Deleted

New player wanting to heal

Hey all
    Just wanted to get some advice about starting out in FF14.
    I recently picked up ARR and HW through steam as I've felt my dedication to WoW fading, yet I'm an old school MMO player, having played wow since vanilla as a raider, dark age of camelot, a bit of Lineage, etc.

I read the FAQ in this forum which helped me to understand the way the class/job system works, but I was looking for some advice on the different healing options within the game.

I've pretty much always played a healer in WoW as my main, with either a tank/dps off spec/alt.
    I prefer a more reactive type of healer (especially one with some relatively decent mobility) as that has always suited my play style best. Obviously I appreciate that wow and ff are different games and may not share similarities in this respect.
    My goal is to main a healer in end game, hopefully once I understand the mechanics and basics of the game within a few months, I would like to try out raiding eventually.

So, if you were just throwing out opinions, as I know that the amount of enjoyment that we all get from classes can differ, what are good options to look at when it comes to choosing a healer to play and why?

Appreciate any help thrown my way
    Last edited by mmocba4c35b496; 2017-05-09 at 09:23 PM.

To start out, you'll want to roll as Conjurer, since this is the only healer job you can start off with at the beginning of the game. It eventually evolves into the White Mage job, which is more of a reactive healer. Scholar is more proactive with it's shielding. Astrologian has two different Sects it can swap between to go from regen-based healing (reactive) to shield-based (proactive); AST won't be available to you for some time, though, since it requires the entirety of the main story quest to be done up to Heavensward content/quests before you can unlock it.

If you wanting immediate healing you pick conjurer, otherwise go arcanist that starts as DPS but at 30 can become a scholar which is a pet based healer over white mages straight whack a mole basic heal turret. Bit more work but tends to be the preferred healer at ARR stuff and later there's astrologian at 50 that heals either way but also uses a tarot deck to draw and shuffle buffs and in my opi ion is the ost fun and rewarding.

But bare in mind the big difference to WoW is a healer is expected to DPS now and then using a skill called Cleric Stance to make damage spells scale with your heal boosting stats, usually to help burn trash or chip at a boss during downtime between tank busters a d such.

Deleted
    Thanks for commenting folks. From the few videos I watched on youtube which go through the toolkits of each healer and give comparisons between them, I can safely say that playing a White Mage seems to be right up my street, closely followed by the Astrologian. The only thing that seems to put me off the Astrologian is the RNG of the card system.

I certainly don't mind dpsing during downtime in the slightest, I've always said it really separates the great healers from the average ones, and having played a MW monk for so long, which before the current wow expansion had a tonne of synergy with dpsing, I would feel right at home once I learn when to heal and when to dps.

So I will be starting my adventures as a White Mage this evening

Also, all healers will want to level thaumaturge to level 26 for swiftcast

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    That won't be an issue come June.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    ^bare in mind right now certain mandatory for high level play are learnt from specific jobs. Eg a DPS might want to level monk to something like 15 for a job like ninja. Cooldowns, cleric stance and so on.

However in like 5 weeks 4.0 hits and changes this system to a set of skills for the role u pick and choose not locked to any job so for now just focus on levelling as the combat revamps getting real close and guides will be at least in part redundant for a few days as the new situation becomes the norm

Quote Originally Posted by Dougal View Post
    I certainly don't mind dpsing during downtime in the slightest, I've always said it really separates the great healers from the average ones, and having played a MW monk for so long, which before the current wow expansion had a tonne of synergy with dpsing, I would feel right at home once I learn when to heal and when to dps.

I like this guy - hopefully we cross paths one day in a dungeon/raid.

what server are you on lol. (come to gilgamesh :P)

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Appreciate any help thrown my way
    Level a femroe on gilga or balmung.
    You cared enough to post.

Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Level a femroe on gilga or balmung.
    That's currently impossible as character creation and transfers to both of those worlds are completely disabled for the foreseeable future.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

For reactive healing definitely CNJ/WHM.

You can also try AST after completing HW as it offers reactive healing (through a self buff/stance) similar to WHM but also party buffs. You could also try out healing with absorbs using its other self buff/stance if you feel like adding that to your toolkit but that is not necessary.

I do recommend using discord and joining some of the servers you can find through google searches for discussions on the classes/healing and you can ask questions to other players there.

Thanks for commenting folks. From the few videos I watched on youtube which go through the toolkits of each healer and give comparisons between them, I can safely say that playing a White Mage seems to be right up my street, closely followed by the Astrologian. The only thing that seems to put me off the Astrologian is the RNG of the card system.

NO! Do not do that!
    In FFXIV they watch flowers growing in the fields and dance around the fire in strange rituals that will turn you into a roleplayer addict(like those behind Goldshire)!
    LOL