If I had my way it would have been one of those high-budget animations because then the epic scope of it won't be thinned out because $cost$) If it even gets past the first one with all the silly backlash it's already receiving. Rather just reread the series for the Nth time instead.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2020-02-17 at 09:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look up Amélie Wen Zhao’s 'Blood Heir'. Now imagine the reaction if it had been a TV series, and not a book.

Heck my favourite fantasy series is Malazan Books of the Fallen but there is no way that series could ever be done justice because of how insane it would be graphically (how do you show a Warren battle or the dozens of completely alien races?).
    To be fair, there are a LOT of reasons Malazan can't be filmed, Warren Battles are pretty low on the list . But tbh, after the way they handled adaptions of Harry Potter, Sword of Truth and the Dark Tower, I'm totally fine with one of my all tme favourite books staying as a book.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    All the rape, murder and genocide would be a problem too I guess.
    lil bit, yeah. I mean, people thought the Red Wedding was shocking... they are NOT ready for the Chain of Dogs.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not to put words in the other guys mouth, but i would agree with what he is saying in terms of the PC brigade will take any sliver of ammunition you give them like enslavement and twist it to suit their rhetoric and then move to ruin/cancel/complain about said narrative as it then gives them a platform to shout from. By changing the characters from the books immediately you virtue signal to these people that change is possible so they will then be hell bent on changing everything until its basically ruined and nobody wants to watch it.

They dont give a fuck about the show or books itself, all they care about is pursuing their agenda of social justice and will use any means nessesary to highlight their views. Its the exact same reason that you should never ever apologise to these type of people as it is never enough................nothing is.

By sticking to the books and how it was written, you always have a door you can shut in their faces i.e "not happening as it is not canon". You simply lose that ability as an argument when you start to change the fundamentals, something many many adaptations have fallen foul of.
    Last edited by villie; 2020-02-17 at 10:21 AM.

I am still not ready for the Chain of Dogs. Or the Children of the Dead Seed.
    My blood pressure skyrockets every time I think about the Chain of Dogs, but I'd like to think society would never be ready for the Children of the Dead Seed.

I would like a miniseries on Bauchelain, Korbal Broach, and Emancipor Reese.

Haha that is my plan as well. I don't have any expectations for the series. I will watch it ofc, but no guarantee I'll watch past the first few episodes if I feel it sucks unless the eye candy keeps me interested. It's just that before GoT I did not even think a series like this could even be possible.
    And I have to get my therapist to explain to me why on earth I cry every time Nynaeve heals Logain. I don't think I've ever been as invested in someone's success and happiness as I've been with that braid-tugging woman.
    On a personal level that's really interesting - what are your connection points to Nynaeve?