Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    And so it is, that I've arrived at the end.

I've finished the Wheel of Time series.

Now what?
    Final thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Smallfruitbat View Post
    I still remain vaguely hopeful that they will be respectful of the source material. I accept that there are some things that don't translate directly from book to TV. That said, the fact they have cast Leane and there is a photo of someone who looks very close to the book description of Siuan holding a script for episode (4 or 5) circulating makes me think Season one is a very condensed version of books 1 and 2.
    The other possibility is that they are going to flesh out the Aes Sedai a bit more for the first season. Do something like they did with the Expanse series, where they added a bunch of stuff in order to keep main characters relevant even when they aren't relevant for whole books.

I really hope they don't try to do a "short" series with the WoT. Of the many fantasy series, it's one of the few that has enough source material to make a good in depth "television" series. I'm already skeptical of it with some of the artistic choices they've decided to push with it, an important thing people need to remember is that too much deviation from the source material turns off the fans of the books, which are your initial viewer base that also help expand the audience by word of mouth, the strongest recommendation that exists to this day.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Start a good series like Stormlight Archive.
    Way ahead of you. I finished the current Stormlight Archive way before I started WoT

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's like Game of Thrones, if GRRM was actually the writer he thinks he is.
    Yes, I've been suggested that series too

I initially thought this was a TV series for the game show Wheel of Fortune...

And so it is, that I've arrived at the end.

I've finished the Wheel of Time series.

Now what?
    Now dive into pretty much anything of Brandon Sanderson.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaktar View Post
    Final thoughts?
    On the series or the last book?

On the series much hasn't changed. I still think that Robert Jordan read Lord of the Rings and took Tolkien's world description to an extreme, annoying level.

I reiterate that, even though it seems crucial to the story, the element of suspicion and self doubt also gets on my nerves, particularly amongst characters that are close to one another. Just speak to each other damnit!

As for the last book, I'm on the fence. I'm not entirely sure if large scale battles translate well into paper. It felt like it was all over the place, as it obviously should given the scale and players involved, but at the same time I felt like having a hard time connecting or caring, specially when you involved side character as the main lens through you which you experience a particular moment.

But you certainly notice the evident shift from behind the back plotting to upfront, in your face action.

I was actually expecting the battle to take less of the book. Mine is 1000 pages roughly, and I was expecting it the battle to be finished by page 700 or 800 tops. I guess I wanted more of "and here's what happened with our dear characters after".

The end was quick. I suppose the feeling of it not wanting it to end and wanting to know more makes it bittersweet, and ultimately up to the reader's imagination. Essentially it's a "walks off into the sunset" moment but more....bitter

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noxina View Post
    Now dive into pretty much anything of Brandon Sanderson.
    As I wrote, I've finished the current Stormlight Archive.

On the series or the last book?

On the series much hasn't changed. I still think that Robert Jordan read Lord of the Rings and took Tolkien's world description to an extreme, annoying level.

I reiterate that, even though it seems crucial to the story, the element of suspicion and self doubt also gets on my nerves, particularly amongst characters that are close to one another. Just speak to each other damnit!

As for the last book, I'm on the fence. I'm not entirely sure if large scale battles translate well into paper. It felt like it was all over the place, as it obviously should given the scale and players involved, but at the same time I felt like having a hard time connecting or caring, specially when you involved side character as the main lens through you which you experience a particular moment.

But you certainly notice the evident shift from behind the back plotting to upfront, in your face action.

I was actually expecting the battle to take less of the book. Mine is 1000 pages roughly, and I was expecting it the battle to be finished by page 700 or 800 tops. I guess I wanted more of "and here's what happened with our dear characters after".

The end was quick. I suppose the feeling of it not wanting it to end and wanting to know more makes it bittersweet, and ultimately up to the reader's imagination. Essentially it's a "walks off into the sunset" moment but more....bitter

- - - Updated - - -

I recommend everything in the Cosmere Collection (https://www.brandonsanderson.com/books-and-art/#cosmere), they are all connected in some way. And every time you read them, you notice something new that connects them. Amazing books.
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    How about Mistborn?

If you are looking for more recommendations, here are a few I particularly enjoyed. All are completed as well and a couple also have sequel/prequel series:

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. This is the one example of Grimdark fantasy I really enjoyed, mostly due to an outstanding cast of characters.

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Fun series with a pretty inventive world and magic system. It actually began life as a challenge from one author to another to create a series that combined two "lame" ideas, The Lost Roman Legion and Pokemon.

The Riyria Revelations
    Series by Michael J. Sullivan. Probably the most typical fantasy series in this list. Again, it is the characters that drew me into the story, in particular the main pair who were an interesting twist on the somewhat cliche "nimble thief and powerful warrior" pairing.

Powder Mage Series by Brian McClellan. One of my all time favorites. Just a fantastic series in a well realized world. It is thus far my only foray into the Flintlock fantasy genre, but I do mean to check out more at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about Mistborn?

If you are looking for more recommendations, here are a few I particularly enjoyed. All are completed as well and a couple also have sequel/prequel series:

The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. This is the one example of Grimdark fantasy I really enjoyed, mostly due to an outstanding cast of characters.

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Fun series with a pretty inventive world and magic system. It actually began life as a challenge from one author to another to create a series that combined two "lame" ideas, The Lost Roman Legion and Pokemon.

The Riyria Revelations
    Series by Michael J. Sullivan. Probably the most typical fantasy series in this list. Again, it is the characters that drew me into the story, in particular the main pair who were an interesting twist on the somewhat cliche "nimble thief and powerful warrior" pairing.

Powder Mage Series by Brian McClellan. One of my all time favorites. Just a fantastic series in a well realized world. It is thus far my only foray into the Flintlock fantasy genre, but I do mean to check out more at some point.
    I'm into any high medieval ish fantasy style really.

From Brandon, I've stuck to the Archive, reading only what's her name side story/book. Christ, I've forgotten all the names already.

From your list I only recognize Michael J. Sullivan, because I've read his Legends of the First Empire, although I haven't read the latest release. I think Age of War was the last one I read.

From Brandon, I've stuck to the Archive, reading only what's her name side story/book. Christ, I've forgotten all the names already.

From your list I only recognize Michael J. Sullivan, because I've read his Legends of the First Empire, although I haven't read the latest release. I think Age of War was the last one I read.
    The Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

Licanius Trilogy by James Islington.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's like Game of Thrones, if GRRM was actually the writer he thinks he is.
    That's a silly thing to say. GRRM has never been arrogant about his writing as far as I know.

Also, they're very different. Malazan is nothing like A Song of Ice and Fire. Both are great, but I personally think GRRM writes better and more personal stories with more relatable and realistic character development. But as my name indicates, I love Malazan too!

----

On Wheel of Time, I think the last 3 books under Sanderson gradually got worse. The Gathering Storm sort of functions as an end to the series for me, with Rand's character arc finally ending at the top of Dragonmount. The last book did nothing for me, and read largely as fan fiction (which it literally was, I guess).

Then again, I'm probably one of few who got tired of Sanderson after Mistborn. I managed to get through the first book in the Stormlight series, but I have no motivation to continue. For me, I feel like it's sometimes apparent whether authors have lived rich lives full of relevant experiences to their writings. Sanderson to me reads like a nerd just trying to make up "awesome" stuff, while guys like Robert Jordan, Eriksen, GRRM or even (maybe especially) Tolkien has a sort of authenticity to their writing many of the new younger fantasists can't match.

---
    Also, a prediction for the WoT tv show: They'll totally misunderstand what makes Mat a cool character. Just wait and see all the "funny" oneliners that's gonna come from him.
    Last edited by Kallor; 2020-03-22 at 01:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

If you enjoyed Stormlight, I highly recommend Mistborn.

Legends of the First Empire is a prequel series to Riyria Revelations taking place in the same world in the distant past. It is one of two prequel series he wrote to Riyria Revelations, the other being Riyria Chronicles that tells the story of how to the heroes in Revelations first meet and team up. Also, Age of War was actually the third in the series. He has written two more since then and has a sixth and final book in the series planned to release later this year.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you enjoyed Stormlight, I highly recommend Mistborn.

Legends of the First Empire is a prequel series to Riyria Revelations taking place in the same world in the distant past. It is one of two prequel series he wrote to Riyria Revelations, the other being Riyria Chronicles that tells the story of how to the heroes in Revelations first meet and team up. Also, Age of War was actually the third in the series. He has written two more since then and has a sixth and final book in the series planned to release later this year.
    I dunno, it was the one where the god killer dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallor View Post
    That's a silly thing to say. GRRM has never been arrogant about his writing as far as I know.

Also, they're very different. Malazan is nothing like A Song of Ice and Fire. Both are great, but I personally think GRRM writes better and more personal stories with more relatable and realistic character development. But as my name indicates, I love Malazan too!

----

On Wheel of Time, I think the last 3 books under Sanderson gradually got worse. The Gathering Storm sort of functions as an end to the series for me, with Rand's character arc finally ending at the top of Dragonmount. The last book did nothing for me, and read largely as fan fiction (which it literally was, I guess).

Then again, I'm probably one of few who got tired of Sanderson after Mistborn. I managed to get through the first book in the Stormlight series, but I have no motivation to continue. For me, I feel like it's sometimes apparent whether authors have lived rich lives full of relevant experiences to their writings. Sanderson to me reads like a nerd just trying to make up "awesome" stuff, while guys like Robert Jordan, Eriksen, GRRM or even (maybe especially) Tolkien has a sort of authenticity to their writing many of the new younger fantasists can't match.

---
    Also, a prediction for the WoT tv show: They'll totally misunderstand what makes Mat a cool character. Just wait and see all the "funny" oneliners that's gonna come from him.
    Your prediction for the show is chilling in its probable accuracy.

You're not the only one who feels that way about Sanderson, and I think you really nail why - someone who has been just a writer for their life vs someone who lived a life and then wrote fiction informed by their experiences. The former can be good, but not if they're trying to write like the latter.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

That would be Edgedancer, Lyft's book. She's an interesting character, I hope she gets tied in at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kallor View Post

----

---
    The problem is that there wasn't much material for Sanderson to draw from to finish out the series. Sporadic notes, at best but he did have to create a lot of the story from scratch. I don't like how AMoL read, it was too bouncy and jumped between so many characters. I wish more focus had been given to bringing in Demandred and his backstory so that it didn't just seem like he appeared out of the blue and starts wrecking shit. I think Mat and Perrin's stories could have been wrapped up before AMoL. It really felt like the Slayer/Luc arc with Perrin was dragged on for about 3 books too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    That would be Edgedancer, Lyft's book. She's an interesting character, I hope she gets tied in at some point.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is that there wasn't much material for Sanderson to draw from to finish out the series. Sporadic notes, at best but he did have to create a lot of the story from scratch. I don't like how AMoL read, it was too bouncy and jumped between so many characters. I wish more focus had been given to bringing in Demandred and his backstory so that it didn't just seem like he appeared out of the blue and starts wrecking shit. I think Mat and Perrin's stories could have been wrapped up before AMoL. It really felt like the Slayer/Luc arc with Perrin was dragged on for about 3 books too long.
    I agree it would have been nice to get Demandred's backstory. Still I found his role in the final battle to be rather badassed. I hope they do his voice projection and mowing down columns of troops justice in the show.
    Bandwagon sports fans can eat a bag of http://www.ddir.com/ .

I'm guessing with things being as they are at the moment it might be a while before we get this now.

I think I'll reread the whole series now...